PDA

View Full Version : Everrett and Preston put on Notice?

justasportsfan
03-29-2007, 11:38 AM
www.buffalobills.com

Can someone cut and paste. Mine isn't working now.

Ed
03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
?

Ed
03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
nevermind

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4685

Earthquake Enyart
03-29-2007, 11:41 AM
"Some guys have to make a long step forward right now," said Levy in reference to the upcoming 2007 season. "Duke Preston is one and Kevin Everett is another. It's time to find out."

If ever a player was put on notice, it was with a statement like that.

So what did the 2004 draft classmates make of their general manager's comment?

"I just think it's a situation where I've had a chance to start and play and get some experience," Preston said. "But it gets to a point where they see my potential and it's just a matter of seeing whether or not I can realize all of it."

Preston started eight games last season, the most in any of his three NFL seasons. He will be pushed hard for the starting right guard spot by veteran signee Jason Whittle and the up and coming Brad Butler.

The former fourth-round pick has played well a good portion of the time, but he knows he hasn't performed at his best down in and down out to convince the Bills hierarchy that he's definitively the guy.

"I really have to take the next step and play consistently all the time," said Preston. "There were games last year where I played really well for a half and then I'd have a couple of bad series and then perform well again for the rest of the game. So for me it's about finding that consistency and just playing well all the time. They need to see that."

For Everett the situation is much different. Finally healthy in 2006 coming off an ACL knee injury as a rookie, the new coaching staff wanted to take advantage of the tight end's rare athletic ability. Much like Preston he had a consistency issue as well. However, Everett's problem dealt with consistent execution of his assignments.

"As a young player I learned last year how tough it is coming to this level and being put in there to play and having all the game-to-game adjustments and changes for different opponents each week," said Everett. "It can get difficult, but I've got to put more effort into it."

The NFL game has been humbling for Everett as he found himself watching the offense on the sideline most weeks last season, something he hadn't experienced before in his playing career.

"Going from college where I was the guy counted on to make a play and then not being able to do that going to the next level is kind of hard," Everett said. "But I just have to put last year behind me and focus on this year."

Everett felt he made strides in the practice setting with respect to the offensive scheme as the season wore on last year. He knows that pattern has to repeat itself this spring and summer if he's to be trusted with the same type of opportunities on Sundays.

"I just have to put all my focus into learning what I have to do and being where I'm supposed to be out on the field," he said. "I just have to show complete dedication because this is my job. I really want to learn what I have to do."

Neither Preston nor Everett were bothered by their general manager's comment. They know by their third year in the league consistent play is required if they want to be on the field.

"I think he's basing his comment on our college profile and the type of players we were and he thinks it's time for us to blossom and become what they believe we can be as players," said Everett of Levy's statement. "This year has to be the year where I really have to (execute) when it counts."

"Me and Kevin were drafted right behind each other, one round apart," said Preston. "I think having that potential and knowing what each of us can do is something where it's time now to put it up."

OpIv37
03-29-2007, 11:43 AM
Preston has never been overly impressive and Everrett is worthless.

Earthquake Enyart
03-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Good for Marv to tell them where they stand. Shape up or ship out.

mysticsoto
www.buffalobills.com (http://www.buffalobills.com)

Can someone cut and paste. Mine isn't working now.

A little more than a month ago Bills GM Marv Levyhttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4685#) went before the media to put a wrap on the 2006 season and provide what answers he could for the current offseason. Lost in all the big questions and answers about how aggressive the Bills were going to be in free agency was Levy's specific response to improving things along the offensive line.

He was discussing some of the team's young players and how it's difficult to depend on rookies on the offensive line, which explains Buffalo's aggressive signing of three free agent offensive linemen. But toward the tail end of his response Levy identified a couple of young players in particular.

"Some guys have to make a long step forward right now," said Levy in reference to the upcoming 2007 season. "Duke Prestonhttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4685#) is one and Kevin Everetthttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4685#) is another. It's time to find out."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4685

The Answer
"Some guys have to make a long step forward right now," said Levy in reference to the upcoming 2007 season. "Duke Preston is one and Kevin Everett is another. It's time to find out."

If ever a player was put on notice, it was with a statement like that.

So what did the 2004 draft classmates make of their general manager's comment?

"I just think it's a situation where I've had a chance to start and play and get some experience," Preston said. "But it gets to a point where they see my potential and it's just a matter of seeing whether or not I can realize all of it."

Preston started eight games last season, the most in any of his three NFL seasons. He will be pushed hard for the starting right guard spot by veteran signee Jason Whittle and the up and coming Brad Butler.

