PDA

View Full Version : Briggs Trade On Hold

gr8slayer
03-28-2007, 09:47 AM
The Bears have initially said no to a trade that would send Lance Briggs to Washington.
It's a good deal for Chicago, but the Bears don't like feeling "bullied" or rushed into a deal by Drew Rosenhaus' frontal media assault. They will continue to think about the deal, but may not want to pay the salary of such a high draft pick.

gr8slayer
03-28-2007, 09:49 AM
The Bears are so stupid.

camelcowboy
03-28-2007, 09:51 AM
Give them the twelve straight up.

OpIv37
03-28-2007, 09:52 AM
draft picks are like kryptonite for the Redskins. Danny Snyder needs to hire a real GM- right now, he and Gibbs try to do everything themselves.

RockStar36
03-28-2007, 09:59 AM
From what I heard yesterday the Redskins aren't even technically offering the 6th overall. I heard that they want to swap with the Bears 31st pick. So for Briggs, the Bears just move up 25 spots in the first round. Sounded similar to the TJ deal.

McBFLO
03-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Like someone already said on this thred. Give'm the #12 straight up. Or, we could swap 1st rounders.

madness
03-28-2007, 10:04 AM
From what I heard yesterday the Redskins aren't even technically offering the 6th overall. I heard that they want to swap with the Bears 31st pick. So for Briggs, the Bears just move up 25 spots in the first round. Sounded similar to the TJ deal.

I've heard the same thing. The Bears are full of ****. They'd rather pay Briggs all that money on the franchise tag then pay the 6th overall pick? They might still think they have hope of signing Briggs longterm.

camelcowboy
03-28-2007, 10:04 AM

Basically to jump from the 31 spot to the 6 it requires a thousand points.

Sixth Spot 1600 31st 600. So they are offering the equivalent of the 16th pick in the 1st round of the draft for Briggs. The number 12 pick straight up is about 1200 points. So if the bills offer their first its better then the skins deal. Plus Chicago would be able to pay less of a salary. I'd do it.

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 10:10 AM
The Bears save money by franchising him so they don't have to pay a huge signing bonus.

gr8slayer
03-28-2007, 10:12 AM
The Bears save money by franchising him so they don't have to pay a huge signing bonus.
None of it matters if he plans to sit out the first ten games.

Mitchy moo
03-28-2007, 10:16 AM

No that would squash that real quick. At least with us they get our 12th pick & we can have a defensive beast on the d side (which we need).

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 10:19 AM
They save a lot of money then since they will only have to pay for 6 games.

gr8slayer
03-28-2007, 10:22 AM
They save a lot of money then since they will only have to pay for 6 games.
No, according to ESPN Radio (at least the way I interpreted it) the NFL considers playing six games a full seasons worth if you are franchised.

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 10:28 AM
If he holds out until the last 6 games, the Bears only have to pay him for those 6 games, but it does count as a year in the world of "Franchise players"

gr8slayer
03-28-2007, 10:29 AM
If he holds out until the last 6 games, the Bears only have to pay him for those 6 games, but it does count as a year in the world of "Franchise players"
I'll have to do some research, that's not the way I heard it.

camelcowboy
03-28-2007, 10:29 AM
No, according to ESPN Radio (at least the way I interpreted it) the NFL considers playing six games a full seasons worth if you are franchised.

No they get paid weekly, for Briggs he would be missing out on a paycheck that is roughly under 500,000 a week. The last six weeks he'd get that money but he wouldn't get the full amount of the franchise tag. By playing six weeks Briggs would have enought games for this season to count for him. If he sits out the whole year then this years tag would still stick next year.

Briggs plays six games the tag is gone, then if the bears tag him next year the amount of tag goes up significantly.

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 10:31 AM
They can still tag him again for 2 years after next, should they choose.

During the 85 season, two starters held out all season, Todd Bell and some LB whose name escapes me.

Those of you who think Ralph is cheap should take a look at the Bears.

RockStar36
03-28-2007, 10:33 AM

During the 85 season, two starters held out all season, Todd Bell and some LB whose name escapes me.

I'll add to that.

Those of you who think the Bills make stupid trades should take a look at the Bears.

gr8slayer
03-28-2007, 10:35 AM

Seriously. They are in place to win it all and they are crapping it away.

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 10:36 AM
However, they are smart enough to lock up all their players except Briggs, and for the most part they've drafted well.

gr8slayer
03-28-2007, 10:37 AM
However, they are smart enough to lock up all their players except Briggs, and for the most part they've drafted well.
They did let Jones go.

camelcowboy
03-28-2007, 10:37 AM

It become ridiculous money after the 1st franchise tag. It would cost the bear serious dough if they want to franchise briggs next year. Something like 12 million.

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2007, 10:40 AM
It become ridiculous money after the 1st franchise tag. It would cost the bear serious dough if they want to franchise briggs next year. Something like 12 million.
Beats paying a $15+ mil signing bonus plus $7+ mil a year.