PDA

View Full Version : Tom Modrak to be fired?

The Answer
04-02-2007, 12:05 PM
The Answer is keeping his fingers crossed......

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast

Front-office changes could adversely affect the Bills
Buffalo (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/)

We hear that the Bills (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afceast#) may be losing one of their key evaluators following this year’s draft. Tom Modrak, the team’s assistant general manager, is likely the odd man out as Buffalo’s front office continues to cut ties to the Tom Donahoe era. If Modrak departs, the biggest beneficiaries are director of pro personnel John Guy and vice president of football administration Jim Overdorf, who are responsible for more of the day-to-day operations and have been calling the shots as of late. Many league evaluators have raised their eyebrows at the amount of money Buffalo has thrown at free agents the past two years, from disappointing DT Larry Tripplett in ’06 to OG Derrick Dockery and OT Langston Walker in ’07. According to one NFL evaluator, “(L)ook at the pro acquisitions they have made and the amount of money they are giving to average players who have not panned out. … They have drafted well, and it was a good year to draft and develop offensive linemen, but they threw way too much money at free agents. I really question the direction of the team. I think they are taking a big step back with the players they’ve lost and (the ones they’ve) brought in.”

~The Answer

Don't Panic
04-02-2007, 12:08 PM
Was Mordak the one someone referred to as having made minimal visits to Buffalo? Can't remember if it was him or someone else.

camelcowboy
04-02-2007, 12:08 PM
John Guy and the Bills cap guy get more of a say, wow this is not good news if true.

BILLSROCK1212
04-02-2007, 12:09 PM
hmmmm........

bigbub2352
04-02-2007, 12:13 PM
wow this is kinda a shocker but not really
i cant believe Modrak was retained by this team in the first place, he contributed nothing while he was here and the draft he helped Donahoe have were mostly awful as well as our list of FA that didnt pan out, we will see if any of this is true or not

raphael120
04-02-2007, 12:15 PM
another one bites the dust...:jam:

The Answer
04-02-2007, 12:23 PM
wow this is kinda a shocker but not really
i cant believe Modrak was retained by this team in the first place, he contributed nothing while he was here and the draft he helped Donahoe have were mostly awful as well as our list of FA that didnt pan out, we will see if any of this is true or not

The Answer has maintained all along that Modrak is nothing more than a Donahoe shill and puppet - should have been booted to the curb when the string puller was after the 2005 season.

~The Answer

bigbub2352
04-02-2007, 12:33 PM
I agree i was shocked Levy kept him on the job when he took over, after he was the assistant GM for the 5 years we were awful under TD

TigerJ
04-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Do we know anything about John Guy? Whether this move is bad or good is going to depend on Guy's ability to evaluate talent. Overdorf is the number cruncher. I don't know to what extent the contracts offered to Dockery and Walker were his doing. How much leeway does he actually get? Who's judgement is it about what is the appropriate size contract to be offering these players.

The Answer
04-02-2007, 12:45 PM
Do we know anything about John Guy? Whether this move is bad or good is going to depend on Guy's ability to evaluate talent. Overdorf is the number cruncher. I don't know to what extent the contracts offered to Dockery and Walker were his doing. How much leeway does he actually get? Who's judgement is it about what is the appropriate size contract to be offering these players.

Modrak is worthless - Look at AJ Smith in San Diego, he worked out just fine when he got his chance to be a GM. In fact you can argue he's the best GM in the NFL right now.

The Answer is all for giving John Guy a chance - as long as we cut the cord with the last link to Donablow era.

Also for the Marv Worshippers - if he pulls the trigger and fires Modrak than he's a genius anyway right?

~The Answer

Meathead
04-02-2007, 12:52 PM
modrak was a key guy in last years excellent draft strategy. he aint goin nowhere unless its for a better job

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2007, 12:53 PM
If they are knocking the pro signings, why would the Bilsl fire the college guy and keep the pro guy?

justasportsfan
04-02-2007, 12:54 PM
wow. To think he just gave Modrak props for last years draft as far as input goes. Must be because he's hardly at OBD.

patmoran2006
04-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Provided a new owner keeps a team in Buffalo..
I really hope in the next 2-3 years we get a new owner and totally CLEAN HOUSE with our entire front office..