The former fourth-round pick has played well a good portion of the time, but he knows he hasn't performed at his best down in and down out to convince the Bills hierarchy that he's definitively the guy.

"I really have to take the next step and play consistently all the time," said Preston. "There were games last year where I played really well for a half and then I'd have a couple of bad series and then perform well again for the rest of the game. So for me it's about finding that consistency and just playing well all the time. They need to see that."

For Everett the situation is much different. Finally healthy in 2006 coming off an ACL knee injury as a rookie, the new coaching staff wanted to take advantage of the tight end's rare athletic ability. Much like Preston he had a consistency issue as well. However, Everett's problem dealt with consistent execution of his assignments.

"As a young player I learned last year how tough it is coming to this level and being put in there to play and having all the game-to-game adjustments and changes for different opponents each week," said Everett. "It can get difficult, but I've got to put more effort into it."

The NFL game has been humbling for Everett as he found himself watching the offense on the sideline most weeks last season, something he hadn't experienced before in his playing career.

"Going from college where I was the guy counted on to make a play and then not being able to do that going to the next level is kind of hard," Everett said. "But I just have to put last year behind me and focus on this year."

Everett felt he made strides in the practice setting with respect to the offensive scheme as the season wore on last year. He knows that pattern has to repeat itself this spring and summer if he's to be trusted with the same type of opportunities on Sundays.

"I just have to put all my focus into learning what I have to do and being where I'm supposed to be out on the field," he said. "I just have to show complete dedication because this is my job. I really want to learn what I have to do."

Neither Preston nor Everett were bothered by their general manager's comment. They know by their third year in the league consistent play is required if they want to be on the field.

"I think he's basing his comment on our college profile and the type of players we were and he thinks it's time for us to blossom and become what they believe we can be as players," said Everett of Levy's statement. "This year has to be the year where I really have to (execute) when it counts."

"Me and Kevin were drafted right behind each other, one round apart," said Preston. "I think having that potential and knowing what each of us can do is something where it's time now to put it up."

Everrett is already long gone as far as The Answer is concerned.

As for Preston - he showed promise and flashes last few years, but has never panned out on the field when given playing time. And with all the new additions on the oline you have to wonder where he fits in anyway.

~The Answer

Gunzlingr
03-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Stephen Colbert put them on notice too!

justasportsfan
03-29-2007, 11:47 AM
thanks guys. :snicker:

patmoran2006
03-29-2007, 11:53 AM
I think Preston will end up starting at RG.

Ed
03-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Preston at the very least is a solid back-up at any of the interior line positions. I don't think there's any reason he shouldn't still be on the team come September as long as he works hard, but he was a Donahoe guy, so that might make him the odd man out.

I'm predicting Butler wins the starting RG spot.

Don't Panic
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm not willing to give up on either of these guys, yet. I think each should get a shot in camp to show that they deserve quality playing time. I still have hope for Everett, but I understand why many have written him off. Josh Reed is a year or two ahead of these guys and still wearing a Bills jersey, so if we continue to give him a chance, we can afford one more year for Everett and Preston.

justasportsfan
03-29-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm not willing to give up on either of these guys, yet. I think each should get a shot in camp to show that they deserve quality playing time. I still have hope for Everett, but I understand why many have written him off. Josh Reed is a year or two ahead of these guys and still wearing a Bills jersey, so if we continue to give him a chance, we can afford one more year for Everett and Preston.

I don't think has given up on them but he's jut saying it's time to step up. Unless they move Cieslak to fb, he's gonna be competing with Everret for no. 2.

HHURRICANE
03-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Let's save the drama:

1) Everett is another Miami player that has less intelligence than my 6 pound dog. His wonderlik was like a 12. As Pat Kirwan said, 2 players from the "U" is about all you want.

2) Preston was a waste of a draft pick.

Pretty simple: They're really lucky if they make it past cuts and pretty doubtful that they'll be wearing a Bills uni in 2008.

Earthquake Enyart
03-29-2007, 12:14 PM
Preston is too small.

Everett is too stupid.

Voltron
03-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Let's save the drama:

1) Everett is another Miami player that has less intelligence than my 6 pound dog. His wonderlik was like a 12. As Pat Kirwan said, 2 players from the "U" is about all you want.

2) Preston was a waste of a draft pick.

Pretty simple: They're really lucky if they make it past cuts and pretty doubtful that they'll be wearing a Bills uni in 2008.
Jason Peters got like a 10 or 12 on the wonderlik and he was able to learn an entirely new position and become one of the most improved linemen in the NFL over the last 3 years.

