X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Can someone explain this to me

Instead of trading for Turner, who himself was a 5th rounder 3 years ago, why can't the Bills draft a Turner themselves later this month?

Who has heard of Turner 3 years ago in the draft? So why is that it is Peterson or Lynch or we're screwed at RB?

If we spend so much money in our front office and scouts, then have some faith in them.

The proven way to build a team is the draft. If we pin our hope to outbid someone for some perceived/real talent from other teams, we are never - mark my word never - going to be successful.
  • Italian Stallion
    Knows More Than You
    • Feb 2004

Re: Can someone explain this to me

I agree 100 percent
    BILLS FOOTBALL

SABRES HOCKEY

METS BASEBALL

I like cheeseburgers and eva mendes

Comment

• more cowbell
      • Apr 2006

yup
      The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• Don't Panic
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Dec 2005

Well, we are already in a position where we're going to have to rely on our scouts quite a bit (LB, etc.) in this draft, so it makes sense to take a little pressure off of them (and a little chance out of the gamble that is the draft) and get an established player when we can. There is no telling how a guy will translate to the professional level... in Turner you have a guy who, in glimpses has shown that he can compete at this level. I agree that we shouldn't overpay for him, but he "grades out" better than anyone but AP in this draft, so you have to think he's worth it if we can get him for a single pick.

Comment

• jamesiscool
          suck it fool.
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
          Instead of trading for Turner, who himself was a 5th rounder 3 years ago, why can't the Bills draft a Turner themselves later this month?

Who has heard of Turner 3 years ago in the draft? So why is that it is Peterson or Lynch or we're screwed at RB?

If we spend so much money in our front office and scouts, then have some faith in them.

The proven way to build a team is the draft. If we pin our hope to outbid someone for some perceived/real talent from other teams, we are never - mark my word never - going to be successful.
          this just my opinion on this, so if you dont agree with me dont call me crazy....

i agree with you, to a point. you can't bet on getting a late round starting RB sleeper at anytime.

AND turner has been in the league for 5 years now and he has learned what it takes to be a RB in the NFL, where a rookie would be starting new and expected to produce in a RBBC from day one.

sooooo yes it is possible, but its not a very safe bet.
          Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh

see this thread:

The consensus would be happy with drafting Lynch in the first. Lynch is unproven in the NFL and a woman beater which goes against the things that Marv stands for. However, the consensus is against trading the 1st round pick for Turner, who in very limited duty, looks like a real NFL back. Why is it ok to draft Lynch, but

Turner has shown big-play ability in the NFL. The only knock on him is that he hasn't been asked to carry the load, but when you look at his size, speed, strength and performance as a back up, there are very few flaws.

Draft picks:
            a) aren't guaranteed to be there when we pick
            b) aren't guaranteed to perform well. There is always an element of risk in drafting- you never know when you're gonna get a Ki Jana Carter with a high pick or a Tom Brady with a 2nd day pick.

If we can fill one of our biggest holes (RB and LB IMO) with a trade before the draft, why risk filling them on a draft pick when there is a less risky option?
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jamesiscool
              suck it fool.
              • Feb 2007

oh yea and i forgot.... we got SHAUD WILLIAMS on the roster. best rb in the IMO...

Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

couple things..

as far as turner.. if i hear that he cant carry the load one more time, i am gonna puke.

HE DID CARRY THE LOAD.. he was the ONLY workhorse back in college and logged WAY more carries than Lynch did over the two years there.

as far as finding a 5th round gem that could turn into a premier back.. it doesnt happen that often honestly.

you cant EXPECT to get a terrell davis or in this case, michael turner, from the 5th round of this draft.

there are a few guys that i think fit the profile of later round picks that look like they could carry the load if the stars align.. wynn from florida and chris henry (based on size, and workout numbers, not on production). and of course there is bush, if he falls to the second day.

i am not willing to take that chance.
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jamesiscool
                  oh yea and i forgot.... we got SHAUD WILLIAMS on the roster. best rb in the IMO...

just don't exhale in his general direction- he'll fall over. Same with Roscoe Parrish.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Jul 2002

The teams that "find" the 5th round gems are generally the teams that already have great OL's.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
                      couple things..

as far as turner.. if i hear that he cant carry the load one more time, i am gonna puke.

HE DID CARRY THE LOAD.. he was the ONLY workhorse back in college and logged WAY more carries than Lynch did over the two years there.

as far as finding a 5th round gem that could turn into a premier back.. it doesnt happen that often honestly.

you cant EXPECT to get a terrell davis or in this case, michael turner, from the 5th round of this draft.

there are a few guys that i think fit the profile of later round picks that look like they could carry the load if the stars align.. wynn from florida and chris henry (based on size, and workout numbers, not on production). and of course there is bush, if he falls to the second day.

i am not willing to take that chance.
                      agreed (and I like Wynn too).
                      But dont take that chance. Between Peterson, Lynch or Turner, One of these guys needs to be the feature runner for Buffalo next season; and my pick is Turner because Peterson would cost too much to move up, as Turner I'm SURE could end up being had for something other than our first rounder.

Right now, I'm really hoping Chris Brown either resigns with Tenn or goes to GB. I think it makes Turner's value go down.

If Tenn was to resign Brown and GB takes Lynch. Turner's trade value plummets some

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• jamesiscool
                        suck it fool.
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        agreed (and I like Wynn too).
                        But dont take that chance. Between Peterson, Lynch or Turner, One of these guys needs to be the feature runner for Buffalo next season; and my pick is Turner because Peterson would cost too much to move up, as Turner I'm SURE could end up being had for something other than our first rounder.

Right now, I'm really hoping Chris Brown either resigns with Tenn or goes to GB. I think it makes Turner's value go down.

If Tenn was to resign Brown and GB takes Lynch. Turner's trade value plummets some
                        this is weird..... me and pat ar agreeing again..... am i in bizzarro world?
                        Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

like i said.. the problem is.. that even if we were completing with no one.. the chargers value turner a great deal in what he means to that team.

i heard AJ Smith on siruis 2 days ago.. he basically said that they feel they have a superbowl team.. and they have to have insurance at the running back spot. right now they feel that if something happened to LT.. then they love the fact that they have Turner.

he went on to say that at least if they lose turner, they are assured of getting 2 draft picks..

now again.. i dont know how much of that is posturing.. but he didnt sound like he was kidding and he has a valid point.
                          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                            like i said.. the problem is.. that even if we were completing with no one.. the chargers value turner a great deal in what he means to that team.

i heard AJ Smith on siruis 2 days ago.. he basically said that they feel they have a superbowl team.. and they have to have insurance at the running back spot. right now they feel that if something happened to LT.. then they love the fact that they have Turner.

he went on to say that at least if they lose turner, they are assured of getting 2 draft picks..

now again.. i dont know how much of that is posturing.. but he didnt sound like he was kidding and he has a valid point.
                            It's no skin off his nose if Turner stays.

That's why I think it will take at least a 1st to get him. These guys who think they can throw AJ a second are high.

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

i hope your wrong.. but i can clearly see his side of it for sure. turner helps them win games.. and they dont have a lot of holes to fill.. so it is not like they need the extra picks really.

Comment

Working...
                              X