PDA

View Full Version : Briggs is the answer and worth our 12th!

HHURRICANE
04-01-2007, 10:07 AM
This can't be any easier. Over the last 3 years:

Adalius Thomas averaged 63 solo tackles a year, had 9 sacks, 4 ints and 8 FFs.

London Fletcher averaged 100 solo tackles a year, had 3 sacks, 5 ints and 3 FFs.

Lance Briggs averaged 100 solo tackles a year, had 3.5 sacks, 6 ints and 6 FFs.

When the 2007 season starts Fletcher will be 32, Thomas will be 30, and Briggs will be 26!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is he worth the 12th pick in the draft staright up? Yes.

Willis might be awesome but Briggs is a young proven commodity that would be a starter on this roster for potentially 6 or 7 years!!

Playing next to Urlacher might make you better but when you are averaging 100 solo tackles a year by yourself you can play ball!!

camelcowboy
04-01-2007, 10:20 AM
I agree, he's worth pick number 12

BILLSROCK1212
04-01-2007, 10:32 AM
come on Marv! get it done! I doubt that we will start serious negotiations with the Bears until we are done negotiating the Turner trade.

ddaryl
04-01-2007, 10:42 AM
Briggs is worth the #12, and is a proven starter who would pair nicley with Crowell

ublinkwescore
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm on board with this.

HHurricane - didn't you once laugh really hard at me because I started the "Get Lance Briggs bandwagon?

I think you owe me some :posrep: since you just jumped on.

Carlton Bailey
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
The only OLB better than Briggs is Merriman. If we got Lance, I'd quickly scoop up a jersey.

TacklingDummy
04-01-2007, 11:22 AM
Pass the crack pipe. :smoke:

ublinkwescore
04-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Pass the crack pipe. :smoke:

pass it?

You're the one who never lets it outta your hands.

TacklingDummy
04-01-2007, 11:34 AM
You're the one who never lets it outta your hands.

Please stop talking about what you do with your penis.

Tatonka
04-01-2007, 11:37 AM
briggs is a WEAKSIDE linebacker only.. ellison is a WEAKSIDE linebacker only. so who the **** is gonna play STRONGSIDE???

you guys are tring to trade our first to fill spots we dont need filled right now.

hell.. lets trade our first rounder for a defensive end now too!

Michael82
04-01-2007, 11:47 AM
briggs is a WEAKSIDE linebacker only.. ellison is a WEAKSIDE linebacker only. so who the **** is gonna play STRONGSIDE???

you guys are tring to trade our first to fill spots we dont need filled right now.

hell.. lets trade our first rounder for a defensive end now too!
Do you really think that they are set at WLB and can't do SLB? Come on! Each player is versatile and could most likely play the strong side. I bet Briggs could do it with no problems.

ublinkwescore
04-01-2007, 11:51 AM
even so, I'm sure with Briggs and Crowell, they will help out who ever's on the opposite side elevate their game.

Tatonka
04-01-2007, 11:53 AM
now your talking about a guy who has never made the probowl at SS.. you want to put briggs there? you think briggs is big enough to play SS LB? i dont.

i think it is pointless to trade our first round pick to fill a spot that is already filled with a young up and coming player.

it doesnt matter.. it is an internet rumor with no other sites posting anything confirming it

HHURRICANE
04-01-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm on board with this.

HHurricane - didn't you once laugh really hard at me because I started the "Get Lance Briggs bandwagon?

I think you owe me some :posrep: since you just jumped on.

I just pos repped you.

I laughed not because I don't think he would be a fit but for the fact that I highly doubt we get him. I am saying he's the answer I'm not saying we are getting him.

HHURRICANE
04-01-2007, 12:01 PM
now your talking about a guy who has never made the probowl at SS.. you want to put briggs there? you think briggs is big enough to play SS LB? i dont.

i think it is pointless to trade our first round pick to fill a spot that is already filled with a young up and coming player.

it doesnt matter.. it is an internet rumor with no other sites posting anything confirming it

If we are talking about not bringing Briggs in so we can keep Ellison where he is than I would have to strongly disagree with you. We lost Spikes and Fletcher last I looked. What position does Willis play?

kernowboy
04-01-2007, 12:04 PM
I loath this idea.

How many 'big name' players move and become flops in their new teams. His behaviour since being franchised shows a lack of character.

I do not believe he will be anywhere as effectively if he doesn't have Urlacher beside him .... Urlacher helps make Briggs.

If Briggs had had a big season with Urlacher out, then I'd agree but I don't think he has.

Trading the No12 for Briggs ... a pass for me. As is trading for Turner.

Build our own team through the draft.

HHURRICANE
04-01-2007, 12:16 PM
How many 'big name' players move and become flops in their new teams. His behaviour since being franchised shows a lack of character.

I do not believe he will be anywhere as effectively if he doesn't have Urlacher beside him .... Urlacher helps make Briggs.

If Briggs had had a big season with Urlacher out, then I'd agree but I don't think he has.

I agree that usually bringing in big names doesn't build you a team. Briggs and Turner are both risks. I will leave the character decision up to Marv and Co. since they are almost never wrong on this topic.

Considering Chicago jerked their coach around on a new contract and they have a history of being super cheap I'll let Marv dtermine if Briggs is an issue. I doubt it's going to happen anyway with Rosenhaus as briggs agent. My guess is that OBD is petty tired of Rosenhaus.

ublinkwescore
04-01-2007, 12:23 PM
I loath this idea.

Probably a hell of a lot less than rookies taken in the first round ending up being busts - remember Erik Flowers? Ryan Leaf? Eli (this guy has to be bordering on Bust status)?

ublinkwescore
04-01-2007, 12:24 PM
Kijana Carter, Brian Bosworth, the deal with Buffalo and original cleveland browns over some LB... (before my time).

mikemac2001
04-01-2007, 12:47 PM
peyton manning

patmoran2006
04-01-2007, 12:49 PM
It doesnt take a scientist to figure it out.

If Willis is gone, the next "best" LB is POS.

POS vs Briggs.

hahahaha

Make a trade there ole' Marvin

DMBcrew36
04-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Briggs HAS benefited from playing next to Urlacher. That is for certain. I'd like to see how he performs without that benefit.

HHURRICANE
04-01-2007, 01:25 PM
Briggs HAS benefited from playing next to Urlacher. That is for certain. I'd like to see how he performs without that benefit.

100 solo tackles is pretty big. The question is whether they are 8 yards down the field, aka. Fletcher, or are they within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

patmoran2006
04-01-2007, 01:33 PM
How many people understand the assignments and responsibilities of linebackers in a cover two defense?

Throne Logic
04-01-2007, 01:53 PM

You could also make the argument that BU benefited from playing next to Briggs.

Wasn't BU out for a couple games last year? Anyone know how Briggs did in those games?

DMBcrew36
04-01-2007, 02:12 PM

Wasn't BU out for a couple games last year? Anyone know how Briggs did in those games?

good point, good question.

Tatonka
04-01-2007, 03:15 PM

colvin has looked like a world killer since he stopped playing next to urlacher.:oops:

Tatonka
04-01-2007, 03:19 PM
If we are talking about not bringing Briggs in so we can keep Ellison where he is than I would have to strongly disagree with you. We lost Spikes and Fletcher last I looked. What position does Willis play?

willis has played middle and weak in college.

crowell can play all three.

ellison can play weak only (at least effectively at 225-230 lbs.)

if you bring in willis.. you slide crowell to ss, willis is in the middle, ellison on ws.

if you bring in briggs, who is and always has been a ws lb, how do you make that work?