The win is nice, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

The win is nice, but...

...is anybody else concerned with how horrible our defense is? They are flat out playing terrible and have for much of the season. I'm worried it may be our downfall in the playoffs if they don't do something to turn it around defensively. I would shuffle the pairings because they aren't working right now.
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: The win is nice, but...

We have seven offensive defensemen, so I don't know if shuffling will work
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Nighthawk
      Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape
      We have seven offensive defensemen, so I don't know if shuffling will work
      They have to do something because as much as they try to say nothing is wrong, all I see are mistakes by this defense. It's actually pretty embarrassing to watch. Miller is on an Island without any help in front of him.

Comment

• SkateZilla
        • Dec 2002

they were floating to save energy for tomorrow nite people...
        Skate Zilla
        -----------------------
        Skate Zilla HD Studios:
        SKATE ZILLA HD STUDIOS

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

I think it fits right in with the system they are playing. This team is about four times better than the team that went to the finals and they are playing the same system. This time they are always going to push forward and roll four lines that score a lot of goals. There is plenty of defense it will be up to Ruff to get it in there.

Comment

• Philagape
            WIN NOW
            • Jul 2002

The offense works best when it busts out with lightning transition. However, that usually can happen only if the other team is already committed to our zone; otherwise, they can fall back and trap us. So in a sense, we have to lure the other team in and let them attack us, then one mistake and BOOM. We're going to give up some goals and Miller will be peppered, but there's no other team in the league that can keep up with us at our game. We've found our offense again in the past few weeks, and Max and Timmy are coming back soon.
            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• SpillerThrills
              • Oct 2005

I think that the D has been off at times this year, but at times they have shined. I think that tonight was an example of the whole team saying, we have a big lead, lets just not lose it. the stopped skating after the first period.
              2008-2009 BZHL Champion!
              2008 Pro Football Pick 'em Champion!
              2008 Survival Football Co-Champion!
              2006-2007 3 Star Pick 'em Champion!

Comment

• Philagape
                WIN NOW
                • Jul 2002

Generally speaking, they do need to do a better job in front of the net. And they lose a lot of turnovers

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• JD
                  Sabres Zone
                  • Sep 2003

We laid back after the 1st for a reason. We play tommorow night.
                  “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                    • Aug 2002

I think now that they have 7 defense and enough offensive player they should take turns giving one defenseman off a night for the rest of the regular season. Numminen should have been the first tonight.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                      I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                      • May 2005

Nighthawk, I get the feeling that if this team went 82-0-0, you'd find something to be dissapointed in and a reason why we'd lose in the playoffs...

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

It's more a result of the system being employed. Our defense may not be the best, but it should be good enough to go the distance. The good thing is the versatility of the players.

We know we can stretch the ice, play offense-minded, and score goals in clusters to win the high-scoring affairs. We also know we can tighten up a little, concentrate on defense, take advantage of our opportunities and win the low-scoring, one-goal squeekers.

There is no excuse for this team not to go the distance this year, unless we get ravaged by injuries again. God forbid Miller gets hurt...that would change everything.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Meathead
                          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                          • Jul 2002

good defense is as much a mental thing as it is physical. they have enough talent that if they put their mind to it they can play more defensive when they have to, which is likely against the better balanced teams in the playoffs. so although they will continue to play a press style they can still have the forwards come back a little more into the defensive zone and pick their spots for aggressive breakouts

as long as the refs keep calling the penalties im not worried. they wont be the best defensive team in the playoffs but they dont really have to be. just enough to let their superior firepower get chances, and i think they can do that
                          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

In the playoffs, we only have to win more games than we lose. 16-12 will do it
                            Last edited by Philagape; 03-31-2007, 12:32 PM.

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion

Comment

• Historian
                              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                              • Dec 2002

You can't take penalties at will when you get into the playoffs either.

The refs were piss-poor last night, but still....you can get away with that stuff against the crap teams, like the Isles, and overcome it with your talent and speed, but if you get deep into the playoffs, some of the better teams like Atlanta, are going to make you pay dearly for those mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                              X