PDA

View Full Version : Addition by subtraction???

X-Era
04-03-2007, 07:06 AM
I am a staunch fan of the Levy-Jauron movement for sure. I like the positive vibe, and winners attitude that appears to be spilling over to the team.

However, I must admit that Im a bit worried about how many vets we let go this year.

In every case there was a justifiable reason. McGahee- "me" attitude, didnt play up to hype, Fletcher-wrong side of 30 and a liability versus the run with smaller DT's, Spikes-not fully recovered from injury and may never be, Clements- an underachiever this past year who commanded all pro money.

But its also true that we now have lost our starting RB, starting ILB, starting OLB, and starting CB. Those are huge gaping holes.

I realize we havent even had the draft yet. But can we expect to not only fill but equal the level of talent at ALL of those spots? We have 4 holes, and 4 day one picks. But can we expect all 4 of those picks to come in and play at their predecessors level from day one? Thats scary.

Now, we know that there are players who may step up on the roster. Ellison, Crowell, Youboty. But the running game is key and we just dont have a stud RB as of now.

In my honest opinion we should start Crowell in the middle. We should then draft a RB first and foremost. Then, I could see a very good OLB prospect in the 2nd or 3rd like a Puz, or Siler.

I think the holes can be addequately manned but it is a scary situation right now.

By the way, Im a big Donnie Spragan fan, he was a good player from Stanford and had a great rookie bowl (senior bowl I think), if he didnt produce for the Fins I dont care much, they stink! I wouldnt mind adding him hes a classic overachiever.

Jan Reimers
04-03-2007, 07:41 AM
We didn't make the playoffs with those guys, and at least Spikes and Fletcher were not getting any younger or better. McGahee was very average and didn't want to be here. Clements was WAY too expensive.

When you've missed the playoffs for seven consecutive seasons, it's time to cut your losses and move on.

HHURRICANE
04-03-2007, 07:46 AM
It looks like 4 holes but not big gapping ones like the medi a would have everyone believe. At the same time I believe Marv was more than happy to honor all of the requests to be traded. It's truly Marv's team now. As for the holes I believe we have 2 leitimate ones only and here is why:

1) Spikes was injured and hardly saw the field. When he did he was horrible. The Bills were better when Ellison was on the field. Now Spikes might have a great 2007 but the Bills aren't filling a hole left by the 2006 Spikes.

2) Nate Clements was an above average corner. Above average not great. Nate played well his last 9 games but was non existant for the previous 23. The beating he took in Miami 2 years ago only proved to me that I would rather have somebody play consistantly all of the time. Yobouty is going to surprise some people but even if we go with the argument that "he's not as good" he certainly is good enough.

3) HOLE 1: Fletcher is a hole, no doubt. I never was a big fan but right now neither Crowell or Ellsion is filling his hole or tackles. This is where praying for Patrick Willis helps.

4) HOLE 2: McGahee leaving might bring joy because he is a total POS but we're dreaming if Shauld and Thomas are filling this hole. We are compromised for sure and I don't see how we fill LB and RB with 2 starting caliber players.

So we have 1 hole fore sure that most likey will follow us into 2007.

OpIv37
04-03-2007, 08:25 AM
We didn't make the playoffs with those guys, and at least Spikes and Fletcher were not getting any younger or better. McGahee was very average and didn't want to be here. Clements was WAY too expensive.

When you've missed the playoffs for seven consecutive seasons, it's time to cut your losses and move on.

that's half the equation- the other half is finding replacements and so far we've failed on that front.

justasportsfan
04-03-2007, 08:57 AM
I know talent is huge but first of all you want players that want to be here. They didn't. I'll take hungry young players who want to prove something to the world over those older questionmarks anyday. That's how those vets started anyways.

feelthepain
04-03-2007, 10:07 AM
By the way, Im a big Donnie Spragan fan, he was a good player from Stanford and had a great rookie bowl (senior bowl I think), if he didnt produce for the Fins I dont care much, they stink! I wouldnt mind adding him hes a classic overachiever.

Wow the number 4 overall defense in the league stinks?!?! This is such a typical homer post from a Bills fan! Everyone that leaves Buffalo was the problem with the team everyone that could join the Bills is the solution!

justasportsfan
04-03-2007, 12:22 PM
Wow the number 4 overall defense in the league stinks?!?! !
yes, we ***** slapped that no. 4 D. TWICE. DUH!!!!

Jan Reimers
04-03-2007, 12:35 PM
that's half the equation- the other half is finding replacements and so far we've failed on that front.
I don't think we've failed at all. We have an untapped talent in Youboty, 4 picks in the top 92, and a brain trust that is pretty good at the draft. Give it a little time.

kernowboy
04-03-2007, 12:37 PM
A bigger and better OL will help. 4 Decent DTs and who knows if Anderson may finally get his act together at the 1-tackle. He will be fighting for his NFL Future. I have also felt Youboty will be able to step up and doing an acceptable job with a year learning th system. In the draft, I think Marv/Dick who I thoroughly rate will go for Football players, not just athletes who play football and I can the OLB being Poslusny and a RB being Leonard who we could also keep in the backfield with Thomas. I also think we could pick up a decent LB at the end of Day1, maybe a proper No2 WR and a TE.

Names such as Gonzalez (WR) deOssie or Shaw (LB) and Herian (TE) could give the roster a pleasing look.

OpIv37
04-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I don't think we've failed at all. We have an untapped talent in Youboty, 4 picks in the top 92, and a brain trust that is pretty good at the draft. Give it a little time.

you could just as easily swap "untapped" for "unproven". And anyway, even if Youboty becomes a great corner, chances are it will take time- nothing against him, it just takes time for corners to adjust to the NFL. And who knows what kind of hole we'll dig ourselves into in the meantime? The question marks on the DL and at LB just make the situation worse.

As far as draft picks: NE has 4 first day picks including two in the first round, and I believe the Jets have 4 first day picks as well. How are we supposed to close the gap when our opponents have equal or better opportunities to improve? Also, we have a LOT of holes- it's a lot to ask for one draft.

This team is still rebuilding and our record this year is going to reflect that.

feelthepain
04-03-2007, 01:00 PM
you could just as easily swap "untapped" for "unproven". And anyway, even if Youboty becomes a great corner, chances are it will take time- nothing against him, it just takes time for corners to adjust to the NFL. And who knows what kind of hole we'll dig ourselves into in the meantime? The question marks on the DL and at LB just make the situation worse.

As far as draft picks: NE has 4 first day picks including two in the first round, and I believe the Jets have 4 first day picks as well. How are we supposed to close the gap when our opponents have equal or better opportunities to improve? Also, we have a LOT of holes- it's a lot to ask for one draft.

This team is still rebuilding and our record this year is going to reflect that.

Good post.