Let Levy get as much talent as he can for next few years, then get a FO that knows how to win championships

The Answer
04-02-2007, 12:57 PM
modrak was a key guy in last years excellent draft strategy. he aint goin nowhere unless its for a better job

Meathead - You made good points in the Turner thread that The Answer agreed with, however The Answer does not agree with this.

If Modrak was responsible for reaching for Whitner and trading back into the 1st round to grab McCargo than he definitely needs to go.

Also everybody keeps praising Marv's first draft - we still can't gauge it until at least 2008. For all we know Youbouty could be the next Chris Watson. Ellison could go from promising young LB to another Jay Foreman. Whitner could be exposed big time without Clements, and McCargo might be a complete bust.

Jury is still in sesssion - but Modrak must go!

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2007, 12:57 PM
I really hope in the next 2-3 years we get a new owner and totally CLEAN HOUSE with our entire front office..

Let Levy get as much talent as he can for next few years, then get a FO that knows how to win championships

Huh?

I really hope this team wins with this front office that has had only one year on the job.

I guess only some of want to win right now. ;)

Meathead
04-02-2007, 01:00 PM
not me

marv is installing his philosophy and it should start taking a strong hold this season. having the guys who are familiar and comfortable with that philosophy is key. if they decide to replace someone fine but if its a house cleaning youd set the team back a couple years at least

The Marv is the way and the reason and the result. trust and find peace ohm

OpIv37
04-02-2007, 01:02 PM

He was also involved in Tom Donahoe's awful personnel moves and last year's joke of a FA class.

eyedog
04-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Drafted baby Mike, mental Willis, 4th receiver Parrish, 3rd receiver Reed, traded up for Denney{he must have liked the guy}, Kelsay, always hurt Everett, nothing that impressive imo. Let him leave.

justasportsfan
04-02-2007, 01:05 PM

translation: "OMG!!!!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!! I HOPE THE TEAM WILL BE SOLD BECAUSE OF A RUMOR THAT HAS YET TO BE CONFIRMED! OMG!OMG!" :snicker:

Saratoga Slim
04-02-2007, 01:06 PM
The Answer has maintained all along that Modrak is nothing more than a Donahoe shill and puppet - should have been booted to the curb when the string puller was after the 2005 season.

~The Answer
What the hell is a "shill"? Are you British? The Billszone is no place for fancy words.

That said, I also thought it was kind of odd that he stayed on after TD left.

Meathead
04-02-2007, 01:07 PM
a) im satisfied with whitners play and dont feel it was a reach d) i admit mcjumbo was disappointing but lots of guys even first rounders struggle their first year and come on later not everybody is a peppers in fact most often not even the greatness himself bruce was mediocre his first season m) true we dont know the final grade of the last draft yet but so far the pop quizzes have gone better than expected overall giving solid reasons for optimism

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2007, 01:07 PM
He was also involved in Tom Donahoe's awful personnel moves and last year's joke of a FA class.

Actually he works on the college part and not the pro part so he likely had little to do with the FA class.

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2007, 01:08 PM
If Modrak was responsible for reaching for Whitner and trading back into the 1st round to grab McCargo than he definitely needs to go.

Also everybody keeps praising Marv's first draft - we still can't gauge it until at least 2008. For all we know Youbouty could be the next Chris Watson. Ellison could go from promising young LB to another Jay Foreman. Whitner could be exposed big time without Clements, and McCargo might be a complete bust.

~The Answer

So the jury is still out, but Modrak must be fired regardless?

:rofl:

Ed
04-02-2007, 01:09 PM
John Guy was a Donahoe guy also from his Pittsburgh days. If we're trying to cut all ties to Donhaoe, shouldn't he go too? And what do any of us really know about the front office and who's responsible for what?

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Drafted baby Mike, mental Willis, 4th receiver Parrish, 3rd receiver Reed, traded up for Denney{he must have liked the guy}, Kelsay, always hurt Everett, nothing that impressive imo. Let him leave.

He probably thinks that Mike Williams is a pro bowl calibur lineman who had 'bad luck' in Buffalo too like his buddy Donablow claimed when Jacksonville signed the slob.

~The Answer

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:10 PM
What the hell is a "shill"? Are you British? The Billszone is no place for fancy words.

That said, I also thought it was kind of odd that he stayed on after TD left.

