PDA

View Full Version : Article: Philly great fit for Holcomb

The Answer
04-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Reading this article got The Answer pumped about Holcomb being an Eagle, however at the same time The Answer is still angry and saddended by trading him.......

http://www.dnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070331/SPORTS/703310309

Sparks: Philly home may be best for Holcomb
By ADAM SPARKS
sparks@dnj.com (sparks@dnj.com)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><!-- ARTICLE BODYTEXT --><!--ARTICLE TEXT-->

When it appeared Kelly Holcomb may be changing teams this NFL offseason, did anyone else wish the former MTSU quarterback would land in Nashville?

I did.
Just imagine how suited Holcomb would've been for the Titans backup job behind Vince Young.

Is he OK showing the NFL ropes to an unpolished first-round draft pick? Check. (Remember Tim Couch.)

If needed, can he be a competent starter? Check.

He has 21 career starts and solid passing numbers.

Is he comfortable living in a small market, specifically Nashville? Check.

Holcomb, a Fayetteville native, spent his first 22 years in middle Tennessee and still has a house in Murfreesboro. He has previously played in Indianapolis, Cleveland and Buffalo — not exactly glitzy NFL sites.

It would've been nice for Holcomb to return home for what may be the 33-year-old's NFL swan song, especially for those fans with a soft spot for the ex-MTSU star.

But Kerry Collins re-signed as the Titans backup, and that relationship seemed to work fine in Young's Rookie of the Year campaign.

As for Holcomb, he was traded from Buffalo to the Philadelphia Eagles earlier this week, joining Donovan McNabb and A.J. Feeley under center. It seems, for now, Holcomb is the Eagles' insurance policy in case McNabb's injured knee is slow to rehab.

When talking about the life expectancy of NFL contracts, who knows if Holcomb will be in Philly next season or even next week? "You just want a chance to win, and you never know what's going to happen," Holcomb said. "I've been in these situations before. All I want is to win."

The last playoff game for Holcomb was the 2003 AFC Wild Card game when he passed for 429 yards, the third most in NFL postseason history. Holcomb deserves a return visit.................

~The Answer

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

AndreReed83
04-02-2007, 12:17 PM
Why is Philly a glitzy NFL spot? What the **** have they ever done in the NFL? Lose a Superbowl and then decades later, lose a bunch of NFC Championship games before finally making it to the big show and choking. They have 3 NFL Championships (1948, 1949, 1960). In fact, after that 1960 Championship, they didn't even make the playoffs or earn the right to play for the Championship for another 17 years, and after a brief few years of success, they had another stretch of no playoffs. I understand the fact that it being Philly has something to do with it, but the Eagles are an overrated franchise.

mchurchfie
04-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Big deal, just different scenery with the same clipboard in his hand as a career backup. Holcomb blows.:puke:

Generalissimus Gibby
04-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Hey Answer, I've got your solution. If you are so fond of Holcomb why not go to the Iggles boards and start a Bench McNabb thread there.

OpIv37
04-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Why is Philly a glitzy NFL spot? What the **** have they ever done in the NFL? Lose a Superbowl and then decades later, lose a bunch of NFC Championship games before finally making it to the big show and choking. They have 3 NFL Championships (1948, 1949, 1960). In fact, after that 1960 Championship, they didn't even make the playoffs or earn the right to play for the Championship for another 17 years, and after a brief few years of success, they had another stretch of no playoffs. I understand the fact that it being Philly has something to do with it, but the Eagles are an overrated franchise.

Well if you look at what the Eagles have done recently vs the Browns, the Bills, and what the Colts did back when Holcomb was there, it's still a huge upgrade.

Plus, by "glitz" they're probably referring to market size and media attention, in which Philly beats the crap out of Buffalo and Cleveland, and would beat the crap out of Indy if it wasn't for Manning.

HHURRICANE
04-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Funny how every player always get better when they join their new team. Spikes has been non-existant for 2 years now but he is the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.

Holcomb lost his starting job in camp when he couldn't throw a ball more than 35 yards. How many times in '05 did he throw the short ball because he didn't want to throw the pick downfield?

I thought he was going to be a good fit here. What a cancer he turned out to be. The best evaluators of how a situation is going to work out is the reaction of the previous team's fans.

Right now Dockery is looking great but Langston Walker is looking like we just got it up the ass.

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Hey Answer, I've got your solution. If you are so fond of Holcomb why not go to the Iggles boards and start a Bench McNabb thread there.

Way ahead of you :bandwagon

~The Answer

justasportsfan
04-02-2007, 01:38 PM
I cannot disagree. KH arm and dink and dunk is best suited for the WCO.

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:41 PM
I cannot disagree. KH arm and dink and dunk is best suited for the WCO.

The Answer can see it now - Holcomb to Brian Westbrook for 10 yards, Westbrook breaks a tackle and turns it into an 80 yard TD.

Remember though - Holcomb's versatility allows him to chuck it downfield at opportune times as well. :respect:

~The Answer

justasportsfan
04-02-2007, 01:47 PM
Remember though - Holcomb's versatility allows him to chuck it downfield at opportune times as well. :respect:
downfield is usually 5 yrds out. Anything deeper than that like 10 yds is considered a hailmary attempt on Holcombs part.

gr8slayer
04-02-2007, 01:48 PM
:spam:

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:51 PM
downfield is usually 5 yrds out. Anything deeper than that like 10 yds is considered a hailmary attempt on Holcombs part.

The last playoff game for Holcomb was the 2003 AFC Wild Card game when he passed for 429 yards, the third most in NFL postseason history. Holcomb deserves a return visit.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
04-02-2007, 01:53 PM
The last playoff game for Holcomb was the 2003 AFC Wild Card game when he passed for 429 yards, the third most in NFL postseason history. Holcomb deserves a return visit.

~The Answer
dink and dunk. He probably threw for a total of 29 yards and the rest were yards after catch. :up:

Let's not forget it's 2007! Let me guess , you probably want the bills to bring in Culpepper.

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:55 PM
dink and dunk. He probably threw for a total of 29 yards and the rest were yards after catch. :up:

Let's not forget it's 2007! Maybe you should wish for the bills to bring in Culpepper.

What about the big win against the Bengals in 2005? Lots of big plays from Holcombs arm in that one.

~The Answer

HHURRICANE
04-02-2007, 01:57 PM
The Answer can see it now - Holcomb to Brian Westbrook for 10 yards, Westbrook breaks a tackle and turns it into an 80 yard TD.

~The Answer

Dude are you kidding me?! "CHUCK IT DOWNFIELD"????????

I guess you weren't watching the famous 4th and 9 where he threw it to Moulds for 5 yards. This guy sucks. PERIOD.

Seriously, why are we wasting our breath on this. Debate Spikes all you want but the Holcomb debate died in camp last year.

justasportsfan
04-02-2007, 01:59 PM
What about the big win against the Bengals in 2005? Lots of big plays from Holcombs arm in that one.

~The Answer
yup, and the entire NFL couldn't wait to trade a 1st rd pick, oh wait a 2nd rd. pick, oh wait, a third?

The Answer
04-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Dude are you kidding me?! "CHUCK IT DOWNFIELD"????????

I guess you weren't watching the famous 4th and 9 where he threw it to Moulds for 5 yards. This guy sucks. PERIOD.

Seriously, why are we wasting our breath on this. Debate Spikes all you want but the Holcomb debate died in camp last year.

If you don't want to discuss The Holcombator than don't respond to threads about him.

Thanks,

The Answer