PDA

View Full Version : Who is the RFA that Marv and DJ spoke about?

jpdex12
04-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Earlier in the off season, the boyz at OBD mentioned that they were interested in at least one RFA. This was an interview with Jauron from a bb.com interview.

Is it really Turner that they were hitting on? I think so because this interview came shortly before the McGahee **** hit the fan.

The AJ Smith connection:
http://www.chargers.com/team/front_office/aj-smith.htm?&modulePageId=7
He spent the previous 27 years moving methodically through the ranks of professional football. Smith was a part-time scout, full-time scout, assistant director of scouting, director of scouting and assistant general manager before being promoted to executive vice president–general manager of the Chargers.

Indianapolis Colts President Bill Polian: “In football, A.J. has been there and done that with everything there is to do in the game, going back to the USFL days. He is a quintessential football man.”

Baltimore Ravens G.M. Ozzie Newsome: “A.J. learned from Bill Polian (Buffalo). He learned from George Allen (USFL). He’s been around successful people, so he’s learned the right way to do things.”

Smith began his second tenure with the Chargers Jan. 18, 2001 as assistant general manager and director of pro personnel. His duties included monitoring NFL transactions, evaluating pro talent, handling tryouts and free agent contracts.

Smith has worked in pro football since 1977, including three years in the United States Football League in the early 1980s. He spent 14 seasons (1987-2000) with the Buffalo Bills, joining the team as an area scout in 1987 before being named assistant director of college scouting in 1989. In 1993, Smith became director of pro personnel.

During his tenure with the Bills, referred to as the “Glory Years” in Bills history, Smith worked closely with Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy as assistant director of college scouting during Buffalo’s appearances in Super Bowls XXV, XXVI and XXVII. Smith was promoted to director of pro personnel prior to the Bills’ appearance in Super Bowl XXXVIII.

Turner is a Chicago native!!!

<TABLE class=playerStat cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH colSpan=6>RUSHING STATS</TH></TR><TR><TD class=notWideTd>Year</TD><TD class=wideTd>Team</TD><TD class=notWideTd> Att</TD><TD class=notWideTd> Yds</TD><TD class=notWideTd> Avg.</TD><TD class=notWideTd>TD</TD></TR><TR><TD class=notWideTd>2004</TD><TD class=wideTd>SAN DIEGO</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 20</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 104</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 5.2</TD><TD class=notWideTd>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=playerStat cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=notWideTd>2005</TD><TD class=wideTd>SAN DIEGO</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 57</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 335</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 5.9</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 3</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=playerStat cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=notWideTd>2006</TD><TD class=wideTd>SAN DIEGO</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 80</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 502 </TD><TD class=notWideTd> 6.3</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=playerStat cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=notWideTd>2007</TD><TD class=wideTd>SAN DIEGO </TD><TD class=notWideTd>3</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 24</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 8.0</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=playerStat cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=notWideTd>Totals</TD><TD class=wideTd>--</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 160</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 965</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 6.0</TD><TD class=notWideTd> 6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Career Info.
http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/michael-turner.htm
Draft recap for Turner
http://niuhuskies.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042504aaa.html

I'd say this is the RFA! I was not crazy about Turner but he has the tools and should be pretty hungry to be a go to guy. I wouldn't mind trading a third for him. It shouldn't take any more considering recent history of trading for a RB.

Tatonka
04-01-2007, 09:37 PM
i hope so.

jpdex12
04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
i hope so.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6628488

AJ SMith has been subtly mentioning "taking less for Turner" in recent articles. He hasn't come right out and said it but he sounds like he's dropping the hint to get a deal going.

The more I think about this, the more I like the trade with SD for Turner. He IS somewhat unproven as far as being a workhorse, but I think he is definitely worth a third rounder to find out. He's better than anyone in the third that we would take this year. I wouldn't even be mad if we traded a third this year and our extra third next year.

Tatonka
04-01-2007, 10:07 PM
he is more proven than anyone in the draft.

and i personally think he has just as much POTENTIAL as anyone in this draft.

i dont want to give up our first rounder for anyone.. but i would give up our second rounder in a heartbeat.

jpdex12
04-01-2007, 10:24 PM
he is more proven than anyone in the draft.

and i personally think he has just as much POTENTIAL as anyone in this draft.

i dont want to give up our first rounder for anyone.. but i would give up our second rounder in a heartbeat.

Man, 2nd rounder seems like too much! It would be one heck of a gamble when we need to shore up some other positions, but Marv would look like a genius if he did trade a 2nd and Turner went to the probowl or even put up 1200 yards on 2007.

Tatonka
04-01-2007, 10:36 PM
any running back can put up 1200 yards these days.

but i just think the kid could be special.. and i definately think that he is a better option than ANYTHING past lynch and peterson.. anything.. and he honestly may be as good as either one of those top prospects..

so i think a 2nd is ok.. and honestly, i wouldnt freak the hell out of the bills gave up their 1st if THEY felt he was worth it.. i really would like this kid to be a bill.. i could be way wrong and he could suck.. but i think there is LESS of a chance of that happening being that we have at least some nfl footage to look at.. as opposed to NONE for the other guys.

mikemac2001
04-01-2007, 10:48 PM

but i just think the kid could be special.. and i definately think that he is a better option than ANYTHING past lynch and peterson.. anything.. and he honestly may be as good as either one of those top prospects..

so i think a 2nd is ok.. and honestly, i wouldnt freak the hell out of the bills gave up their 1st if THEY felt he was worth it.. i really would like this kid to be a bill.. i could be way wrong and he could suck.. but i think there is LESS of a chance of that happening being that we have at least some nfl footage to look at.. as opposed to NONE for the other guys.

the way the value of RB's has been this offseason a 1st would be over paying so NO that would be a bad deal with that alone ....swapping first maybe could work but i dont like that idea either...id do a 2nd or 2 3rds but nothing more

jpdex12
04-01-2007, 10:52 PM

Speaking of NFL footage...good luck finding any vids of Turner. I looked and couldn't find any.

Tatonka
04-01-2007, 10:52 PM
so then i assume you would be really pissed if we spent a 1st rounder and drafted a running back then?

Tatonka
04-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Speaking of NFL footage...good luck finding any vids of Turner. I looked and couldn't find any.

there is some links in one of the 15 threads about turner somewhere here.. i was looking at a few this morning.

jpdex12
04-01-2007, 10:54 PM
there is some links in one of the 15 threads about turner somewhere here.. i was looking at a few this morning.

I'll have to repeat my search.

MVP
04-02-2007, 08:26 AM
Man, 2nd rounder seems like too much! It would be one heck of a gamble when we need to shore up some other positions, but Marv would look like a genius if he did trade a 2nd and Turner went to the probowl or even put up 1200 yards on 2007.
We need to shore up other positions, right but isn't running back one of those positions, and i'm pretty sure Turner is 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x better than any rb we could take in the 2nd so how could you not want this?

jpdex12
04-02-2007, 09:47 AM
We need to shore up other positions, right but isn't running back one of those positions, and i'm pretty sure Turner is 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000x better than any rb we could take in the 2nd so how could you not want this?

I would like to see us get Turner for the right price. It's hard to justify spending a higher round pick than what he's proven he's worth. In hindsight, TD proved that the 1st rounder that we used on McGahee was a waste as we didn't get much production from him and we only got a third in exchange. Willis was more proven than Turner, so paying more for an unproven RB is exactly what we did with Willis. I don't think that Marv wants to look like TD...do you?

Someof you guys just want to pay whatever for Turner and you can't JUST do that. You have to be smart about the move.