PDA

View Full Version : Walker Eager To Improve Bills

The Answer
03-28-2007, 05:24 PM
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070328/SPORTS03/703280354

Walker eager to improve Bills

<!--(SPORTS03) Staff--><!-- --><!-- ArticleByline2 --><!-- STORY TEXT --><!--STORY TEXT-->
Sal Maiorana (smaioran@democratandchronicle.com)
Staff writer

(March 28, 2007) — Darwin Walker referenced all the success the Eagles enjoyed during the six-plus years he spent in Philadelphia, and his fervent hope is that some of that rubs off on his new team, the Buffalo Bills.
So do the Bills.

Buffalo acquired Walker on Monday night from the Eagles along with a conditional 2008 draft pick for linebacker Takeo Spikes and backup quarterback Kelly Holcomb.

"All I know is that I want to come in and make the team better," Walker said via phone Tuesday afternoon. "I think with my experience and going to championship games in Philadelphia, and also being in a defense where we've had some success, hopefully I can help our defense in Buffalo have some success."

Walker was originally drafted in the third round out of Tennessee in 2000 by Arizona but was released at the end of training camp and claimed by the Eagles. After two years or relative inactivity, he became a starter at defensive tackle in 2002 and started every game during the next three seasons including seven playoff games and Super Bowl XXXIX against New England.

He missed three games in 2005 due to a bruised thigh, but otherwise started all but two games the past two years and had two more playoff appearances in 2006.

Last season he had six sacks and two more in Philadelphia's playoff loss to New Orleans, and has 27.5 for his career.

"Over the course of my career I've been very successful getting to the quarterback, and I look forward to that, but you have to stop them on first and second down to get there, and I don't think that will be an issue," he said.

The Bills also hope that is the case.

Walker plays the same three-technique position that Larry Tripplett was signed to play last year as a big-money free agent. Both players are in the 295-pound range and their greatest strength is quickness and penetrating into the backfield.

"I think it fits me perfectly; that's what I do," Walker said of Buffalo's defensive style.

What the Bills really need is a run-stuffing tackle, and Walker may not give them that, but he's not averse to trying.

"We played two-gap every year I played with the Eagles, but we mostly played one-gap and that's where I thrive," he said. "But I can play the two-gap. A lot of times stopping the run is about attitude as much as it is anything else. You stop the run, then lay your ears down and go get the quarterback."

The Eagles ranked 21st, 16th and 26th the past three years against the run, and in those years Walker made 47, 40 and 36 tackles.

Walker, who turns 30 in June, was most likely going to lose his starting job this coming season after the Eagles acquired free agent tackle Montae Reagor. His agent had been trying to negotiate a contract extension last year, but was not able to, so Walker asked for a trade, and the Eagles came through.

"This is the best situation for me and I'm looking forward to it," he said. "It's not like I didn't expect it. We asked for the trade and we knew it was probably going to happen. At this point in my career, being able to come into a young team will be beneficial.

"I'm very excited about this opportunity and I'm looking forward to getting down there. We have a young team with lots of potential and I'm looking forward to being part of something."

SMAIORAN@DemocratandChronicle.com (SMAIORAN@DemocratandChronicle.com)

~The Answer

SABURZFAN
06-01-2007, 02:10 AM
:laughter:

:monkeyp: darwin walker

BADTHINGSMAN
06-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Looks more like he wants to improve his wallet..

Michael82
06-01-2007, 07:50 AM
"I'm very excited about this opportunity and I'm looking forward to getting down there. We have a young team with lots of potential and I'm looking forward to being part of something."

This quote just really pisses me off!!! :mad: :curse:

gr8slayer
06-01-2007, 07:52 AM
This quote just really pisses me off!!! :mad: :curse:
Why? Sounds sincere.

Michael82
06-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Why? Sounds sincere.
check out the date of the article.....

March 28th. :ill:

gr8slayer
06-01-2007, 08:00 AM
check out the date of the article.....

March 28th. :ill:
Ah yes, it's amazing what the thought of money does to a person.

patmoran2006
06-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Where is the Answer?

On another whirlwind mini camp tour across the country???

Static
06-01-2007, 08:50 AM
Where is the Answer?

On another whirlwind mini camp tour across the country???

Apparently he hasn't made it to June yet.

Jan Reimers
06-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Maybe it isn't the money at all. I think - based on his quote about "getting down there" - that he simply doesn't know where Buffalo is. You obviously can't get to Buffalo from Philly by going "down" anywhere.

Gunzlingr
06-01-2007, 09:10 AM
If he was planning on going down, he must have thought he was being traded to the dolphins!