Shill = puppet/lackey.

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2007, 01:11 PM
He probably thinks that Mike Williams is a pro bowl calibur lineman who had 'bad luck' in Buffalo too like his buddy Donablow claimed when Jacksonville signed the slob.

~The Answer

Modrak wanted Roy Williams, not Mike Williams.

OpIv37
04-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Actually he works on the college part and not the pro part so he likely had little to do with the FA class.

you sure about that? I keep hearing about how Levy is a figurehead and Modrak has more to do with the day to day operations.

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:12 PM
So the jury is still out, but Modrak must be fired regardless?

:rofl:

Modrak had a hand in all the shoddy dealing during the Donablow era as well. If Marv truly wants to clean house and differentiate himself from the previous regime than Modrak needs to be booted.

And yes - so far The Answer does not approve of last years draft and gives it a bad grade.

~The Answer

Meathead
04-02-2007, 01:12 PM
well there were some pretty big disappointments ie tuten and royal but they also got some starters and some very solid backups ie. fowler atrain tripplet

now tripplet hasnt so far been worth the dough they laid out but im thinking having walker and mcjumbo in the rotation now will free him up to be more active. hes kinda like the good #2 wr that cant really be the #1 and yet is forced into that job and doesnt impress like he did at #2. with a rook and tiny tim next to him trip became 'the guy' and defenses could focus on him more. i dont think theyll be able to do that as much with two more big bodies in the rotation

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Modrak had a hand in all the shoddy dealing during the Donablow era as well. If Marv truly wants to clean house and differentiate himself from the previous regime than Modrak needs to be booted.

And yes - so far The Answer does not approve of last years draft and gives it a bad grade.

~The Answer

How can anybody with an IQ of over 57 not like last year's draft?

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:14 PM
Modrak wanted Roy Williams, not Mike Williams.

Who cares - Roy Williams is overrated and can't cover anybody. Good hitter that's about it.

The puppet don't have a mind of his own anyway.

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
you sure about that? I keep hearing about how Levy is a figurehead and Modrak has more to do with the day to day operations.

John Guy heads up pro operations and Modrak college ops.

Meathead
does it get tiring typing the tilde plus after every post or is that automatic somehow

Philagape

A self-answering question.

patmoran2006
04-02-2007, 01:15 PM
translation: "OMG!!!!!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!! I HOPE THE TEAM WILL BE SOLD BECAUSE OF A RUMOR THAT HAS YET TO BE CONFIRMED! OMG!OMG!" :snicker:
My desires for a clean sweep from the top of the organization on down have nothing to do with a rumor.

As I said, Provided an owner agreed to keep the team here, I hope it starts from the owner and sweeps its way all the way down.

Props to Wilson for being loyal to buffalo.. but all he's proven after several years is he doesnt know how to hire the right people for the most important positions in the front office, and it eventually trickles down onto the field.

eyedog
04-02-2007, 01:17 PM

By the way, those picks were in the following rounds: 1,1,2,2,2,2,3. Is it any wonder this team hasn't made the play-offs the past seven seasons ?

OpIv37
04-02-2007, 01:18 PM

I think the quality of last year's draft is exaggerated- a lot of guys started because of the junk and lack of depth on our roster and not necessarily because of superior skills.

That being said, it was a solid draft- Whitner and Simpson are definite starters, Williams is solid, Ellison and Pennington showed some promise. Youboty and McCargo are still question marks.

justasportsfan
04-02-2007, 01:22 PM
you sure about that? I keep hearing about how Levy is a figurehead and Modrak has more to do with the day to day operations.nope. that's John Guy. Modrak is more of scouting.

justasportsfan
04-02-2007, 01:24 PM
My desires for a clean sweep from the top of the organization on down have nothing to do with a rumor.

As I said, Provided an owner agreed to keep the team here, I hope it starts from the owner and sweeps its way all the way down.

Props to Wilson for being loyal to buffalo.. but all he's proven after several years is he doesnt know how to hire the right people for the most important positions in the front office, and it eventually trickles down onto the field.

Where did your comment come from? Yup, a rumor about Modrak. :shakeno:

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:32 PM
I think the quality of last year's draft is exaggerated- a lot of guys started because of the junk and lack of depth on our roster and not necessarily because of superior skills.

