PDA

View Full Version : Is everyone Satisfied with our TE situation?

bigbub2352
03-29-2007, 09:57 AM
I am one to say that i think our TE situation could use a receiving threat, Robert Royal and Brad Czeislak are the only two capable receivers, and lets face it they dont scare anyone , Matt Morgan is a cast off, kevin Everett is probably a bust, and Ryan Nuefeld is a good ST player but is injury prone and is 30 and hasnt done much on the way of receieving the time he has spent here

I for one would take a long look at a receiving TE such as the kid from Delaware Ben Patrick 6' 3 252lbs 4.7 40, in the 3rd round

Positives: Nice combination of size (6-foot-3-plus, 252 pounds), strength, and speed ... Intelligence. …Impressive route-runner ... Consistently finds openings in zone coverage ... Reliable hands; makes difficult catches ... Toughness, especially when it comes to catching the ball in a crowd ... Takes hard hits and hangs onto the ball ... Uses quickness to gain separation.
Negatives: Needs to become more aggressive as a blocker and a runner after the catch ... Ball security.

OR maybe the kid from Iowa Scott Chandler 6'7 270lbs 4.7 40

who put up alot of production there

just a thought to give JP more weapons!

justasportsfan
03-29-2007, 10:00 AM
IMO, it's not a priority. It's at the bottom of the list .

bigbub2352
03-29-2007, 10:03 AM
I agree not a priority but it would be nice to add someone, i think it is more of a priority then some other postions

RockStar36
03-29-2007, 10:06 AM
:idunno:

I wasn't horribly worried about the TE situation till I watched Royal highstep his way out of bounds against Tennessee. But that being said, it isn't a huge priority compared to other spots on the roster.

User Manuel
03-29-2007, 10:06 AM
I am one to say that i think our TE situation could use a receiving threat, Robert Royal and Brad Czeislak are the only two capable receivers, and lets face it they dont scare anyone , Matt Morgan is a cast off, kevin Everett is probably a bust, and Ryan Nuefeld is a good ST player but is injury prone and is 30 and hasnt done much on the way of receieving the time he has spent here

I for one would take a long look at a receiving TE such as the kid from Delaware Ben Patrick 6' 3 252lbs 4.7 40, in the 3rd round

Positives: Nice combination of size (6-foot-3-plus, 252 pounds), strength, and speed ... Intelligence. …Impressive route-runner ... Consistently finds openings in zone coverage ... Reliable hands; makes difficult catches ... Toughness, especially when it comes to catching the ball in a crowd ... Takes hard hits and hangs onto the ball ... Uses quickness to gain separation.
Negatives: Needs to become more aggressive as a blocker and a runner after the catch ... Ball security.

I am satisfied and I actually think robert Royal can be a pretty good TE. Is he an all-pro? Nope, but he is more than good enough.

Ed
03-29-2007, 10:14 AM
I like Royal more then most, and I still have high hopes for Everett. I'm hoping we don't draft a TE.

justasportsfan
03-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Royal was made to help support the OL because of guys like Pennington and help JP develop. Hopefully this year he can concentrate more on getting open and catching the ball which he's done better than any of the TE's we've had since TD was here.

If we can also grab a RB who hits the holes , it may open things up for Royals.

OpIv37
03-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Royal has as many drops as catches and as many penalty yards as receiving yards. Everett is another Miami bust. Neufeld is a back-up. I don't really know about Cieslak but there's a good chance he's going to be seeing more time at FB than at TE.

I really think we need either a legit receiving threat at TE or a better #2 receiver, but LB and RB absolutely need to be addressed first.

bigbub2352
03-29-2007, 10:36 AM
Royal has as many drops as catches and as many penalty yards as receiving yards. Everett is another Miami bust. Neufeld is a back-up. I don't really know about Cieslak but there's a good chance he's going to be seeing more time at FB than at TE.

I really think we need either a legit receiving threat at TE or a better #2 receiver, but LB and RB absolutely need to be addressed first.

I agree 100% that rb and lb need to be addressed first, but what i am sayin is he got an extra 3rd and 7th round pick that we could easily use to add a serious TE that can help out in the passing game more than our current depth

Saratoga Slim
03-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm with ya Op.

Royal would be fine--not exceptional, but fine--if we had someone a little more capable at #2 receiver. I think we need one more weapon in the passing game to take pressure off Lee. But I also think we can get by with what we have at #2 receiver and TE at this time, while RB and LB have gaping holes that need priority attention.

