PDA

View Full Version : Buf, Dal, Ten, NYJ and maybe NYG after Turner

Ickybaluky
03-31-2007, 06:50 AM
According to the the San Diego Union Tribune (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070331-9999-1s31chargers.html):

Buffalo, Dallas, Tennessee and the New York Jets have shown interest in acquiring the restricted free agent. All appear willing to part at least with a first-round draft pick, but sources indicated the Chargers are still seeking two picks – in the first and third rounds.

The New York Giants, who need a running back, also could enter the fray before next month's draft. A source said yesterday that contrary to numerous media reports, the Green Bay Packers have not shown interest in Turner.

Turner and his agent, Bus Cook, will have much say in where Turner ends up. No team is going to give up draft picks for Turner, 25, without first securing a long-term deal with him.

“I know in our mind what it's going to take to get him signed,” Cook said yesterday.

The agent denied contact with any teams, but multiple sources said he had spoken with at least one of the interested clubs. That is believed to be the Bills, who pick 12th in the first round and have two third-round picks.

According to that link, teams are willing to pay the first.

According to sources, the Chargers could be open to a first-rounder this year and a third-rounder next year, or a third this year and a first next year. Any team signing Turner as a free agent would have to give up the first and third in this year's draft, which would nearly wipe out the first day of its draft.

kernowboy
03-31-2007, 06:56 AM
You're having a laugh if you think we should part with a R1 and a R3

Why ... because?

1) We would be able to get Leonard with our R2 and he can be equally as good a player plus is more versatile
2) There is a stunning RB class next year. The management seem to have confidence in Thomas to carry the load and maybe Jackson to surprise.
3) All teams scout at least a year ahead. They will be balancing up the quality in positions over two years plus how this fits in with urgent needs.

Turner is a good player ... He is not a R1 + R3 player.

Anybody RB can look great if the opponents Defence has already been mashed by LT

kernowboy
03-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Having traded for Thomas Jones, and having Washington as a backup why are NYJ allegedly interested?

W1DER1GHT
03-31-2007, 07:00 AM
Well, we do have the upper hand in this situation if we are considering giving up our 1st, BUT I think giving up our 1st straight up is a big price to pay for a guy that has not done a heck of a lot in the NFL. I'm not saying he won't be good, or even great, but I just think a second is more realistic for Turner at this point. If other teams are giving up their first, I guess we really have no choice if we really want this guy......which I do, but for our 1st, I'm just not totally sold on that just yet.

Maybe it would work out for Buffalo though, because they will have to come up with a big contract for Turner before they trade for him, which is going to be like first round money.....so maybe this all makes a lot of sense after all.

Mr. Miyagi
03-31-2007, 07:04 AM
It's all part of the negotiation. No way anyone is giving up a 1st and 3rd for him, this year or the next.

If we give up anything more than a 2nd for Turner we'd dumb.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-31-2007, 07:06 AM
This sounds like some reporter that heard wind of something and wrote an article. If the Bills gave up a first round pick for Turner I might turn in my Bills fan card.

Night Train
03-31-2007, 07:08 AM
Turner is drawing 1st round picks in offers because teams aren't nearly as high on Peterson or Lynch for various reason. It's up to the Bills to determine his worth to them.

clumping platelets
03-31-2007, 07:12 AM
Too much

gr8slayer
03-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Take Dallas out of those rumors cause they have no interest.

camelcowboy
03-31-2007, 09:10 AM
The Giants who just aquired Droughns, and have Jacobs Turner would be the third big back on the roster. I can't see dallas having interest, and the Jets who just aquired Thomas Jones and have a platoon of backups? Something about this report reaks. NE39 and i have been the Biggest turner advocates on the board but i must say a straight up 1 and 3rd for him is outlandish. That might aquire briggs for godsakes. Just seems like alot of posturing.

Bulldog
03-31-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm all about landing Turner. But no way in hell would I give them a 1st, let alone a 1st and a 3rd. Does SD really think this guy is that much better than McGahee? It's pretty simple for SD. Either come back to reality and lower the demands for Turner and get a draft pick or two, or keep him this year and get nothing for him next year when he'll be an UFA. I would hope that the 1st & 3rd round demands are just posturing on SD's part.

acehole
03-31-2007, 09:20 AM
According to the the San Diego Union Tribune (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070331-9999-1s31chargers.html):

According to that link, teams are willing to pay the first.

interesting....but it is coming from the hometown paper.

A little hype maybe?

Thr Giants were not willing to give a first day pick for mcgahee.........

Somthing isnt quite right with the story....

I would not do a first and third for turner unless I traded down first to the end of the first...which I dont think is aloud with a rfA.

Goobylal
03-31-2007, 09:23 AM
If the Chargers want a 1st for a promising but wholly unproven RB, see ya!

acehole
03-31-2007, 09:26 AM
I agree....the Giants would not give so much with B Jacobs....he would work with the jets...but a first rounder?

Steep.

You're having a laugh if you think we should part with a R1 and a R3

Why ... because?

1) We would be able to get Leonard with our R2 and he can be equally as good a player plus is more versatile
2) There is a stunning RB class next year. The management seem to have confidence in Thomas to carry the load and maybe Jackson to surprise.
3) All teams scout at least a year ahead. They will be balancing up the quality in positions over two years plus how this fits in with urgent needs.

Turner is a good player ... He is not a R1 + R3 player.

Anybody RB can look great if the opponents Defence has already been mashed by LT

casdhf
03-31-2007, 09:27 AM
If SD holds out too long, they'll lose him next season for nothing.

Michael82
03-31-2007, 09:31 AM
If SD holds out too long, they'll lose him next season for nothing.
EXACTLY!

