• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bulldog
    Top Dog
    • Jan 2003

Michael Turner tidbit

MICHAEL TURNER TIDBIT: For those that haven't seen it, I thought this was an interesting revelation about trade talks concerning Michael Turner. It appeared on ESPN.com with Pro Football Weekly's Trent Modglin commenting during an online PFW chat session.

Mike, Fallbrook, CA: In light of the Shaub deal between then Falcons and Texans, You have to believe that Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith is going to shop Michael Turner for the best price he can get before the draft; he says the phones have been ringing and I still feel that the Packers, Bills or Browns will step up with a creative and fair offer; AJ loves young talent and will not let him walk away next season without any compensation;

Trent Modglin: (4:03 PM ET ) Funny Mike, I actually just put a call into Turner's agent right before I logged on to see what was going on. Unfortunately, I got his voice mail. However, I think AJ Smith will have to listen to deals that will come in the weeks leading up to the draft, especially if a first-round pick is involved for a backup RB he's likely to lose next season anyway. I hear that the Bills, Packers and Browns

It seems like a lot of people don't like the idea of Buffalo making a play for Turner. I for one would love the move. While Turner hasn't been tested as a full time starter in the NFL, I think he has shown enough to warrent an opportunity to be a starter in this league. And please don't compare M. turner to L. Jordan, because Jordan couldn't hold Turners jock when it comes to god given ability. While there is no gurantee that Turner will be a stud, the same can be said for any of the backs that will be available in April. I guess it all comes down to what SD wants for him and what kind of contract he'll be looking for.
    I only drink when I'm alone or with others.
  • ricogarion
    • Apr 2003

Re: Michael Turner tidbit

I am not an advocate of helping teams that are Super Bowl caliber get richer by giving up my extremely valuable draft picks to them for players that will be free agents in one season.Use the picks to enhance your own club and to hell with the Chargers and AJ Smith.
    I'm your huckleberry.

Wyatt Earp: "Been hitting it awful hard, haven't ya?"

Doc Holliday: Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

I would be willing ot part with one of our 3rd's this year and a pick in 2008 no higher then a 3rd (the 2008 pick should be a performance/durability/play time based pick)

The other interesting thing here is I'm sure AJ and Marv have some positive history together from back in the day, which might bode well for us in negotiations.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
        I would be willing ot part with one of our 3rd's this year and a pick in 2008 no higher then a 3rd (the 2008 pick should be a performance/durability/play time based pick)
        Exactly, we shouldn't have to give up more than we got for Willis, who was a proven back.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ricogarion
          I am not an advocate of helping teams that are Super Bowl caliber get richer by giving up my extremely valuable draft picks to them for players that will be free agents in one season.Use the picks to enhance your own club and to hell with the Chargers and AJ Smith.
          Umm.. draft picks = Players

Michael Turner = a Player ! One who is familiar with the NFL. Not some college guy with potential.

I'll leave it up to the the Bills to decide whether he's worth the trade.

Some here treat draft picks as a sure thing. They're not.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bulldog
            Top Dog
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Night Train
            Umm.. draft picks = Players

Michael Turner = a Player ! One who is familiar with the NFL. Not some college guy with potential.

I'll leave it up to the the Bills to decide whether he's worth the trade.

Some here treat draft picks as a sure thing. They're not.
            Couldn't have said it better myself. At least Turner has had some success, albeit in a back up role, in the NFL. Which is more than can be said of Peterson and Lynch at this point. This isn't a real strong year for RB's in the draft, and I'd rather take my chances with Turner than a rookie.

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

As I recall, trading for Turner was supposed to be a pipe dream. Get er done, Marv!

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                Legendary Zoner
                • Jul 2002

This is funny. The Chargers are talking about getting a first rounder, and you guys think that they will gladly take one of our 3rds.

Willing to pony up the first rounder for Turner? I'm not.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Review the last several drafts and look at all the bombs drafted on Day 1.

A recent article I read stated roughly 50 % of the 1st round picks don't ever make the expected impact and are considered busts. They then stated you could increase that by 10 % in each of the next 3-4 rounds.

If you see a vet you like and he shows something on the NFL level, it's probably a good gamble to try and aquire him.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Bulldog
                    Top Dog
                    • Jan 2003

I really think the ball is in SD's court. They can either be realistic in their demands for Turner and get a 3rd rounder or possibly a 2nd, or they can hang on to him for this year and get nothing for him next year. I don't think SD has a whole lot of leverage.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

Willing to give up the 2nd rounder? I'm not.

Comment

• Bulldog
                        Top Dog
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                        This is funny. The Chargers are talking about getting a first rounder, and you guys think that they will gladly take one of our 3rds.

Willing to pony up the first rounder for Turner? I'm not.
                        No way in hell will SD get a 1st rounder for Turner. Like I said earlier, they can either be realistic in their demands for Turner and get a 3rd rounder or possibly a 2nd, or they can hang on to him for this year and get nothing for him next year.

Comment

• Elminster
                          #1 Kelsay Fan
                          • Oct 2006

I'd give them a 2nd. We were probably going to go LB-RB or RB-LB in the first two rounds anyways. If the guy we want at 12 isn't there, we can always try to move down....
                          Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• Bulldog
                            Top Dog
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                            Willing to give up the 2nd rounder? I'm not.
                            Probably not. I'd be willing to part with a 3rd this year and a 3rd next year. Pretty much would be giving up what Buffalo got for McGahee. Buffalo's 2nd is a little too rich.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Turner would be a great fit for you guys. I don't think he is worth the #12, but if I were the Bills I'd gladly hand over your high 2nd or multiple picks equaling lower first round value.

Turner is a heck of a player.

Comment

Working...
                              X