I am not saying that Everett is going to do the same but a standardized test is not the best way to rate a persons intelligence.

Saratoga Slim
03-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Preston is too small.

Everett is too stupid.
does the U have a negative admissions process, where you can't get in unless your SAT is below a certain score? Or do they just remove sections of your brain while you're there. Somebody should do some research on this.

TigerJ
03-29-2007, 12:46 PM
It was the right thing for Marv to say, and it sounds like these guys got the message. We'll have to wait and see if it makes a difference on the field.

ddaryl
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
does the U have a negative admissions process, where you can't get in unless your SAT is below a certain score? Or do they just remove sections of your brain while you're there. Somebody should do some research on this.

What makes you think many of these athletes actually had to take a SAT to get into a university. They're pampered from day 1 with scholarships, and basket weaving 101 courses

Jeff1220
03-29-2007, 01:42 PM
Preston too small? He's 6'5" 326 lbs.
I think Preston gets a real shot to compete for the starting RG. If I remember correctly, he was a "student athlete," which is something our Ivy League Coach and GM likely think fondly of. He mostly has to work on consistency.

Here's his scouting report from '05. Sounds like TD reached too.:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft05/tracker/player?id=8503&action=login&appRedirect=http%3A%2F%2Finsider.espn.go.com%2Fnfldraft%2Fdraft05%2Ftracker%2Fplayer%3Fid%3D8503

Overall: Preston red-shirted in 2000 and he appeared in two games of the 2001 season. He took over as a starter in 2002 and has been the fulltime starter the past three seasons. Preston is a blue-collar player that never stops working and rarely makes mistakes, but his potential is limited by his lack of natural ability. He doesn't run well enough to consistently reach his blocks at the second level and he isn't quick enough to prevent penetration in pass protection against elite one-gap DT's. That said;Preston's work ethic, size and sound technique are enough to give him a chance to compete for a roster spot as a reserve in the NFLIn our opinion, he's worth taking a chance on in the seventh round but not any earlier.

gr8slayer
03-29-2007, 01:44 PM
I personally love Preston and think he will be a good player for us this year. Everett on the other hand gets one last year in my books. There is no excuse not to be healthy this year.

Jan Reimers
03-29-2007, 02:23 PM
I think Everett will be fine after the brain transplant. He makes Peters look like a member of Mensa.

Earthquake Enyart
03-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't think Preston is 6'5"

BILLSROCK1212
03-29-2007, 02:31 PM
i see potential in both....this is their year to prove themselves

Captain gameboy
03-29-2007, 02:46 PM

Believe it or not, the University of Miami has a pretty good academic reputation.
It is a private school that usually rates in the top 33% in its various academic disciplines.

It's athletic department is a completely different issue, and if President Donna Shalala's comments after the on the field riot wherein her focus was on the media's condemnation, things will not change.

Jeff1220
03-29-2007, 02:48 PM
He's 6'5" according to his bio:

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122602

75 Offensive Line
Height: 6-5
Weight: 326
College: Illinois
Years in NFL: 3
How Acquired: '05 Draft (4th Round)
Birthdate: 6/12/1982

RedEyE
03-29-2007, 02:52 PM
I really don't care either way. Neither of them bring anything of importance to the table. Preston has the best chance to improve but will have the most competition in getting there. Everett is all but done. He has speed - he lacks intelligent play, blocking ability and his hands are lower then average. Throw in injury prone and what you have is a one way ticket to nowheresville.

mysticsoto
03-29-2007, 02:53 PM
He's 6'5" according to his bio:

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=122602
I wish they'd put other dimensions as well. For some reason, the T-rex dinosaur in that new animated movie Meet the Robinsons (you know...the one that complains that he can't make his "catch" b'cse his head is too big and his arms are too small) - for some reason, everytime I see that I think of Duke Preston. I feel like he has short arms...

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/walt_disney/meet_the_robinsons/robinsons_tiny.jpg

Mr. Miyagi
03-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Jason Peters got like a 10 or 12 on the wonderlik and he was able to learn an entirely new position and become one of the most improved linemen in the NFL over the last 3 years.

I am not saying that Everett is going to do the same but a standardized test is not the best way to rate a persons intelligence.
I'm pretty sure Jason Peters didn't crack double digit.

I think it was an 8 or something.

Saratoga Slim
03-29-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm pretty sure Jason Peters didn't crack double digit.

I think it was an 8 or something.

Quiet. We like Jason Peters, lets not piss him off. Use the wonderlic jokes on Everett.