Philagape
03-29-2007, 10:41 AM
To answer the question, no.

Don't Panic
03-29-2007, 10:44 AM
I like Royal more then most, and I still have high hopes for Everett. I'm hoping we don't draft a TE.

My sentiments as well... if we take one, I hope it's not in the first 3 rounds.

patmoran2006
03-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Our TE's suck, but there isnt anything we could do about it for this season.-- unless we get lucky and strike gold with a mid to late round draft pick.

THATHURMANATOR
03-29-2007, 11:01 AM
TE definitly needs upgraded. Everett is a complete bust. I like Royal as a blocker.

bigbub2352
03-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Royal would be an outstanding number 2 TE for receiveing or even better blocker as a number 1, but our depth behind him i am sorry to say is less than impressive, Nuefeld and Czeislak, Morgan and Everett just dont cut it, i am willin to say Czeislak has a spot and Royal, we need someone to stretch the feild and be open on 3rd down

patmoran2006
03-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Im hoping with a TE we could pull a Williams in the 5th or Ellison in the 6th, a late round steal.

Its not like it would take an awful lot of production to be better than what we currently have.

Earthquake Enyart
03-29-2007, 11:21 AM
TE doesn't matter in this offense.

We shouldn't waste a draft pick on one.

kgun12
03-29-2007, 11:21 AM
I would never waste any higher than a late 7th round pick on a TE. Yes the would I used was waste. Yes during the year there are TE's that make big play and help fantasy teams score big points, but it is only because of fantasy football that this question about when to draft a TE has come about. Look at the 2 best TE in the game, Gonzalas and Gates. Neither one of them have gotten there team to the Super Bowl, nor do I think there will. If you have to rely on your TE to have a passing attack then I think your WR's suck. As is the case in SD and KC, there WR's suck. Hopefully an improved line will let a TE be a part of the passing game, instaed of a blocker, but not the passing game!

justasportsfan
03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
I would rather wait and see before I start saying Royals sucks.

The Answer
03-29-2007, 11:40 AM

The Answer is far from satisfied with the TE situation. Everett is Donablow trash that needs to be thrown out. Royal was a bad signing and brings nothing to the table. Neufeld is fodder that should have been released a long time ago as well.

Bottom line - we need somebody to produce at that position and need to sign a veteran or draft.

~The Answer

patmoran2006
03-29-2007, 11:55 AM
I would never waste any higher than a late 7th round pick on a TE. Yes the would I used was waste. Yes during the year there are TE's that make big play and help fantasy teams score big points, but it is only because of fantasy football that this question about when to draft a TE has come about. Look at the 2 best TE in the game, Gonzalas and Gates. Neither one of them have gotten there team to the Super Bowl, nor do I think there will. If you have to rely on your TE to have a passing attack then I think your WR's suck. As is the case in SD and KC, there WR's suck. Hopefully an improved line will let a TE be a part of the passing game, instaed of a blocker, but not the passing game!
Vernon Davis will someday get SF to a Super Bowl.

Shannon Sharpe was the best receiver on three SB winning teams..
Dallas Clark was a huge part of the Indy passing attack last year as well.

ddaryl
03-29-2007, 01:22 PM
IMO, it's not a priority. It's at the bottom of the list .

I disagree. A consistent reliable TE can be a force that causes other teams to have to make adjustments they rather not have to make.

We do not have a Pete Metzellars type TE nor have we had one since Pete Metzellars.

With Everett not living up to expectation, Royal not being anything but average, and Czeislak not exactly stiking much fear if any into opposing D's TE is a definite consideration

baalworship
03-29-2007, 01:23 PM
I really hope the Bills are scouting basketball players 24/7 because it seems b-ball players make great nfl tight ends. Imagine if we could find someone even 1/2 of what Antonio Gates is for the Chargers?

bigbub2352
03-29-2007, 01:32 PM
I really hope the Bills are scouting basketball players 24/7 because it seems b-ball players make great nfl tight ends. Imagine if we could find someone even 1/2 of what Antonio Gates is for the Chargers?

not a bad idea at all!

bigbub2352
03-29-2007, 01:34 PM
The Answer is far from satisfied with the TE situation. Everett is Donablow trash that needs to be thrown out. Royal was a bad signing and brings nothing to the table. Neufeld is fodder that should have been released a long time ago as well.

Bottom line - we need somebody to produce at that position and need to sign a veteran or draft.

