PDA

View Full Version : Tough summer for Sabres?

YardRat
04-02-2007, 09:21 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6637316

Buffalo Sabres fans may be looking forward to the upcoming playoffs with excitement, but they're also looking toward this summer with dread.

The Sabres dominated the Eastern Conference this season and are heavy favorites to win the Stanley Cup, thanks in large part to forwards Daniel Briere and Chris Drury, who've helped transform the Sabres from a sad-sack team into a Cup contender.

However, it's possible that one or both of them might be playing elsewhere next season.

Briere and Drury both qualify for unrestricted free agency this summer and would be among the most-pursued players in the UFA market. Briere has led the Sabres in scoring two of the past three seasons and is considered one of the dangerous offensive forwards in the league. Drury has been among the Sabres top scorers, has years of postseason experience and is considered one of the game's best two-way centers.

Sabres GM Darcy Regier would love to re-sign them but the salary cap could make that difficult to do.

Regier hoped to keep payroll under $40 million for this season, but retaining his top free-agent players last summer eventually boosted it to nearly $44 million.

He presently has less than $28 million committed for next season and if he maintains payroll at $44 million appears to have plenty of space to re-sign the two, but both are likely to seek potentially substantial raises that would cut deep into that available space.

Briere earned $5 million for 2006-07 and given his 90-plus points this year could easily command over $7 million per season on the open market. Drury earned $3 million and could possibly double his money as a free agent.
Even if the two agreed to "hometown discounts" to remain in Buffalo their combined salaries could potentially cost Regier almost $11 million per season, pushing the payroll up to almost $40 million. That would leave little room to forward Tomas Vanek, defensemen Teppo Numminen and Nathan Paetsch, and a backup goalie.

Regier could consider freeing up more cap space to re-sign Briere and Drury via trades prior to July.

Right wing Ales Kotalik and defenseman Dmitri Kalinin were both mentioned in Sabres trade rumors earlier this season. Trading them could chop over $4 million from the payroll which might make it easier to re-sign Briere and Drury.

Regier could elevate RW Drew Stafford and Paetsch, both of whom have shown promise this season, as replacements for Kotalik and Kalinin. Stafford is under contract for the next two seasons, while Paetsch, who earned $450,000 this season, should cost less than $1 million per season to retain.
Failing that, he risks losing either Briere or Drury to free agency.

gr8slayer
04-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Do the Sabres have problems keepings FA's like the Bills do?

RockStar36
04-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Not neccessarily.

The cap only goes up so much though.

JD
04-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I wouldnt mind dropping Kotalik and Kalinin for Stafford and Paetsch.

SkateZilla
04-02-2007, 11:06 PM
yeah, and get some depth

Philagape
04-02-2007, 11:11 PM
I can't imagine Teppo coming back ... that's $2.6 mil freed

camelcowboy
04-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Hecht has to be a FA soon as well, i would like them to sign him back he's really underated.

BlackMetalNinja
04-03-2007, 05:07 AM
I wouldnt mind dropping Kotalik and Kalinin for Stafford and Paetsch.

Kotalik might hurt a bit, but Kalinin can go for sure. Paetsch is more than an adequate replacement. I think Stafford certainly has the potential to be as well for that matter. Try as I might though, I don't see both Drury and Briere coming back under any scenario... ESPECIALLY if we do win the Cup.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-03-2007, 06:47 AM
Briere will go somewhere else and become one of the most hated players as far as Sabres fans are concerned. After all that talk about the Buffalo organization not paying their players and he will leave for more money. I know he will become one of my most hated players if he does that.

RockStar36
04-03-2007, 07:20 AM
If he goes to Philly I'm going to have a hard time rooting for him. At all.

Philagape
04-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Briere deserves every penny a team wants to throw at him, and I wouldn't blame him at all

Earthquake Enyart
04-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Can we please get through this season first before we start crying about the sky falling in next season?

RockStar36
04-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Briere deserves every penny a team wants to throw at him, and I wouldn't blame him at all

If money is more important to him than winning and team unity, then he can have fun in Philly.

camelcowboy
04-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Can we please get through this season first before we start crying about the sky falling in next season?

Thank you

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-03-2007, 09:56 AM

Who is crying about the sky is falling or nobody is concerned about this year, it was an article that someone posted.

User Manuel
04-03-2007, 10:37 AM
One thing not mentioned in the article is that, as per league and player union projections, the cap is expected to rise at least 4 million next season. With that in mind if Tom Golisano is willing to have a 48 million dollar payroll we could keep the entire team intact as is with the exception of Numminen and Zubrus and not go over the cap even witht he Briere Drury and Vanek raises.
Also, there is a maximum amount of money a team can pay a player in relation to the cap. I dont have the exact number but effectively the Sabres can only pay a maximum of x amount of dollars for any single player by CBA rule. I believe that number is a bout 6.75 million or so. Neither player will get more than 6.5 a year IMHO.

My gut feeling is that Kotalik and Briere will not be on this team next year. Kotalik is filling a spot that Stafford will take. I believe Hecht and Connolly will be counted on to fill Briere's role. Briere will get more money than the Sabres will offer somewhere else. Quinn and Golisano are on record that they will do whatever it takes to keep Drury.

mchurchfie
04-03-2007, 11:13 AM
They need do whatever it takes to keep both..they are franchise players.

Earthquake Enyart
04-03-2007, 11:16 AM
I think one stays and one goes.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
I don't want to say a rich friend told me, but I have heard rumblings from someone close to the Sabres that they already have a contract in place for Drury and he will accept it. Now you can call me what you want, but I have gotten information from this person before that was correct. Then again, I also got BS from him. I am hoping this is true.

mchurchfie
04-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Darcy dropped the ball bad, he probably could have gotten Briere under contract for between 4-5 mill before arbitration last year.

RockStar36
04-03-2007, 01:13 PM
Darcy dropped the ball bad, he probably could have gotten Briere under contract for between 4-5 mill before arbitration last year.

I don't want to go that far. I give Darcy a lot of credit for what he got done last off-season. He basically had to re-sign the majority of the team, give them raises, and keep it under the cap. He did very well IMO.

Bill Brasky
04-03-2007, 01:26 PM
When the season started, I figured this would be Briere's last year and they would re-sign Drury this offseason...

However, after the season Briere has put together, I can't see how the hell they could justify letting him walk - especially to a team like Philly. He has nearly 30 points more than Drury.

I also put more value on guys like Hecht and Kotalik - guys who contribute in ways a stat sheet can't fathom. I think Stafford can take Kotalik's spot, but if it comes down to it, I'd rather keep both of those guys instead of letting them walk - along with at least 2 other guys - in order to keep Drury/Briere or both.

Teppo was the anchor of this defense last year, but he's as good as gone after June IMO.

Also, there is a maximum amount of money a team can pay a player in relation to the cap. I dont have the exact number but effectively the Sabres can only pay a maximum of x amount of dollars for any single player by CBA rule. I believe that number is a bout 6.75 million or so. Neither player will get more than 6.5 a year IMHO.

You are right, it's a certain percentage. I think it's something like 1 player can't exceed 25% of the teams payroll (that % may be way off base, I don't remember)... but even if the payroll went to $48 million, you give one guy 25% we're talking $12 million/year... I bet Briere could easily command 7-8 in an open market, Drury 6-7. That's $15 million committed to 2 guys, with $33 left for everyone else.