PDA

View Full Version : Ingtar: What about the following DTs in the draft?

WG
03-10-2003, 12:51 PM
27. Kevin Williams DT 6-4, 300 Oklahoma State
Quick senior made a huge difference on the Cowboys' defense.

35. *Dewayne Robertson DT 6-2, 315 Kentucky
Quick wide body defender gets a powerful push in the middle.

43. *Johnathan Sullivan DT 6-4, 310 Georgia
Another in a long line of talented front-four defenders for Bulldogs.

49. *Ian Scott DT 6-2, 310 Florida
Wide body tackle is stout at the point of attack.

From the USA Today.

Seems like all those guys are big bodies that would stuff a run.

Thoughts? Anyone...

Tatonka
03-10-2003, 12:52 PM
i heard sullivan is a heavier version of seymeor

WG
03-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Either way, those guys all have good size, played for schools that have tough schedules, and go up against some of the better D-I competition.

I'm starting to think that we should forget Adams if there are health/knee issues and simply draft a DT as long as there is one that we can grab at late first or midway thru the second. Youth w/ stamina may serve us better than experience that is hampered. Certainly speed would likely be more w/ a rookie.

THATHURMANATOR
03-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Yeah if adam's knee is degenerative I wouldn't put to much cash in him...

Earthquake Enyart
03-10-2003, 01:28 PM
I don't know how anybody who watched the Super Bowl would want to sign Sam Adams. :shakeno:

Fatwhite02
03-10-2003, 02:12 PM
I think all of those guys except scott will be gone when the bills pick. Robertson and williams for sure.

Ingtar33
03-10-2003, 02:32 PM
You asked so here it comes... (God! long bus rides suck, but at least the cell phone service is good... I hope I don't loose you or the post so here it comes.

Kevin Williams: Just last year I would have said this guy’s got nothing... but wow what a year he had. He's fast, and big... I have him listed sub 300lbs, but I know recently he topped 300 pounds at a weigh in. He's got a huge frame so he could put on even more weight. He is a tremendous bull rusher, and slides through the gaps with an agility you don't see often. He basically spent his senior campaign camped in opposing backfields. Great upper body strength, probably could start as an UT right now, more likely a potential NT in a few years. The biggest snag is he doesn't have great lower body strength, which will make him an unlikely prospect for our 2-gap defense. He wouldn't last till our pick.

Dewayne Robertson: He probably wouldn't be on the board for our pick late in the round. He's a guaranteed NT, and could command double teams his first year in the NFL. Moves the pocket well, not many prospects jump out at you, this one does.

Johnathan Sullivan: another DT who wouldn't be on he board when we pick, similar in many ways to Kevin Williams, unfortunately that also translates to the fact he needs to work on a few thing before he will become a good 2-gap player.

Ian Scott: Big dude, have to admit I really haven't paid him much mind... he's a project player, and unless someone thinks highly of him I don't see him going higher than early round four.

Bulldog
03-10-2003, 02:45 PM
That doesen't really make me feel any better about Buffalo waiting to draft a DT rather than signing one in FA. If Adams doesen't work out for one reason or another, what other options remain?

DraftBoy
03-10-2003, 03:23 PM
I still like Nick Eason in rd. 2 from Clemson guy has a continous motor and just doesnt ever seem to stop.

Tatonka
03-10-2003, 03:44 PM
ing, what would you recommend as the best starter we could grab at DT for this draft, assuming we dont move up.

DraftBoy
03-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Alot of people say we are going to pickup that kid oyut of Ohio St. Kenny Peterson is his name I believe, but if we sign Adams or another DT this all changes

WG
03-10-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I don't know how anybody who watched the Super Bowl would want to sign Sam Adams. :shakeno:

I partially agree w/ you EE. I hear ya that he's overrated significantly. If you remember, I was crowing about signing him last year big time, but after this year, I more side w/ you now. He didn't impress me either over in Oakland. The Raiders had a great run D but there were plenty of other reasons for it as well. Not just Adams.

We need a DT and I really wish we had at least talked to Thornton. I really think he's gonna be good. Either way, he would have solved our DT issue for some years to come at a fair and reasonable price.

If we sign Adams, I really hope it's a contract that provides for us to cut his arse after the season should his knees or other issues have hampered his performance.

But the only thing that I can see being a black mark on this otherwise stellar offseason is our not filling that DT role. Perhaps TD has a trade-up in the offing. Who knows. But we've got to fill that need or we won't have the rush D again. It'll be better, but it would still be a weakness. Not a good weakness to have in the NFL.

Nighthawk
03-10-2003, 09:15 PM
I agree Wys...whoa, did I just say that? Anyway, the Bills NEED to pickup a DT and it needs to be a guy who can stop the run. I know he is DE, but I know he has played DT in the past and is a good runstuffer...how about Vonnie Holliday? Young with still a lot of upside...yes, he had injury problems this past year, but a couple of years ago he was the man everybody wanted. I think this guy would be a great fit on the Bills DL...any thoughts?

justasportsfan
03-10-2003, 09:28 PM
TD could address the DT in the later rds. of the draft. It's supposed to be deep and TD said it before, "you get the best athlete out there". Josh Reed.

WG
03-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Sure, let's sign Holiday then. Especially if he can play DT. He's got good size.

Novacane
03-10-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Wys Guy

But the only thing that I can see being a black mark on this otherwise stellar offseason is our not filling that DT role. .

Patience my friend:) It's a looong offseason. TD will address the DT. He knows thats a hole that needs to be plugged.

Tatonka
03-10-2003, 10:18 PM
holiday has never played DT .. and he wont start now.

TigerJ
03-10-2003, 11:00 PM
In addition to being a "project" Ian Scott is also a health risk. He has asthma. I'm not sure how that may affect him. I like Peterson because he can play inside or out, Winfield. Thus if Buffalo did sign a big FA DT at some point, Peterson could play effectively for us at LDE. Later in the draft, James Lee has great size and excellent speed. He won't go high because he didn't get a lot of playing time in college. He could be picked up in round 4 and might be a pretty good value there.