~The Answer
I couldnt agree more with u!
We need a vertical threat to stretch out defenses, which will open up running lanes and underneath completions as well

justasportsfan
03-29-2007, 01:38 PM
I disagree. A consistent reliable TE can be a force that causes other teams to have to make adjustments they rather not have to make.

We do not have a Pete Metzellars type TE nor have we had one since Pete Metzellars.

With Everett not living up to expectation, Royal not being anything but average, and Czeislak not exactly stiking much fear if any into opposing D's TE is a definite consideration

How do we know what Royals can do if he was made to babysit Pennington , Preston and JP ?

Other than that bungled catch that would've been a TD , he was getting better as the season progressed.

Now that the OL has been beefed up and lives up to it's potential, then he wouldn't have to block too often anymore.

Positions that are bigger ? are rb, cb, lb, .

Bert102176
03-29-2007, 01:40 PM
I think we need to upgrade it severely

Saratoga Slim
03-29-2007, 01:44 PM

~The Answer

Royal is a very solid blocker. And he's an average receiving TE. He just doesn't appear to be a truly dangerous receiving option.

gr8slayer
03-29-2007, 01:45 PM
There's no way anyone here can honestly be happy about our TE situation.

kgun12
03-29-2007, 01:55 PM
There's no way anyone here can honestly be happy about our TE situation.

See reply #18.

bigbub2352
03-29-2007, 01:57 PM
seriously all it could take is a late round pick and our depth and potetnial would be alot better at TE

MVP
03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
I would rather wait and see before I start saying Royals sucks.Great blocker, drops some balls, but best TE we've had in a while.

RedEyE
03-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Royal actually had a career season with Buffalo last year. While his numbers weren't Gates or Shockey comparable, he has improved from his days in Washington. It's all about utilization and scheme and whether or not the line can block. If more defenses cheat inside the box, then of course Buffalo is forced to leave a TE in as an extra blocker.

Saratoga Slim
03-29-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't think Royal is a bad TE at all. But whether its through lack of ability or lack of utilization, he wasn't the kind of player last year that other teams had to really keep an eye on as a receiving threat.

patmoran2006
03-29-2007, 04:31 PM
Bobby "Droppy" Royal --

RedEyE
03-29-2007, 04:42 PM
I hope those of you that are concerned with Royal holding onto the ball (one BIG drop), have also been vocal about Josh Reed in the past (several BIG drops over the course of a couple of years).

I've also seen Shockey, Gates and even Crumpler and Tony Gonzalez have their fair share of drops in the end zone. Let us not forget, TE's while considered receivers, are also considered lineman. Some of these guys are pushing high 200s in weight. They're not suppose to be perfect receiving machines. They're just suppose to be effecient offensive weapons that can help further spread the defense.

Can we be a little lenient? I'm thinking if some of you were around for the Scott Norwood years, he might have up and shot himself by now.

justasportsfan
03-29-2007, 04:51 PM
this is the first time Royals has been made to catch balls since he was mostly a blocker at Washington and he's done fairly well compared to the scrubs we had in TD's era.

It's too early to call him a bust as a catching TE.

Ed
03-29-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't think it's fair to single out Royal for criticism in receiving production when our passing game in general was pretty weak for the whole first half of the season. Our pass protection was poor, JP was still coming into his own, new system, no one really stepping up as a #2...

After the bye I thought Royal started looking like more of a receiving threat. I think the line re-shuffle really helped give everyone else a chance to be better in the passing game.

With another year in the system, better protection and an improved JP, there's no reason to think Royal and Everett can't improve and become solid options at TE. I think it's only fair to give them this year to see what they can do and then make TE a priority if we don't see better production.

Let's save our draft picks. We don't need another mediocre O'leary or Euhus taking up roster spots.

BILLSROCK1212
03-29-2007, 05:00 PM
4th or 5th round i think we will draft one

justasportsfan
03-29-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't think it's fair to single out Royal for criticism in receiving production when our passing game in general was pretty weak for the whole first half of the season. Our pass protection was poor, JP was still coming into his own, new system, no one really stepping up as a #2...

After the bye I thought Royal started looking like more of a receiving threat. I think the line re-shuffle really helped give everyone else a chance to be better in the passing game.

With another year in the system, better protection and an improved JP, there's no reason to think Royal and Everett can't improve and become solid options at TE. I think it's only fair to give them this year to see what they can do and then make TE a priority if we don't see better production.

Let's save our draft picks. We don't need another mediocre O'leary or Euhus taking up roster spots.

We have a winner.