DraftBoy
03-31-2007, 09:37 AM
For a 1st and a 3rd we should pass on him. AJ Smith can play hardball all day long with this kid but the market has been set on RB's and its a pretty low one.

Canadian'eh!
03-31-2007, 10:03 AM
This whole article is rediculous....

any team willing to give up a 1st and 3rd can just SIGN him anyway. That's all you have to give up as compensation anyway.... then they named 3 teams that don't have any holes at RB right now, at least not glaring ones.... Dallas love Marion Barber and has Julius Jones, the Jets Thomas jones and Washington, and Giants have Jacobs and Droughns.

even if any of those teams were interested, it certainly woudln't be for a 1st round pick.....

if ANY team were offering a 1st, SD would have traded him by now i'm betting.

bad reporting

camelcowboy
03-31-2007, 10:35 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/111/story/43710.html

Bills look at Chargers’ Turner

<!-- Begin /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_byline_and_copyright_or_creditline.comp -->By Mark Gaughan NEWS SPORTS REPORTER <!-- Begin /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_copyright_with_dash.comp --><!-- Begin /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_creditline_with_dash.comp --><!-- End /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_creditline_with_dash.comp --><!-- End /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_copyright_with_dash.comp --><!-- End /PubSys/Common/Decisions/if_byline_and_copyright_or_creditline.comp -->
Updated: 03/31/07 6:48 AM

<!-- Begin /PubSys/Story/EmailPrintAbout.comp -->
<!-- End /PubSys/Story/EmailPrintAbout.comp --><!--endclickprintexclude--> The Buffalo Bills have talked to the San Diego Chargers about running back Michael Turner, AFC personnel sources told The Buffalo News this week.
Turner is the well-regarded backup to Chargers’ All-Pro La- Danian Tomlinson.
Whether the Bills’ contact with the Chargers was serious interest or whether it was the Bills simply doing due diligence in scouting out every running back option available to them was not clear.
The Bills will add a running back to their roster by the draft. Turner is a restricted free agent, and the Chargers have tendered him the highest possible contract offer to a player of that status, guaranteeing him a salary of $2.5 million if he remains in San Diego. If another team signs Turner as a free agent, then it must pay the Chargers a first-round pick and a thirdround pick in return as compensation.
A team could acquire Turner from San Diego in a trade for less than those two picks and then sign him to a contract. That scenario played out last week when Houston acquired Atlanta quarterback Matt Schaub, a restricted free agent. Houston dealt two secondround picks and switched positions in the first round with Atlanta....

Ickybaluky
03-31-2007, 01:30 PM
BTW, don't shoot the messenger. I was just passing along the article.

I find it hard to believe anyone but Ten, GB or Buf is going to go balls out for the guy, because they are the three teams with a big need at the position.

That said, I can't believe any team is going to give up a high #1 for the guy. I think he is a great young player, but that is way above what the market for RB bas been. I can see some team giving up a low #1 for the guy, or a package of picks that equal late first value. However, given a pick in the top half of the first round is overpaying, and that is from a guy who is a big fan and thinks he will be a legit top RB.

evol4276
03-31-2007, 02:23 PM
wtf doesnt njj have enuff damn rb's?

Novacane
03-31-2007, 02:33 PM
What about a #1 next year?

Michael82
03-31-2007, 02:45 PM
I believe that this article talks about what they want to happen and is pure speculation. I find it VERY hard to believe that Buffalo, Dallas, and the Jets would offer a 1st rounder for Turner. I could believe it for the Titans tho.

gr8slayer
03-31-2007, 02:49 PM
I believe that this article talks about what they want to happen and is pure speculation. I find it VERY hard to believe that Buffalo, Dallas, and the Jets would offer a 1st rounder for Turner. I could believe it for the Titans tho.
DALLAS HAS NO INTEREST. Trust me.

ParanoidAndroid
03-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Too much for a guy who had one good year as a back-up.

BillsFever21
03-31-2007, 04:17 PM
NO way you give up a 1st rounder for him. This guy has never carried the ball for more then 80 carries in a season. That is an average of less than 5 carries a game.

How can't anybody with some decent talent not come in for a couple carries here and a couple carries there when relieving the best RB in the league after he shredded the defense and not get some nice runs out of it?

He's coming in fresh from the sideline while the defense is huffing and puffing and just got ate alive after LT had a big run or grinded them out and needs a rest. While he has fresh legs the defense can't wait to get off the field. Of course he will be in better condition then them and have some nice runs out of it.

He only carried the ball 10+ times in 3 games last season. 13,10 and 11 was his carries in them games. The rest of the games were anywhere from 1-5 carries. For a few games he didn't have any carries so he must have been injured. He also missed a couple games in his rookie year. If he wasn't injured then if he was so good don't you think he would get on the field during them games or give LT more rest and keep him fresh which would prolong his career even more?

I think the guy has some talent but 157 carries in 3 years while relieving the best RB in the league who has worn out the defense doesn't add up to a first round pick. Who also missed 5 games on 157 career carries. Is he injury prone? He's never had more then 13 carries. You have no idea how he would hold up with 25+ carries in a game(s) let alone 300 carries a season(s)

Faulk and James couldn't even net 2nd round picks let alone a 1st. I'd give up the 3rd rounder from Baltimore and a 4th next year. If needed then throw in another 5th or 6th next year. No more then that and even that is risky for a guy who never carried the ball more then 13 times a game and missed 3 games last season after carrying the ball 58 times and then came back for 22 more carries afterwards.

gr8slayer
04-01-2007, 12:51 AM
The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys are not serious about acquiring Chargers restricted free agent Michael Turner.
A story in Saturday morning's San Diego Union-Tribune reported Dallas and the Jets have been talking with the Bolts about Turner. Both seem far less likely landing spots than Buffalo, Tennessee, or Green Bay.