PDA

View Full Version : You play GM...it's hard to call!

jpdex12
04-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Let's say that OBD get Pat Willis in round one and we already traded our first third rounder to SD for Turner.

What do you do with our second rounder and third? I say you have to still pick BPA but only for two positions.

2nd round- WR/CB
3rd round- CB/WR

Do you grab Gonzo if he's available in the second or Eric Wright/Damion Hughes instead?

Who is the better WR you expect to be available in round two at #43?Gonzo/Rice/Craig Davis/Steve Smith
Who is the better CB you expect to be available in round two at #43? Wright/Hughes/McCauley/Josh Wilson

I think if we have Turner and get Willis WR and CB are our top positions of need in round 2-3. I thought another LB would be smart but we should still be able to get a good prospect in the 4th at LB.

I would go if available:
1-Willis
2-Gonzo (the next Wayne Chrebet)
3-Hughes
4-DeOssie

If WIllis is gone before #12 we will have lots of options:
1-(trade down!), pick Dwayne Bowe/Meachem
2-Siler/Poz/Alexander
2-(from trading down) Wright CB
3-(from Baltimore ) Buster Davis
4-O-line

venis2k1
04-02-2007, 02:45 AM
a third rounder to SD for Turner?

jpdex12
04-02-2007, 10:02 AM
a third rounder to SD for Turner?

Yeah and our third next year as well if it takes that. Nothing more! You have to start with just one first round pick this year. Start low, meet in the middle. I'd guess we offered a fourth to start with. It's like buying a car...do you go in there and offer MSRP right off the bat? NO!

OpIv37
04-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I think if the GM manages to get Turner and Willis, he should go to Tahiti and party for a week because this team will be in good shape. Once we get those two pieces in place, we'll be short in depth at a lot of positions so it's just a matter of using the pick to find the best depth available- I'd probably go WR or TE early because we might be able to find a starter to replace the junk we have.

justasportsfan
04-02-2007, 10:17 AM
don't we already have our Chrebet in Parrish?

DraftBoy
04-02-2007, 10:33 AM
1. Willis ILB
2. Siler OLB
3. Jones WR
4. Coe CB
6. Robinson DT
7a. Jackson CB
7b. Hall WR

Don't Panic
04-02-2007, 10:34 AM
I don't see us getting Turner for two 3rds (remember, they weren't willing to let him go for 2nd when they tendered him), but if we got him for a 3rd this year and a conditional next year, THEN took Willis at #12, I would say WR for our 2nd. Top three available at that time are Bowe, Meachem and Gonzo, in any order. I'd say Meachem is my favorite of those three right now.

jpdex12
04-02-2007, 11:23 AM
don't we already have our Chrebet in Parrish?

Remember, Chrebet could take a hit and not fall down all the time.

patmoran2006
04-02-2007, 11:33 AM
I think its nuts to think SD will give us Turner for just a third rounder.

Michael82
04-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah and our third next year as well if it takes that. Nothing more! You have to start with just one first round pick this year. Start low, meet in the middle. I'd guess we offered a fourth to start with. It's like buying a car...do you go in there and offer MSRP right off the bat? NO!
You are completely undervaluing Michael Turner. The Chargers placed the restricted tender of a ****ing 1st rounder and 3rd rounder. That means that if we just wanted to sign him without trading, we'd owe a 1st round and 3rd round draft pick. There's no way in hell they would let him go for a 3rd rounder or even two. No chance. At the very least, it will cost us a 2nd rounder, or a swap of first rounders. Hell, don't forget that the Texans traded a ton of picks to Atlanta for a freaking BACKUP too. San Diego knows that he's valuable and won't give him away for nothing. Trust me.

justasportsfan
04-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Remember, Chrebet could take a hit and not fall down all the time.
we haven't used Parrish enough to make any judgements. Even Jauron said, he will use Parrish more in the passing game.

I couldn't care if he was taking a hit and falling down as long as it's for a 1st down.

Saratoga Slim
04-02-2007, 11:51 AM
I think if the GM manages to get Turner and Willis, he should go to Tahiti and party for a week because this team will be in good shape. Once we get those two pieces in place, we'll be short in depth at a lot of positions so it's just a matter of using the pick to find the best depth available- I'd probably go WR or TE early because we might be able to find a starter to replace the junk we have.

Exactly right. With Turner and Willis we add two impact starters (or at least two players with an extremely good chance of being impact starters), and if Marv pulls that off he deserves a standing O.

Those are our two glaring needs at this point, so you're right, fill LB and RB and we have the luxury of drafting for quality depth. I wouldn't be disappointed in a BPA approach from that point on, with perhaps a few emphases.

what I wouldn't expect to see in the 2nd/3rdunder these circumstances:

- I imagine we are pretty set at OL at this point. I think its safe to assume Walker's starting at RT with Pennington as backup, and that Whittle/Preston/Merz/Butler/(Pennington?) will compete for the RG spot. Seems like a lot of guys in the mix to add any more. Thus I don't think they'll draft anyone until late if at all, but if they do tab a Ben Grubbs or Justin Blalock in the 2nd, I'd be fine with that, as we'd add another blue chip piece to the OL, and take another step toward making it a true strength of this team.

- I think with Walker here we're going to go with what we have on DL. We have three DEs on long term contracts, and I don't see us giving up on Triplett/Walker/KW or McCargo at this point. Those guys are going to play this year, for better or worse. Throw in Hargrove for backup, and I don't see us making any more major additions to the DL.

- TE. I think we need a better pass catching option, but I don't see anyone in the 2nd or 3rd rounds that looks very exciting. Maybe Zach Miller, Ben Patrick, but I'm still not sure they're going to offer any more than Royal.

- LB. Even with Willis, I think we still might be interested in depth, but probably not in the 2nd-3rd.

what I WOULD expect to see us emphasize in the 2nd/3rd:

- CB. We may like Youboty and McGee with Kiwi Thomas at nickel. But we dont want to get into a situation where one of those guys goes down and we have to rely on Jabrari Greer or Eric Bussey. Those guys are good situational backups, but they shouldn't be on the field any more than necessary. I think with LB and RB resolved, we'd be well advised to add a CB in the 2nd or 3rd. And I think there very likely would be a good one available.

- WR. I liked Reed's improvement, and both Price and Parrish did good things at times. But whether its TE or WR, JP needs another real consistent weapon. This is a deeper draft of WR than TEs, and I would not at all be surprised to see this group upgraded in the 2nd or 3rd round.

--FB? In the event Brian Leonard was on the board in the 2nd, he'd be an interesting option. We don't currently have a fullback. And we seem to like Royal for his blocking ability. Leonard would give us a FB who can block, but as importantly, he can catch and run like a RB (low 4.5 speed). If there's no TE that's worth drafting this high, Leonard could be the outlet receiver JP needs. I think this is unlikely, but Turner/Leonard/Thomas would be a nifty backfield.