Let's not forget we moved the Ol around in mid season and Royals himself started doing better.

gr8slayer
03-29-2007, 05:06 PM
That is some of the worst logic I have ever heard. So LJ hasn't gotten the Chiefs to a SB either so they need to just drop him. LT too.

A good TE is worth his weight in gold. Jason Witten is by far one of the best in the NFL yet Glenn and T.O. both had great years.

The Colts have Dallas Clark, another amazing TE yet Reggie Wayne had a career year and Marvin Harrison continues to blow the league up.

The Giants have Shockey yet Burress continues to be a solid WR.

Chris Cooley............ Santana Moss

gr8slayer
03-29-2007, 05:10 PM
If anything a good TE helps out your WR's by making a Safety have to help the LB cover.

SABURZFAN
03-29-2007, 05:20 PM
i'd like to see the Bills draft a top notch TE or go with a late round flyer by the name of kevin boss-Western Oregon.

gr8slayer
03-29-2007, 05:45 PM
i'd like to see the Bills draft a top notch TE or go with a late round flyer by the name of kevin boss-Western Oregon.
That sounds like a football name.

mysticsoto
03-30-2007, 08:17 AM
If anything a good TE helps out your WR's by making a Safety have to help the LB cover.

Sure a good TE helps. A good player at every spot helps. But if we don't have a good RB, we can't run. TEs will become useless b'cse teams will play the pass constantly.

If we don't have a good MLB, teams will run all over us and we won't be able to stop them. If we don't get a CB, we can't cover the pass and teams also score. Unless the TE is going to score each time in return to counter the other teams scores, we lose this battle.

So the summary would seem to say, yeah, an elite TE is great, but if we don't have the core players to begin with, we are going nowhere.

bigbub2352
03-30-2007, 08:26 AM

I like Kevin Boss too, they say he has alot of upside and potential, good post

kgun12
03-30-2007, 08:36 AM
That is some of the worst logic I have ever heard. So LJ hasn't gotten the Chiefs to a SB either so they need to just drop him. LT too.

A good TE is worth his weight in gold. Jason Witten is by far one of the best in the NFL yet Glenn and T.O. both had great years.

The Colts have Dallas Clark, another amazing TE yet Reggie Wayne had a career year and Marvin Harrison continues to blow the league up.

The Giants have Shockey yet Burress continues to be a solid WR.

Chris Cooley............ Santana Moss

I think you made my point. I said without good WR's you can't win in this league and refered to KC and SD having great TE's without good WR's. The reason the TE's you mentioned are successful are for the reasons I stated! GOOD WR"S! If these same TE's didn't have the WR's you mentioned they wouldn't put up the stats they do!

gr8slayer
03-30-2007, 09:03 AM
I think you made my point. I said without good WR's you can't win in this league and refered to KC and SD having great TE's without good WR's. The reason the TE's you mentioned are successful are for the reasons I stated! GOOD WR"S! If these same TE's didn't have the WR's you mentioned they wouldn't put up the stats they do!
KC and SD have still won alot more games than we have over the past five years with no WR's and plenty of TE's.

Hell the Patriots won three SB's with no WR's and they beat teams that had good WR's (Steve Smith, T.O, Holt, Bruce)

Give me an elite TE over an Elite WR any day.

mysticsoto
03-30-2007, 09:45 AM
KC and SD have still won alot more games than we have over the past five years with no WR's and plenty of TE's.

Hell the Patriots won three SB's with no WR's and they beat teams that had good WR's (Steve Smith, T.O, Holt, Bruce)

Ummm...let's see:

KC? They have won alot more games than us. Why? Great Oline. Great RBs. Good QB.

SD? Great Olines, Great RBs. Decent WRs. Solid defense

Pats: Great defense. Great QB. Intelligent players.

Give me an elite TE over an Elite WR any day

Well, this is a stategy I completely disagree with, but you are entitled to your opinion.

kgun12
03-31-2007, 12:44 PM

This statement might be the dumbest statement I have read on this site! Seriously! It's one thing to agrue your point but don't make such stupid comment to support it. All I can say is...:spit: :roflmao:

kernowboy
03-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Matt Herian, Nebraska

6ft5, 246lbs ... 4.72 in the 40yds

More a willing blocker than an effective one. A deep threat who averaged 22yds a catch in 2003 when TE was a bigger part of the Huskers offence. Had a bad break of his leg requiring a rod and a screw. Smart, intelligent, character guy.

Almost certainly going to be around on the 2nd part of Day2 - at best could be something special, at worst an upgrade over Everett