PDA

View Full Version : Pacman's Lawyers Will Fight NFL If Punishment Is Layed Down

gr8slayer
03-28-2007, 09:33 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2816646

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Meet Adam Jones. A speedy cornerback and punt returner who can turn a game with one play and is filled with all the self-confidence anyone could need. Nicknames? Pacman -- and now poster boy for all that's wrong with the NFL.

"It sure feels that way," attorney Manny Arora said of his client.

The Titan's legal defense kicked into high gear Wednesday after Las Vegas police said they will seek three charges for Jones' role in a Las Vegas strip club fight Feb. 19. The immediate concern is what the NFL will do to the two-year pro.

And yes, his attorneys will fight league punishment for a man they say is working hard to grow up and learn from his mistakes.

"I think we'll see a better Adam. I just need to get him through this little storm here, and then we'll move on. The problem is the district attorney's probably going to want to arrest him because of the political pressure, and we have to work it out," Arora said.

Jones will have a meeting Tuesday with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to explain for himself the 10 separate incidents in which the player has talked with police since the Titans made him the first defensive player drafted in April 2005.

He has been arrested five times with no convictions.

But the Las Vegas incident could complicate other cases: A plea agreement in a Tennessee case of public intoxication could be revoked and a Georgia case from February 2006 that is pending from Fayetteville police who say Jones interfered with them while dropping off his girlfriend at her parents' home.

A Nevada prosecutor expects to receive a report from Las Vegas police by Monday and will decide if charges should be filed. Police want Jones charged with a felony count of coercion and misdemeanor counts of battery and threat. A decision on charges could take up to 10 days.

"It won't go at the bottom of the stack. It certainly won't be on the top of the stack either," Clark County district attorney David Roger said.

Bulldog
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Here's a novel idea Pacman, stop being a complete a-hole thug all the time and this stuff won't be an issue. And is his attorney serious with the whole political pressure comment? I think the DA wants to press charges because he "allegedly" punched a dancer in the face. I hope Pacman goes to jail!

Illmatic15
03-28-2007, 10:12 PM
YEA!!! A BROWN MAN REPPIN PACMAN!! lol!! were on he map :P

camelcowboy
03-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Im not going to loose any sleep if the NFL suspends Pac-man or Henry. To bad they didn't buckle down after ray lewis helped kill a dude in a night club. Or the receiver from the panther's put a hit on his wife. Way little way too late.

gr8slayer
03-28-2007, 10:53 PM
Im not going to loose any sleep if the NFL suspends Pac-man or Henry. To bad they didn't buckle down after ray lewis helped kill a dude in a night club. Or the receiver from the panther's put a hit on his wife. Way little way too late.
Well Goodell is about to change all of that. So better late than never if you ask me.

Talk0fNewYork
03-28-2007, 10:59 PM
The thing is he's never been convicted of anything so what can we do?

billsburgh
03-28-2007, 11:17 PM
"I think we'll see a better Adam. I just need to get him through this little storm here, and then we'll move on.
WTF. Wasn't a man shot and killed in Vegas? Isn't Jones alleged to have banged the strippers head off the stage and the lawyer is calling it a little storm. what a POS.

gr8slayer
03-28-2007, 11:22 PM
The thing is he's never been convicted of anything so what can we do?
He may not have been convicted but he has been arrested or questioned by police ten times since joining a league.

Mr.Reality
03-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Maybe "fight" isn't the best choice of words he could have picked.

What's he gonna say next? New York is his Alamo?

Ebenezer
03-28-2007, 11:55 PM
the NFL is a private corporation...and as such can do whatever they please...they can "fire" an employee at any time with little to no legal reprocussion...

feldspar
03-29-2007, 01:46 AM
Suspended for a year AND jail time.

lightningbolt444
03-29-2007, 02:25 AM
heres the thing in this case i think hes a thug that will never change that has caused problems and puts himself in the wrong place at the wrong time which is his fault. Hangs with the wrong people his fault. However lets say for example Peyton manning is out one night someone gets shot/ beat up whatever and the police find out he was their at the time of the inciddent he will probably be the first person they question just an example and i am in no way sticking up for pacman i think he should get a 3 game suspension and anymore violations gets him a life suspension. However i dodnt want to see the nfl get so strict that if a player gets questioned and even accused but not charged they automatically gets suspended. Thats basically saying yea well the american justice system aka jury didnt get it right so the nfl will.

Bulldog
03-29-2007, 08:43 AM
heres the thing in this case i think hes a thug that will never change that has caused problems and puts himself in the wrong place at the wrong time which is his fault. Hangs with the wrong people his fault. However lets say for example Peyton manning is out one night someone gets shot/ beat up whatever and the police find out he was their at the time of the inciddent he will probably be the first person they question just an example and i am in no way sticking up for pacman i think he should get a 3 game suspension and anymore violations gets him a life suspension. However i dodnt want to see the nfl get so strict that if a player gets questioned and even accused but not charged they automatically gets suspended. Thats basically saying yea well the american justice system aka jury didnt get it right so the nfl will.

The NFL won't suspend a player if it's an isolated incident. But being questioned or arrested as many times as Pacman has isn't an incident, it's a pattern. The guy was a POS at WVU and is still a POS. I hope he goes to jail.

Gunzlingr
03-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Like I posted on ESPN - Boo ***** Hoo for Pacman.

10 incidents in 2 years. Yeah, the cops are picking on him. F pacman jones.

bflojohn
03-29-2007, 11:01 AM
I'm thinking that his Legal team better review the findings on the Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams cases... essentially, if this is an agreement between the Management and Labor sides, and is "collectively bargained", I don't belive he has a leg to stand on! One of the issues that WILL get him banished is that he didn't report TWO episodes of involvement with Police questioning, and that's a violation of league policy RIGHT THERE!! He will be suspended, the question is how long?? My feeling is that conviction in Las Vegas seals the deal for poor ole Pacman, whereby he gets a lifetime ban.... just my opinion!

Saratoga Slim
03-29-2007, 11:03 AM

The NFL isn't bound by the same standards of due process as the criminal justice system. It's a company, and players are its employees. The NFL simply does not need a court to hand down a criminal conviction before it can determine that a particular employee is not representing the company in an acceptable manner.

Michael82
03-29-2007, 12:32 PM
What a ****ing moron! :rofl: