PDA

View Full Version : Cards and Steelers to flip first rounders?

BILLSROCK1212
03-31-2007, 12:07 PM
POSTED 9:34 a.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 11:59 a.m. EDT, March 31, 2007

WHIS TO MAKE A PLAY FOR MAX?

There's talk in league circles of a possible trade between the Cardinals and the Steelers for tackle Max Starks. The rumor is that, if the deal would go down, the Steelers and the Cardinals would flip-flop first-round picks.

The Cardinals hold the No. 5 overall pick, and the Steelers draft at No. 15.

But, as far as we can tell, the talk hasn't originated in Pittsburgh. Instead, the thinking is that the Cardinals are floating this one in an effort to bring in a former Pittsburgh pupil of offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm.

It makes sense. The offensive line is the only weakness on the Cardinals' offense. And it is a glaring one.

Starks has played right tackle and left tackle for the Steelers. He currently is a restricted free agent, with a first-round tender offer. The Cardinals or any other team could sign him to an offer sheet, and if the Steelers choose not to match it the Steelers would be entitled to a first-round draft pick as compensation.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Carlton Bailey
03-31-2007, 12:09 PM
That would be a good move by the Cardinals. I really think they're building something special with Whisenhunt and Grimm in there. Pittsburgh blew it by passing on those two.

billsburgh
03-31-2007, 12:48 PM
there's already talk that when Alen Faneca's contract is up after this season he will be heading west to join Grimm and Whisenhunt. Faneca isn't really a fan of Tomin.
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07087/772995-87.stm

McBFLO
03-31-2007, 01:04 PM
If they moved up to 5, do you think they grab Peterson if Cleveland passes on him? I think they do.

Michael82
03-31-2007, 01:05 PM
there's already talk that when Alen Faneca's contract is up after this season he will be heading west to join Grimm and Whisenhunt. Faneca isn't really a fan of Tomin.
The Tomlin hire was a dumb move, especially when you have a bunch of good candidates right in your own place.

patmoran2006
03-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Cant imagine who Pitt would take at 5.. Im thinking Gaines Adams maybe.

Arizona this wouldnt be a horrible move, they really need a better OL and they can still get a good CB or S at the 15 spot, which they need.

billsburgh
03-31-2007, 01:38 PM
The Tomlin hire was a dumb move, especially when you have a bunch of good candidates right in your own place.
especially when many of the high profile players on the team were openly lobbying for the internal candidates.

chubluv
03-31-2007, 02:00 PM
If the trade does happen I dont think the Steelers would be moving up to get another RB. They would probably take a lineman.

Ickybaluky
03-31-2007, 02:24 PM
It would help Arizona on the OL, which is their biggest need. Starks would probably play LT for them. Plus, they would still get a good player at #15.

Not to mention the Cards would save a lot of money, because there is a big difference between the #5 and #15 pick, contract-wise. They always like that.

Plus, Pittsburgh is going to face losing Starks to FA next year or paying him big money. This way, they get a young player tied up for years.

Michael82
03-31-2007, 02:44 PM
especially when many of the high profile players on the team were openly lobbying for the internal candidates.
exactly. The more I think about it...the Tomlin hire was so Rooney could make him self look better by hiring a minority candidate. Afterall, wasn't the rule that says you need to interview at least one minority for the head coach position called the Rooney rule? :scratch:

YardRat
03-31-2007, 07:50 PM
If you're Arizona you make that deal in a heartbeat. If you're Pitt, you just chuckle and say 'fat chance'.

Bert102176
03-31-2007, 10:58 PM
if the Steelers do this and trade up they will be after Willis at MLB

Illmatic15
03-31-2007, 11:03 PM

Alan Faneca needs to stop his b****ing

billsburgh
03-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Alan Faneca needs to stop his b****ing
waaah, they didnt hire the coach I wanted. waaah, I'm not coming to the offseason workouts with the rest of my team.

gr8slayer
04-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Profootballtalk.com reports there have been no discussions between Arizona and Pittsburgh about a trade involving Steelers RT Max Starks.
It was simply a rumor. Starks, a restricted free agent, was given the first-round tender and would be guaranteed $1.85 million in 2007 by signing.