PDA

View Full Version : The draft versus known commodities

Mitchy moo
04-01-2007, 08:26 AM
I really thought about it and in reality, regardless of how good someone might seem to be in the draft, a currently good player in the NFL is just that. You never know what if any problems will come up money, fame and / or injuries but current NFL players are there and established. I prefer that we fill our holes with Turner / Briggs and still have a few day one picks. I just feel the odds are better.

Thoughts / concerns??

P.S. I do not think Peterson would make it to us.

Tatonka
04-01-2007, 08:37 AM
i actually would prefer turner to both of the 1st round running backs.. then i would like to see us take lorenzo booker on day two to be the 3rd down guy.

i would actually take willis over briggs though.

willis can play middle linebacker and crowell can go to strong side..

but if we trade for a guy like briggs, then we will have a guy that plays weak side linebacker.. then ellison, who is a weak side guy as well.. and crowell at either strong or middle.

so trading for briggs doesnt solve our linebacker situation.. he is just a replacement for ellison, which is the least of our concerns..

Mitchy moo
04-01-2007, 09:00 AM
i actually would prefer turner to both of the 1st round running backs.. then i would like to see us take lorenzo booker on day two to be the 3rd down guy.

i would actually take willis over briggs though.

willis can play middle linebacker and crowell can go to strong side..

but if we trade for a guy like briggs, then we will have a guy that plays weak side linebacker.. then ellison, who is a weak side guy as well.. and crowell at either strong or middle.

so trading for briggs doesnt solve our linebacker situation.. he is just a replacement for ellison, which is the least of our concerns..

Very valid points!!

YardRat
04-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Depends on the price of the vets. Turner and Briggs aren't worth giving up the first day of the draft.

If we could acquire both and still keep a late first/early second for a corner I might be willing to pull the trigger.

gr8slayer
04-01-2007, 09:42 AM
I personally think that this is a bad year to be rebuilding through the draft. This is a pretty weak draft, I think if we can land a big time player like Briggs we need to do it.

Mitchy moo
04-01-2007, 09:44 AM
I personally think that this is a bad year to be rebuilding through the draft. This is a pretty weak draft, I think if we can land a big time player like Briggs we need to do it.

He is a great player & we could use him back there.

gr8slayer
04-01-2007, 09:58 AM
He is a great player & we could use him back there.
I would just trust him a lot more than a guy like Willis who has done nothing yet.

Jan Reimers
04-01-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm a little more of a gambler. Draft picks can go bust, but they can also become big stars. I think most of our key players during our SB years came via the draft, with a few free agents and trades sprinkled in.

Briggs is a good 'backer, but Willis might be better. Turner is unproven as a feature back. I'd like to see us roll the dice on 4 of the top 100 players on day one.

Mitchy moo
04-01-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm a little more of a gambler. Draft picks can go bust, but they can also become big stars. I think most of our key players during our SB years came via the draft, with a few free agents and trades sprinkled in.

Briggs is a good 'backer, but Willis might be better. Turner is unproven as a feature back. I'd like to see us roll the dice on 4 of the top 100 players on day one.

We've been rolling the dice for 10 years and got no dice. TD liked rolling the dice as well.

kernowboy
04-01-2007, 03:19 PM
I think there really is no difference.

Often 'proven' players only prosper in certain environments. Will Briggs continue to prosper without Urlacher ... are his stats inflated by teams unwilling to take on BC? Will Turner be a great RB or the next Lamont Jordan, mopping up after a true great RB and unable to carry the load on their own?

With a rookie, with proper attention to character in the scouting, you get someone hungry to start and prove themselves, not more interested in renegotaiting their pay packet.

I'd like Willis and Leonard but I'd take Posluzny and Leonard over Briggs and Turner in R1 & R2