X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammertime
    • May 2005

slow white Linebackers

According to some of the more active members on this board Penn State's latest LB offering is a slow, smallish white guy that will be a big time bust in the NFL. These people have never seen him play and base their opinions on an ignorance seeped in good old, time-honored sports racism. I suppose they would accept Poz over, say Buster Davis, if the Bills were looking for a more cerebral LB to fit our scheme.

Either way, the Bills should never pick Poz at the #12 spot because that spot is reserved for future superstars. This time of year is wonderful for the football fortune tellers. They can watch game tape montages on YouTube and analyze athletic measurements like the standing long jump and a guy who was just another NCAA jock a year ago is now worthy of a coveted first round pick.

Go ahead and look back of the past few first rounds and compare them to the rest of the rounds and you'll find the biggest myth in pro football. The only people who truly benefit from this myth are the agents. Those athletes that cannot live up to the hyped billing are burned by the harsh spotlight and quickly go down as 'busts'.

Marv understands this. If there is someone the Bills like and they suspect another team behind them likes, they will take that player at twelve (regardless of the first round value scale). They did it with Whitner. He they like Poz, they will take him at twelve and the only way he becomes a 'bust' is if he gets injured... but slow white linebackers get injured easily, right?
    Bruce: What time is it?
    Biscuit: Huh?
    Bruce: What time is it?
    Biscuit: Showtime?
    Bruce: (incensed) Hammertime!!
    Biscuit: Hammertime!
    Bruce: Hammertime is when you hitting that nail in a piece of wood with a hammer. You keep hitting that nail, over and over until you can no longer see the nail. You just see the wood is all splintered and what-not. That is Hammertime.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: slow white Linebackers

I smell a bitter Penn State fan.

Pos is not good enough to go 12. If we can get him late first or early 2nd, fine, but he will not come in and make an immediate impact. And because Marv let Spikes and Fletcher go, we are in desperate need of an LB who can make an immediate impact.

If you want to overpay and miss an opportunity to get a better player, by all means- pick Pos at 12.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• billsburgh
      • Jul 2003

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

sorry but good GM's get good value for their picks. Pos at 12 is not good value. If he's the guy the FO wants, trade down and get an extra pick out of it. Otherwise, pick a player who will be worth the 12th overall pick and commensurate salary.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
          • May 2003

I really like Tim Shaw.

How about this myth:

I love it when a guy tears his PCL and MCL and nobody ever mentions it if they like the guy. If they don't like the guy he is injury prone or an injury risk.

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Zach Thomas is an old, slow, white LB yet he is by far the best LB in the league year after year.

Comment

• mayotm
              • Jul 2003

Based on what most "experts" are saying, Poz at 12 is too high. However, Hammertime makes some great points. I guarentee there are a lot of people on this board throwing around opinions on Poz (and many other players) when they've never seen them play a single down.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                Zach Thomas is an old, slow, white LB yet he is by far the best LB in the league year after year.
                first, Zach Thomas is good, but he's not the best LB in the league. He' may be in the top 15.

Second, the author is making the faulty assumption that the criticism of Pos is due to stereotypes about slow, white linebackers. It's not. It's based on how he played. The guy is a solid, blue chip-type player but that doesn't make him worth the #12 overall pick.

Third, Hammertime is also assuming that people are calling Pos a bust cuz they don't want him at 12. Whitner turned out to be good, but it would have been insane if, for example, SF took him at 4 with Vernon Davis, Michael Huff and AJ Hawk still on the board. You need value for your picks.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Whoever thinks race has anything to do with it is You guys remember Spielman and PauP ?
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
                    Pos is not good enough to go 12. If we can get him late first or early 2nd, fine, but he will not come in and make an immediate impact. And because Marv let Spikes and Fletcher go, we are in desperate need of an LB who can make an immediate impact.

If you want to overpay and miss an opportunity to get a better player, by all means- pick Pos at 12.
                    Here we go again. You build a great team for years to come VIA THE DRAFT, period! I don't care if he makes an immediate impact right away or not as long as a player becomes a great player for this team for years to come.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                      Here we go again. You build a great team for years to come VIA THE DRAFT, period! I don't care if he makes an immediate impact right away or not as long as a player becomes a great player for this team for years to come.
                      that's fine- just be willing to accept another 7-9 season. Personally, I'm ****ing sick of losing seasons.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• User Manuel
                        The Artist formerly Known as Lawesome97
                        • Nov 2003

My opinion, outlined in the other thread, is simply a reference to the fact that I just don't think Posluszny is that good, period. Black/white/indian/asian/ whatever he is going to be, at best, an average NFL linebacker IMHO.

If the Bills sign an illegal alien who is 4'3" to play MLB and he is good, bring him on. I just don't want to settle for avergae with the 12th pick.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                          • Feb 2005

first, Zach Thomas is good, but he's not the best LB in the league. He' may be in the top 15.

Second, the author is making the faulty assumption that the criticism of Pos is due to stereotypes about slow, white linebackers. It's not. It's based on how he played. The guy is a solid, blue chip-type player but that doesn't make him worth the #12 overall pick.

Third, Hammertime is also assuming that people are calling Pos a bust cuz they don't want him at 12. Whitner turned out to be good, but it would have been insane if, for example, SF took him at 4 with Vernon Davis, Michael Huff and AJ Hawk still on the board. You need value for your picks.
                          Give me a better MLB in the league than Thomas.

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by gr8slayer
                            Give me a better MLB in the league than Thomas.
                            Urlacher. Adalius Thomas. That's two right off the top of my head.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

that's fine- just be willing to accept another 7-9 season. Personally, I'm ****ing sick of losing seasons.
                              then go cheer for another team. This team is rebuilding and that's a FACT! Deal with it.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X