PDA

View Full Version : spiking the football all but outlawed

trapezeus
03-29-2007, 01:30 PM
have you seen that the rules committee has outlawed spiking the ball with the exception of doing it in the endzone.

They have guys runnning around like criminals and the way to cure it is to stop them from spiking a football after an amazing play (end sarcasm). Everyone is up in arms about fighting in hockey and the powers that be recognize (correctly for a change) that people like the fights and they'll stay since it has entertainment value. On the flip side the NFL does all it can to limit any expression of joy on the field.

Hopefully the bills players will organize a pinky up, tea sip celebration after each play just to stick it to the NFL. I enjoy nothing more than my pre game crumpets and a touch of afternoon football when i watch the games at my Sir Shenoy Palace.

casdhf
03-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Having Peerless Price act like he just won Super Bowl MVP after a 4-yard hook is ******ed. I'm glad they limit this garbage.

gr8slayer
03-29-2007, 01:42 PM
I don't care much for any of the self promotion myself. I like guys who hand the ref the ball then celebrate with their teammates or jump in the stands.

Michael82
03-29-2007, 02:01 PM
I don't care much for any of the self promotion myself. I like guys who hand the ref the ball then celebrate with their teammates or jump in the stands.
like Lee Evans. :up:

trapezeus
03-29-2007, 04:13 PM
true, but for the bills the last couple seasons. There have been a couple games that have been real snoozers and you have that inevitable feeling that its going to be a long painful game. And then there is a 3rd and long play that defies logic and riles the stadium back into it. A spiking of the football to say, "hell yes! Let's get into it!" doesn't hurt. And definitely not worth a five yard penalty.

Yes as the team gets better, they won't spike the ball all the time after simple plays because they are use to a higher level of success. But mild taunting like that can shift the momentum. And as we all know Momentum is the name of the game in football.