• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MVP
    Bring The Pain
    • Apr 2006

Jaworski's Thoughts On Offseason

It’s simple. I think the Buffalo Bills are losers in free agency right now. They have lost some impact players. Takeo Spikes, London Fletcher, you can’t lose players like that. Nate Clements, Willis McGahee, you can’t lose players like that. We all know there’s turnover in this league, but then you look to see who they gained, and you don’t see the balance sheet. Clearly to me, the winner thus far is New England. They were awful at wide receiver last year. Bill Belichick, one of my dear friends, got angry at me when I called them the slowest wide receiving corps in the NFL a year ago. However, I was right (laughs).

• feelthepain
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Mar 2005

Re: Jaworski's Thoughts On Offseason

Seems to me it's the overwhelming opinion for the Bills offseason so far, from most of what I've read. A lot of fans here seem to think Marvs plan is to get younger. I think that's a good idea, but you can't get rid of your experience and have only youth to start at 65-70% of the team. I think this is Marv doing the best he can with RW squeezing the life out of the Bills.

Comment

• camelcowboy
      • Mar 2005

I understand all the moves, i just wish they didn't do them all this offseason. They put themselves in a tought spot drafting.

Comment

• Elminster
        #1 Kelsay Fan
        • Oct 2006

Impact.....players? Where was this "impact" last year?
        Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• feelthepain
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Elminster
          Impact.....players? Where was this "impact" last year?
          The players that signed elsewhere or were traded weren't the only players on your team and you can't act like they are the only reason the Bills weren't successful. Just because they weren't probowlers doesn't mean they didn't help your team or won't be missed. You also can't say their replacements are better. So while you can look at the departure any way you wish, don't act like your team won't feel their void or by leaving somehow your team is better.

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by feelthepain
            Seems to me it's the overwhelming opinion for the Bills offseason so far, from most of what I've read. A lot of fans here seem to think Marvs plan is to get younger. I think that's a good idea, but you can't get rid of your experience and have only youth to start at 65-70% of the team. I think this is Marv doing the best he can with RW squeezing the life out of the Bills.
            Ralph spent more than Wayne. Next please...............

0-2

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
              • Sep 2003

And don't forget the same pundits said we had the worst draft too. How many starters did we get? Remember these talking asscracks are like parrots, they only repeat what they hear. And they forget how far off base they were last year.

PTR
              10 Commandments of the D
              1. Never stop Rocking.
              2. Legalize all drugs.
              3. Quit your day job.
              4. All Religion should be taxed.
              5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
              6. F**k her gently.
              7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
              8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
              9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
              10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

The players that signed elsewhere or were traded weren't the only players on your team and you can't act like they are the only reason the Bills weren't successful. Just because they weren't probowlers doesn't mean they didn't help your team or won't be missed. You also can't say their replacements are better. So while you can look at the departure any way you wish, don't act like your team won't feel their void or by leaving somehow your team is better.
                You have said nothing that hasn't been said on ESPN. Thanks for the wonderful insight.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                  • Aug 2004

The reason why we had so many starters out of our draft is because our roster isn't very good. It's not because them players are just so damn good. If they were as good as some of you make them out to be then we would have been in the playoffs.

You put that draft class in Baltimore or another franchise with steady talent and Whitner probably would've been the only one. Maybe Simpson. It's not like the rookies that did play had a great impact. Whitner was decent but the rest of them didn't have an impact.

Also, the only starters I see from that class beyond more then a few games last season is Whitner and Simpson. Ellison may start this year by defaul and not because he was so great. Pennington was such a great starter last year they replaced him for a 25 million dollar, 11 sack a year player.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                    • Oct 2002

Out of Spikes,Fletcher,McGamee,Clements,Holcomb the only 2 that had any impact were Clements and Fletcher.. I love how the Bills were stupid to let Clements walk, and the Niners were stupid to give him $80million contract, Clements wasnt worth that and no way Buffalo stud a chance at resigning him with a contract like that thrown at him.. Fletcher had a good year, but he didnt want to be here, Spikes did nothing last year, McGamee is just plain pathetic and was gonne leave via free agency when his contract was up.. Holcomb didnt take a snap so why keep him?? Why keep these guys when they want out of Buffalo?? Marv got what he could for these guys that didnt want to be here..

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

No use getting upset.

The national media doesn't watch the Bills like us. They post empty thoughts, based on name recognition/perceived status. Impact players ? Outside of maybe Clements, that statement is beyond silly.

We do need to see who can replace the rest but the change was long overdue.

Bring on the Draft and ignore all this off-season filler.
                      Last edited by Night Train; 03-30-2007, 04:41 AM.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

the overwhelming opinion last year was that the fins were gonna win the division , Culpecker was the savior of the franchise and Saban was a god.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ddaryl
                          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                          • Jan 2005

I think you've missed the entire point.

Marv knows players like Fletcher and Spikes will be too old and beat down in the next couple of year. In that time youth will experienced and ready to step up along side the rest of the young core.

Clements was never going to be resigned to a salary cap eating contract, and Willis McGahee is still an addition by subtraction.

We still have money left, a draft day trade possibility, and June cuts to fill in some of those subractions.

To honestly believe its Ralph who is squezzing thelife out of the team is laughable. I find going out and bringing in high price FA's just for the sake of appeasing people like yourself and the so called experts even more laughable.

Will the Bills be a Superbowl team this year... NO, wasn't expecting one even with Takeo, Clements, McGahee and Spikes.

Will the Bills make the playoffs this year. It's possible, but I forsee an 8-8 season and missed playoffs.

Will the Bills have the necessary money to resing JP and Evans next year while adding a FA or 3 that can turn the Bills into a playoof team andpossible superbowl team... a definite possibility, and one that probably would not be possible if we kept Spikes, Fletcher, Clements, and Mcgahee.

I also feel the Bills will have a MUCH better shot at a long run of playoff appearances by cutting bait early in Marv's tenure and fixing the core of the team.

Marv's plan has a future, if we don't make the offseason moves we are makig then I feel the Bills might have had a chance but would have quickly disintegratedsoon after.

Comment

• jmb1099
                            • Sep 2004

We did lose a lot of big name players, no question. But Clements was inconsistent at best, Spikes was a shell of his former self, and Fletch was almost as old as Miami's defense. WM? Please. Kelly Holcomb? jmb1099 thinks the Answer is ion crack but that's besides the point.
                            I don't think anyone here would argue that the pats have had a very productive offseason so it would appear that they are once again the team to beat in the east.
                            The media types get too sucked in to names and don't spend enough time to go behind the name to find out the real deal.

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

McGahee and his comments proved he was not coming back nor did he prove to be elite talent so he was not worth the price to keep.
                              Losing Clements is tough however not sure he is worth the money he got. The one thing I wished happened was two years ago when they resigned Schoebel to an extension, TD also should of extended Clements. He could of been signed for a 6 year 40 million dollar contract with no problem.
                              Fletcher was a great leader. He will be missed but at his age he is not worth the risk as far as signing bonus when the Bills are very money conscious. How many 30+ year olds live to play up to the contract they signed for the life of there contract.
                              Spikes was a huge question mark that due to injuries did not play and contribute to the level the Bills needed him to be. Being cost conscious I think they made the right decision.
                              The Bills are not just trying to make it to the playoffs. All in all in my opinion the Bills are taking a step back so they can take 4 steps forward. They are building a very solid nucleus. They will have a great young core. They will have new leaders. JP and Schobel are great character players that it is now there time to step up and be the leaders of this team.

Comment

Working...
                              X