PDA

View Full Version : Redskins Make Formal Contract Offer To Briggs

gr8slayer
03-28-2007, 11:27 PM
The Redskins have reportedly made a formal contract offer to Lance Briggs that would include $20 million in guaranteed money.
The deal would reportedly pay $7.5 million-per-season, more than the $7.2 million Briggs will get if he signs his one-year franchise tender. A trade isn't considered imminent, but the proposal seems large enough to make the Briggs side happy. It's now up to the Bears and whether they're willing to part with Briggs and the No. 31 pick for the sixth choice overall.

Devin
03-28-2007, 11:30 PM
:rofl:

Any of the Briggs fans wanna match that?

jamesiscool
03-28-2007, 11:36 PM
proof that the bills never had a shot at signing briggs. him and fletch starting is guna be a nice combo.

Good job redskins. u know how to spend the money.

ptd86
03-28-2007, 11:58 PM

Is that a joke?

lightningbolt444
03-29-2007, 12:10 AM
accually the redskins front office are masters of the cap second i would say only to the colts however they DONT know how to spend the money they free up by being good with the cap

yay for back loading every contract for older players and getting two years out of them and then cutting them just make sure that they can still play for those two years you use them

lightningbolt444
03-29-2007, 12:15 AM
well the redskins hate the draft or so it seems haha so they should just sign briggs and then the bears get compensated with the redskins next two 1st round draft picks per tag rules

jamesiscool
03-29-2007, 01:03 AM

Is that a joke?

yes. it was.

gr8slayer
03-29-2007, 01:07 AM

Is that a joke?
Congrats on your first post :posrep:

Why don't you post more often?

jamesiscool
03-29-2007, 01:17 AM

:rofl:

Don't Panic
03-29-2007, 05:52 AM

Is that a joke?

They definitely know how to spend it... spending it wisely is an entirely different story. Briggs and Fletch together... if it goes down, we'll get a good look what our LB corps might have looked like (assuming we spent frivolously and ran a completely different scheme). Should gave some of the nancies something to talk about.

jamze132
03-29-2007, 07:29 AM
So the Bears would have to release Briggs in order to complete the Redskins trade where they switch picks. Of they refuse to release Briggs, it will cost the Skins 2 first round picks. WOW.

RedEyE
03-29-2007, 08:22 AM
I can't understand how the Skins can spend, spend, spend and never break the cap.

Earthquake Enyart
03-29-2007, 08:44 AM
$20 mil signing bonus. Wow.

Mr. Miyagi
03-29-2007, 08:47 AM
More power to them.

ptd86
03-29-2007, 10:27 AM

Just started things up, had to make sure no one thought the team who signed deion, bruce, archuleta and co. spent their money wisely<!-- / message -->

Michael82
03-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Just started things up, had to make sure no one thought the team who signed deion, bruce, archuleta and co. spent their money wisely<!-- / message -->
:hi5:

lightningbolt444
03-29-2007, 02:06 PM
I can't understand how the Skins can spend, spend, spend and never break the cap.

They backload most of their vet contracts aka majority money is in the last 2 or three years of the deal but before they get to those years they cut the player

Gunzlingr
03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Why would you take a deal like that if you were a player? You know you would never see any of that backloaded money.

Earthquake Enyart
03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Why would you take a deal like that if you were a player? You know you would never see any of that backloaded money.
You take it because of the $20 signing bonus.

lightningbolt444
03-29-2007, 02:19 PM
the players they do this to are usually mid-level talents or on the downside of their career so they see that siging bonus and dont worry about being cut as far as their concerned them being cut just means another siginging bonus from another team.

Saratoga Slim
03-29-2007, 03:18 PM
I hope the Bears don't take it and Briggs has to play for them this year.

dolphan117
03-29-2007, 04:27 PM
I can't understand how the Skins can spend, spend, spend and never break the cap.Because some of their contracts are back loaded and actually much smaller than they appear. Another thing is that they have had good success buying out contracts like Arington or trading and renegotiating a guy like Archuleta. Both lowered that years cap hit......... At some point though all the money they are backloading will catch up, its just a matter of when.

And I must say, the thing that I love about their spend to win now mentality is that while they are destroying the cash over cap thing....... They still suck, they are mortgaging the future for the present...... And still picking 6th in the draft. I love it.

patmoran2006
03-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Because some of their contracts are back loaded and actually much smaller than they appear. Another thing is that they have had good success buying out contracts like Arington or trading and renegotiating a guy like Archuleta. Both lowered that years cap hit......... At some point though all the money they are backloading will catch up, its just a matter of when.

And I must say, the thing that I love about their spend to win now mentality is that while they are destroying the cash over cap thing....... They still suck, they are mortgaging the future for the present...... And still picking 6th in the draft. I love it.

Actually not really.

What it will do though eventually is make them cut players near the end of their deals that are extremely valuable, because their cap number for that backloaded year will be ridiculous..

Fortunately for them, every FA they sign for huge money turns out to suck so they dump them after 2-3 years, and they only have to absorb the rest of the signing bonus.

The Skins can keep doing this forever; but eventually they're going to sign someone who actually PRODUCES and then have to cut him half way through his deal.

dolphan117
03-29-2007, 04:40 PM
Actually I don't think they can do it forever, if they were just handing out deals with back-loaded base salaries then yeah, they could just cut em when the big money kicks in...

Problem is they are also handing out some significant signing bonus money I believe and while that can be pro-rated over the life of the contract it accelerates into either that year or the next years cap if the player is cut. That is what will catch up with them.

patmoran2006
03-29-2007, 04:47 PM
BTW..

I"d trade my 12th for Chicago's 31st and Briggs.

There aint NOBODY in the draft we're getting who's better than Briggs, and in a cover two defense? This guy would OWN the city of Buffalo. You can talk all the "he played with Urlacher" **** you guys want.. Lance Briggs is a sick individual.

It's NOT even a possiblity, because Marv hates Drew Rosenhaus. And we wouldnt spend that kind of upfront money either.. My point was he's worth swapping picks for.

dolphan117
03-29-2007, 04:49 PM
BTW..

I"d trade my 12th for Chicago's 31st and Briggs.

There aint NOBODY in the draft we're getting who's better than Briggs, and in a cover two defense? This guy would OWN the city of Buffalo. You can talk all the "he played with Urlacher" **** you guys want.. Lance Briggs is a sick individual.Problem is that if the bears turned down that deal when offered the 6th pick in the draft there is no way they do it for the 12th.

patmoran2006
03-29-2007, 04:50 PM
I know.. and its not going to happen anyway..

IM just saying he's worth switching picks for..

The Skins could get a franchise LB in Briggs and a good player at the end of round 1 still..

The Answer
03-29-2007, 04:52 PM

Obviously Dan Snyder has incrimitating information on several high ranking league official in the NFL front office. :banned:

~The Answer

dolphan117
03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
I know.. and its not going to happen anyway..

IM just saying he's worth switching picks for..

The Skins could get a franchise LB in Briggs and a good player at the end of round 1 still..Gotcha, and I agree. Especially since you guys can afford him with your cap as it is.