That being said, it was a solid draft- Whitner and Simpson are definite starters, Williams is solid, Ellison and Pennington showed some promise. Youboty and McCargo are still question marks.

Exactly - but the homers are too blinded to realize this. With the departure of spikes, clements, fletcher, etc reality is going to smack them in the face.

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Hey Answer, you forgot the second part of his post"

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey Answer, you forgot the second part of his post"

The Answer read the whole post and like he said before - The jury is still out on the entire 2006 draft.

McCargo - you need to show The Answer something this year!

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
04-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Well, I am sure his #1 goal is to impress you.

DT's often take 2-3 years to develop. He played 5 games. 5 games. 5 games.

mchurchfie
04-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Its all Ralph's fault, he should have never got rid of Polian.:cynic:

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:43 PM

The Answer never said he didn't see potential in last years draft - however we have to realize their will be busts and camp fodder just like any other year, and it happens to every team.

Modrak has too shoddy of a reputation to keep around - we need fresh blood moving forward.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
04-02-2007, 01:50 PM
- we need fresh blood moving forward.

~The Answer
riiiiight! fresh blood like Holcomb. :coocoo:

The Answer
04-02-2007, 01:52 PM
riiiiight! fresh blood like Holcomb. :coocoo:

Holcomb was one of the only good moves that Donablow made - he did his part as a veteran QB and without him JP would have been a bust.

~The Answer

MVP
04-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Holcomb was one of the only good moves that Donablow made - he did his part as a veteran QB and without him JP would have been a bust.

~The Answeryeah cause u show your competition everything, holcomb didn't do **** for Jp, so **** him! ~the mvp

patmoran2006
04-02-2007, 03:37 PM

hahaha. I have to admit.. that's funny

oak tree 12
04-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Meathead - You made good points in the Turner thread that The Answer agreed with, however The Answer does not agree with this.

~The Answer
yea and i could turn into john elway,you are clueless!!!!!!!
ellison played great last year with no ota's so now the logical progression is that he will regress with a full year in the system under his belt,WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gr8slayer
04-02-2007, 05:01 PM
yea and i could turn into john elway,you are clueless!!!!!!!
ellison played great last year with no ota's so now the logical progression is that he will regress with a full year in the system under his belt,WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check your damn PM's lady.

BTW calling The Answer clueless is like making fun of a ******.

Night Train
04-02-2007, 05:49 PM
This makes ZERO sense ! Read !

Asst.GM Modrak = Draft ( which was good ! )
Guy = FA's

The criticism is with the FA's and the $$ spent. That's JOHN GUYS' turf, not Modrak.

WTF ???

eyedog
04-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Not completely true Night Train. Personally I have a ***** with Modraks draft's since he's been here. I would give him a "C" at best, and that will not cut it to win in Buffalo.

mchurchfie
04-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Mike Williams comes to mind, Modrak was part of that.:puke:

Jan Reimers
04-03-2007, 08:17 AM
If we're drafting well but overpaying FAs, why isn't Overdorf's head on the block?

Jan Reimers
04-03-2007, 08:32 AM

~The Answer
I have seen some incredibly ignorant posts, and this one has to be in the top ten.

Saratoga Slim
04-03-2007, 08:58 AM
I posted earlier that I thought it was kind of odd that Modrak stayed when TD left. But that may have meant that Modrak was doing good work scouting and identifying good prospects, but TD didn't use that info well and made crappy picks.
If we have another good draft this year, I won't be in any rush to show Modrak the door. Especially if he's truly the college scout, while John Guy handles the FA market.

Philagape
04-03-2007, 10:17 AM
I have seen some incredibly ignorant posts, and this one has to be in the top ten.

He has at least six of the others I bet

Michael82
04-03-2007, 12:38 PM
If we're drafting well but overpaying FAs, why isn't Overdorf's head on the block?
because Marv knows nothing about the Salary cap. :ill:

Michael82
04-03-2007, 12:43 PM
This makes ZERO sense ! Read !

Asst.GM Modrak = Draft ( which was good ! )
Guy = FA's

The criticism is with the FA's and the $$ spent. That's JOHN GUYS' turf, not Modrak.

WTF ???
Agreed. I'd fire John Guy if we were going to fire anyone. That's the guy who got pissed at me for taking notes at training camp a couple years ago. :mad: