PDA

View Full Version : Bears reject Redskins trade offer

BILLSROCK1212
04-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Bears | Team rejects Redskins' trade offer for Briggs
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 10:45:27 -0700

Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports as of right now, the proposed deal sending Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs and the No. 31 overall pick in the NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins for the No. 6 overall pick is off the table after Bears general manager Jerry Angelo rejected the deal. According to sources, Angelo phoned the Redskins Tuesday, April 3, with his decision. The deal, however, may not be lost for good. The Bears would like to include LB Rocky McIntosh in the deal. The Redskins, however, do not want to part with McIntosh.

Maybe the Bills will now get into these trade talks.

Devin
04-03-2007, 02:19 PM
I dont know if we will or not but I sure love it when a team (whether it makes sense or not) delivers a big ol fat "go **** yourself assface" to danny snyder, jones or any of thier cronies.

Michael82
04-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Come on Marv....get into this. You know you want Briggs! PLEASE!!! :pray:

gr8slayer
04-03-2007, 02:22 PM
The Bears are such a cheap ass organization it makes me sick. We think we have a cheap owner? They won't even take this trade because they don't want to have to pay a #6 overall pick. I would be pissed as a fan if I followed the Bears.

Tinboy
04-03-2007, 02:23 PM
So would Bears go for no 12 and NO player?

Seems we must give up something more

camelcowboy
04-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Bears are not even making a counter offer lol, thats great. Sounds like they are sending a message to rosenbaby in my opinion.

gr8slayer

Too bad we didn't hold on to Spikes, maybe they would have taken Spikes and the number twelve.

Michael82

umm, the Redskins are currently asking for a swap of picks. That's a lot different than just giving a straight up pick.

Tinboy
04-03-2007, 02:27 PM
umm, the Redskins are currently asking for a swap of picks. That's a lot different than just giving a straight up pick.
Sorry that was what I meant. :oops:

Mr. Miyagi
04-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Bears are not even making a counter offer lol, thats great. Sounds like they are sending a message to rosenbaby in my opinion.
They did, they wanted McIntosh and the Skins said no way.

Ickybaluky
04-03-2007, 02:37 PM

According to the trade chart the difference in picks is worth 1000 points, which is the value of the #16 overall pick. Thus, Chicago is looking for value greater than the 16th overall pick.

Earthquake Enyart
04-03-2007, 02:45 PM
The only chart that matters for the Bears is the salary chart.

They are still convinced that Grossman is their guy, and if they had the 6th pick there would be a fan revolt if they passed on Quinn, if he was still there.

Mr. Miyagi
04-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Quinn won't be there at #12 for sure.

Should we offer that straight up? Will they take it?

Personally I'd rather have Willis than Briggs, but if Willis could be gone at #12, grabbing Briggs in the first round is still a great pick.

Earthquake Enyart
04-03-2007, 02:55 PM
RALPH WILSON WILL NOT PAY A $15 MILLION DOLLAR SIGNING BONUS AND A $8 MILLION DOLLAR SALARY.

Mr. Miyagi
04-03-2007, 02:58 PM
What does a rookie contract look like at #12 anyway? :idunno:

Scumbag College
04-03-2007, 03:01 PM
I think it's about time to move on from the Briggs subjet. Obviously, the Bears want alot more than we could/should give up for Briggs. The Bills have had a bad track record over the years trading away first round picks for vets (e.g. Rob Johnson and Bledsoe.) Also, it's painfully obvious that Briggs wants a big time contract, and I don't think Ralph wants to spend that type of money more than once in an offseason.

Earthquake Enyart
04-03-2007, 03:04 PM
The Bears have less reason to trade Briggs than the Chargers do to trade Turner.

They can control his rights for the next 2 or 3 years, as long as they pay him.

The Answer
04-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Come on Marv....get into this. You know you want Briggs! PLEASE!!! :pray:

Briggs is a cancer and his agent is the same deushe that represented Mcgahee - he's not coming to Buffalo so get over it.

~The Answer

Mr. Miyagi
04-03-2007, 03:17 PM
The Bears have less reason to trade Briggs than the Chargers do to trade Turner.

But Briggs is basically demanding a trade by threatening to sit out. The Bears will have no reason to keep paying a guy top 5 money to play 6 games a year.

They need to trade him more than SD needs to trade Turner. At least Turner can contribute this year and get paid minimally. Briggs will be sitting and collecting top 5 dough.

ddaryl
04-03-2007, 03:20 PM

Do the Bears really want to have a hole on their team when Briggs sits out the season ?

I would think the Bears would rather get something of value and fill the hole rather then let Briggs sit and have a hole.

Ickybaluky
04-03-2007, 03:31 PM
What does a rookie contract look like at #12 anyway? :idunno:

Last year's #12 was DT Haloti Ngata of the Ravens. He received a 5 year deal worth 11.9 million (not sure of the signing bonus). There are escalators, but that is the initial worth of the contract.

The #12 picks from the years before that:

2003 Jimmy Kennedy signed a 5 year deal worth $9 million with a $5 million signining bonus.

2004 Jonathan Vilma signed a 5 year deal worth $10.3 million (+1.3) with a $7.25 million (+2.25) signing bonus.

2005 Shawne Merriman signed a 5 year deal worth $11.3 million (+1) with a $9 million (+1.75) signing bonus.

Note:

The rookie pool goes up a maximum of 5% each year, so the contracts are somewhat limited in their increase (unlike FA).

Mr. Miyagi
04-03-2007, 03:33 PM
In that case I'll take my chances on Willis falling to us. There are other LBs I could take in the 2nd also if he isn't there. All for the price of Briggs.

RedEyE
04-03-2007, 04:19 PM
I think what this rejection is saying, is that the Bears do not want to part with Briggs.

Ed
04-03-2007, 04:29 PM
I think what this rejection is saying, is that the Bears do not want to part with Briggs.
Maybe they just don't want to help the Redskins...

jamze132
04-04-2007, 04:15 AM
The Bears FO is basicaly calling Briggs' bluff. I seriously doubt he sits out the first 10 games. He may skip camp but he will be there on opening kickoff...unless he is traded of course.

jamze132
04-04-2007, 04:16 AM
And the Bears are really stupid to not offer the guy a little more than what they did. I think for a guy like Briggs, 7 yrs and $45 mil is good enough to get it done.

ublinkwescore
04-04-2007, 09:15 AM
Bernard Berrian said that Briggs wants to get paid - and the franchise tag isn't much for a LB.

trapezeus
04-04-2007, 04:55 PM
The Bears FO is basicaly calling Briggs' bluff. I seriously doubt he sits out the first 10 games. He may skip camp but he will be there on opening kickoff...unless he is traded of course.

This is a good point. the bears aren't in any rush. time is on their side.they can assess their situation, grab an LB or two in the draft. have those guys come to camp and learn the system. and then dangle briggs to another team. perhaps a team with a preseason injury to their LB. Then the bears get the advantage of sending briggs late and not being thoroughly in the new system of the new team, and a get rid of the cap hit. this way they get what they want, but not give another team a huge advantage. of course, this lowers what they get in return, but they do get rid of a headache...and LB's seem to be in pretty good stock this draft.