PDA

View Full Version : Pennington Primed For Added Competition

justasportsfan
03-30-2007, 02:00 PM
On the whole Bills fans were ecstatic when they saw Buffalo's front office quickly add three veteran free agent offensive linemen to the fold on the first day of free agency. For second-year offensive tackle Terrance Pennington the initial reaction was a bit different.

"Of course the reaction of anybody in my position would be, 'What happened to me?' or 'Why did they do this?' or 'Maybe they don't believe in me,'" said Pennington candidly.

But in the next breath Pennington knew that Buffalo's free agent additions were only part of the business that at its very core is about hard fought battles for starting roles.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4686

patmoran2006
03-30-2007, 02:03 PM
I like Pennington.

We might end up with a 25 million backup

gil
03-30-2007, 02:14 PM
I like Pennington.

We might end up with a 25 million backup

If he does somehow wind up behind Pennington, he would be a 10 million backup.

Since we signed him I have wondered if Walker would wind up at RG - I think that would be pretty interesting.

patmoran2006
03-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Any combo of the words "Millions" and "backup" is not good.

Saratoga Slim
03-30-2007, 02:39 PM

No joke. I'd still like to see Walker at RG and Pennington at RT. There were some rumors however that Pennington looked good last year b/c they were keeping people in to help him out.

gil
03-30-2007, 02:40 PM

Like Holcomb.

madness
03-30-2007, 02:51 PM

I have millions in an offshore backup account.

Goobylal
03-30-2007, 02:56 PM
No joke. I'd still like to see Walker at RG and Pennington at RT. There were some rumors however that Pennington looked good last year b/c they were keeping people in to help him out.
Those weren't rumors, it was true. Which is to be expected. The true test is whether he'll need as much help THIS year. And he'll face competition from not only Walker, but Butler. But as has been said, I hope Walker is the starting RG. I think he's better suited inside.

Tatonka
03-30-2007, 03:04 PM

chris brown told me that in an email response. i asked him about that specifically.

he said that there was a ton of help given to pennington on almost every play which limited what the bills could do with the TEs and RBs because he required so much help. he said the bills still like his potential, but that he was FAR from ready last year to play. that is why they made the move.

patmoran2006
03-30-2007, 03:19 PM
chris brown told me that in an email response. i asked him about that specifically.

he said that there was a ton of help given to pennington on almost every play which limited what the bills could do with the TEs and RBs because he required so much help. he said the bills still like his potential, but that he was FAR from ready last year to play. that is why they made the move.
I can agree with that, and I certainly hope its ok.

To give a player $25 million and then have their even be TALK in year one of his deal about an open competition for a starting spot is ABSURD. If thats the case, we should've given $25 million to Travis Henry to come back and end the RB talk. I can guarentee you we wouldn't be bickering about RB if we signed him. And dont give me that bitter pill garbage; that was all Donahoe that ran him out of town.

feldspar
03-30-2007, 03:38 PM
I like Brad Butler too.

Don't forget about him. Don't rule him out.

jamze132
03-30-2007, 04:43 PM
So Turner at $2.5 mil to backup LT is a mistake? I think not. If LT goes down, that team is in for a world of hurt if Turner isn't there.

jamze132
03-30-2007, 04:45 PM
I think that was a great article about Pennington and his motivation for the upcoming season. He seems to really want it bad and will do whatever it takes to win the starting job. Sounds like a true "Marv guy". I just hope it rubs off on some other guys in the locker room.

BILLSROCK1212
03-30-2007, 07:50 PM
I think that was a great article about Pennington and his motivation for the upcoming season. He seems to really want it bad and will do whatever it takes to win the starting job. Sounds like a true "Marv guy". I just hope it rubs off on some other guys in the locker room.i hope he plays really well in camp so that we have to move Walker to guard his better position

John Doe
03-30-2007, 09:02 PM
I think that Pennington's main competition will be against Brad Butler as the gameday "flip" tackle.

kernowboy
03-31-2007, 07:05 AM
Dockery is a great pickup - Walker is a ludicrous signing ... it shows how mad the free agent market has become. I wonder how much has been guaranteed as I don't see him playing 5 years. I'd have give less money to Gandy, kept him at LG, moved Dockery to RG and had Pennington/Butler on the outside. What I hope doesn't happen is being end up with too many OL under contract and no continue to develop Merz who I think can be an absolute beast for years to come.