PDA

View Full Version : picks or trades. Which do you prefer?

trapezeus
03-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Would you rather have more draft picks or use picks as trade bait?

Personally, i like this idea of stock piling picks and sticking to our team evalutors as a way to build this team. Last year's draft looked pretty good after a year.

I don't like this idea of giving someone else a pick (young talent with burgeoning upside) and then taking something they didn't want. it makes no sense to me. Let's get hungry kids in on this team. If they have been scouted on the field and their character is top notch (for an NFL player), that is much better chance for success than getting a Mike Turner player here.

Chances are, in my opinion, that turner feels like he's done well to get the limelight. And due to his past performance is entitled ot a large payout. Once he gets it, other than pure motivation, he most likely will not play like the player he's paid to be.

ddaryl
03-29-2007, 01:12 PM
I believe in the early stages of rebuild you rely heavily on the draft. The goal is too build a young core of players that the team can build around.

Trading older/disgruntled vets for players and/or picks who probably won't be around when the young core is starting to come into its own makes good sense in rebuild mode.

Once the core is in place picking up higher profile players via trades and FA picks ups then becomes more of an option. Keeping the finances in order and filling in gaps for players in advance becomes the key to success, and then adding that high profile pro bowler can then become the missing piece. Putting a High caliber probowl FA on a team in rebuild mode is a waste money, and really only serves the purpose of filling seats IMO. Trading for a high profile pro bowl player while in rebuild mode is an even bigger waste IMO. Pieces need to be in place before certain things should be done.

In the case of Turner, he might just need to get out of the shadow of LT, or maybe the same reason LT has so much success is also the same reason Turner has very good success in his backup roll. If Marv, Modrak and Co. feel Turner is worth it, then I have no porblem giving up a 3rd rd pick in 2007 and 2008, but I would not offer SD anything more then 3rd's, and IMO he can be had for less then 2 3rd picks.

Saratoga Slim
03-29-2007, 01:27 PM
I believe in the early stages of rebuild you rely heavily on the draft. The goal is too build a young core of players that the team can build around.

Trading older/disgruntled vets for players and/or picks who probably won't be around when the young core is starting to come into its own makes good sense in rebuild mode.

Once the core is in place picking up higher profile players via trades and FA picks ups then becomes more of an option. Keeping the finances in order and filling in gaps for players in advance becomes the key to success, and then adding that high profile pro bowler can then become the missing piece. Putting a High caliber probowl FA on a team in rebuild mode is a waste money, and really only serves the purpose of filling seats IMO. Trading for a high profile pro bowl player while in rebuild mode is an even bigger waste IMO. Pieces need to be in place before certain things should be done.

In the case of Turner, he might just need to get out of the shadow of LT, or maybe the same reason LT has so much success is also the same reason Turner has very good success in his backup roll. If Marv, Modrak and Co. feel Turner is worth it, then I have no porblem giving up a 3rd rd pick in 2007 and 2008, but I would not offer SD anything more then 3rd's, and IMO he can be had for less then 2 3rd picks.

If he can be had for less than two 3rd round picks, he better be in a Bills uni. That'd basically be a McGahee for Turner + 7th round pick.

Don't Panic
03-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Day one picks are like gold, if you use them correctly that is. The more we have, the happier I am. Not a big fan of the trade up, especially looking at last year with McCargo. Not a knock on the guy, just would have been nice to have the extra pick.