PDA

View Full Version : What running backs do you think will make the team?

HenryRules
08-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Now that we've completed two preseason games and getting close to first cuts, I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts on the running backs - who will stay, why, and where they'll play.

Here's my thoughts:

Travis Henry - starter. He proved last year he could be a good if not great one. After a shaky first game, he played very well against the Vikes. I think this spot is pretty much etched in stone.

Huntley - I think he ends up being the main back up. He was signed as a free agent, and to me if a player of his calibre and experience is signed, that says something about the coaching staff's faith in the existing personnel (i.e. they have very little). He also played very well in the last preseason game. Food for thought - in the offseason, while not bringing anyone in for the DL and waiting until now to pick up Chidi, the Bills signed Huntley rather early on in free agency. Both of them, I believe, ended up signing for similar salaries/cap hits and probably would have no matter when Chidi was signed. To me, that means the front office must have thought that Huntley could help out more than Chidi.

Morris - I think he takes the third spot. He played amazing on special teams last year - I think he was our leading special teams tackler - and did well returning the ball last week. GW has always said that after starters, everyone must contribute well on special teams in order to keep/grab their spots. I think Morris is the better special teamer vs. Bryson and that's what will win this spot for him.

Bryson - I think he gets cut if he doesn't get traded. He hasn't been given many carries, but hasn't really done much with the carries that he's had either - 3 good carries out of 7 touches. I haven't heard his name mentioned at all out of any of the FO/coaching staff - nothing bad, but nothing good either. Admittedly, I probably wouldn't listen if I did hear anything about Bryson, so maybe that's the reason I haven't heard much about him. IMO, Bryson is just short in almost every aspect of his game and that's what he misses out on. He's almost good enough to be the second running back, but misses out to Huntley. He's almost good enough to beat Morris out as far as special teams contributions, but again I think he misses out.

Everyone else - had to really show something by now if they even wanted a chance at a spot, but I don't think anyone has stepped up at all to warrant beating out any of the 4 already listed.

Sabre Ally
08-19-2002, 08:29 PM
I can't even name anyone besides those four. IMO I haven't seen anything special out of any of them (sorry, I know you like Henry).

John Doe
08-19-2002, 08:31 PM
H.R. - My thoughts exactly.

casdhf
08-19-2002, 09:16 PM
I think Curtis Alexander is a guy we need to keep our eye on...anyone know why he isn't seeing any time??

John Doe
08-19-2002, 09:28 PM
"I think Curtis Alexander is a guy we need to keep our eye on...anyone know why he isn't seeing any time??"

Probably hoping to keep him "low profile" so they can stash him on the practice squad.

The_Philster
08-20-2002, 03:06 AM
A definite possibility, John Doe but I wonder how other teams ae gonna ignore what he did in NFL Europe.

shelby
08-20-2002, 05:39 AM
i agree with you HR...Huntley vs. Morris could be a battle though. i don't know what will happen to Bryson, but i don't see him staying in Buffalo.

Ebenezer
08-20-2002, 07:41 AM
FB-Centers, Crosby

RB-Henry, Huntley, Morris

Practice Squad-Burns, Ferguson

gonzo1105
08-20-2002, 09:22 AM
Actually Buffalo can't put Alexander on the PS because he was on it last year. Burns i think will make PS he has seen a lot of time

lordofgun
08-20-2002, 09:31 AM
I agree with you, HR. I don't think there will be many surprises, and I am now in agreement that Bryson should go.

Sennsai
08-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Long time between posts for me, but that doesn't mean I don't have my 2 cents worth.

I was never sold on Bryson. If some other team will give us a 2nd or 3rd round pick next year(if that's all we can get for him), then I say take it and trade him. I think Huntley will do fine as a backup and Morris will be ok.

I want to keep Burns on the team, but not sure it justifies keeping another RB who might not get any carries. Only time would be with special teams? Burns is a SOLID back that can grind it out on every play. He won't bust many big runs, but he turns the no gainers into 1 and 2 yards and the 1 and 2 yards into 3 and 4 yards. I saw him in college and liked his style then as well. He's a keeper that I think can be a solid backup NEXT YEAR for Henry. :homer:

HenryRules
08-20-2002, 08:46 PM
Didn't see Burns in college so I can't comment. But if that's what he's like Sennsai, I hope we can keep him on our practice squad. I love backs that can get the tough yards.