PDA

View Full Version : Bills May View Bringing In Briggs & Turner Better Than Any 1st Round Pick This Year

Night Train
04-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Not saying it's the right thinking but screaming about Value and Building Through The Draft only goes so far with an 81 year old GM and an 88 year old Owner. They're not operating on the 5-7 year plan anymore.

Last I checked, this team has purged a whole bunch of Name, Veteran players in the last 14 Months Marv has been on the job. Is their a Younger team in the NFL than the Bills ? You better bring in some Vets to replace them.

The team had a little trouble with the live gate last year, for various reasons. They haven't been to the playoffs in 7 years and the fanbase showed with their wallets they had doubts they could compete, after starting 4-5 rookies.

They'll always have my season ticket $$ but cutting big names and replacing them with rookies doesn't send borderline ticket buyers streaming to the ticket window. Lots of people own Fletcher, Spikes, McGahee & Clements jerseys. Rookies aren't going to make them feel better about being gone.

Making the initial effort to fix the OL was a good start. The Spikes trade gained us a good rotational DT but wasn't viewed as a big gain by the fanbase. A gaping hole is evident at RB and LB.

Trading high picks for Briggs or Turner would play well to the fanbase and send people to the ticket windows. I sincerely doubt any draft pick outside of WR Calvin Johnson could do that.

I believe the best value in this draft is in Rounds 2-4 and doesn't have the blue chip value in the top 30, with such a financial risk on unproven NFL talent. Next years draft is FAR stronger at the top.

I'm just trying to see this through the Bills eyes and taking into account the age of Ralph & Marv, ticket sales, actual 1st round value and the immediate impact Vets can make over rookies on the field and at the ticket window.

It's ALWAYS a gamble but I can't fault them for making serious plays for these guys. It DOES make sense, when you consider all the factors.

Let's see how it plays out.

acehole
04-01-2007, 04:52 PM
I am in agreement with this....but in addtion wouldnt you rather give a briggs/turner the money you will give an unproven rookie?

Night Train
04-01-2007, 05:15 PM
I am in agreement with this....but in addtion wouldnt you rather give a briggs/turner the money you will give an unproven rookie?

I believe that's the Bills thinking.

Jaybird
04-01-2007, 08:37 PM
good post, well said!!!

Saratoga Slim
04-01-2007, 10:07 PM
I'd trade our first for Briggs and our second for Turner in a heartbeat. They're both young. The $$ might be another question, but talent wise, if those deals were on the table straight up, there's no question.

kgun12
04-01-2007, 10:09 PM
I'd trade our first for Briggs and our second for Turner in a heartbeat. They're both young. The $$ might be another question, but talent wise, if those deals were on the table straight up, there's no question.

The draft is a crap shoot, I'll take Briggs and Turner for our 1st and 2nd any day!

trapezeus
04-02-2007, 08:59 AM
the only issue i have with a post like this is that the fans have been clamoring about acquisitions and free agents for the past 7 years. And last year was the first year that we the FO didn't listen to us or the so called experts. They took their football knowledge and brought in football players. No matter how many mock drafts and discussions we have on who should be drafted and aquired, we simply don't see the volumes of footage that they see. Have a little trust in them and let them bring in guys they feel they can mold into their system. Therefore, i really think the fans should just speculate and have fun with the offseason, while the front office makes decisions that really will make this team a winner.

Briggs and turner have paid their dues and have expectations. Breaking them from habits that our staff sees as detrimental will be difficult and possibly start lockerroom issues. You get possibly disgruntlement in the lockerroom and you have more bills teams from 2000-2006.

patmoran2006
04-02-2007, 09:25 AM
id love them both but forget Briggs.

Even if chicago wanted to trade with us, I really dont think Marv is going to pay that much $$ for Briggs, woudnt that put us WAY over our self-imposed salary cap?

Turner is more realistic.

gr8slayer
04-02-2007, 09:26 AM
It is a pretty weak draft.