PDA

View Full Version : I changed my mind about Bryson...

lordofgun
08-19-2002, 09:56 PM
After watching Bryson on various replays, and listening to commentary on the game, I am now ready to cut Bryson and admit that I was wrong. On that series where we were ready to punch it in to the endzone, he ran a couple of running plays where all he needed was less than a yard. The blocks were there on those plays, and he just missed them!! If you can't follow a block into the endzone for less than a yard, you don't belong as a starter in this league.

RedEyE
08-19-2002, 10:40 PM
I still like Bryson, but with the depth on the roster if you can't get it done adios. Lil' Joe Burns was really kicking up some dust.

mchurchfie
08-19-2002, 10:52 PM
Yes, I agree..Lil Joe was tearing it up, I think that he will be a good one. He seems to have better vision than Bryson.

Earthquake Enyart
08-20-2002, 10:11 AM
I tried to tell you before. None of these guys are anything special. All this talk about getting decent draft picks for any of these guys is pure fantasy. And Henry can't catch.

WG
08-20-2002, 11:13 AM
I'm not gonna judge Bryson on one game. He's played very well when given the start and had more than a dozen or so carries.

Henry, while he had 7, count 'em, 7, good rushes, or mostly good ones, still has to prove that he can carry the ball vs. some decent Ds. So far he's done that vs. ZERO teams that had anything better than an average rush D.

I am interested in this Burns guy somewhat though. I'm sure he's not a whole lot, but ya never know. I'd also like to see what Alexander could do as well, but I'm sure he wouldn't make it thru the entire season even if he did pan out simply due to the fact that he's played all year in Europe.

HenryRules
08-20-2002, 06:37 PM
Wys, if you only include Bryson's stats from games where he had 12 or more carries and do the same thing with Huntley, their numbers are almost identical (Bryson - 153 for 637 with 2 TD's; Huntley - 149 for 631 with 2 TD's). Difference is, Huntley will also perform well in games where he doesn't have 12 carries, whereas Bryson won't (Bryson - 88 for 295 with no TD's - 3.35 ypc; Huntley 157 for 816 with with 7 TD's - 5.20 ypc). To me, that makes Huntley a much better backup than Bryson and I don't see how we could justify keeping Bryson over Huntley as our second RB.
Also, IMO Bam's little brother is a better special teams player than Bryson, and that's the most important thing for the 3rd string RB, so I don't know how we could justify keeping Bryson and letting either of the other backs go.

Oh, btw, these stats are only from 99-01 inclusive, because those are the only game stats that I could get from nfl.com

DraftBoy
08-20-2002, 08:06 PM
LOG welcome to our side! Cut Bryson!

Judge
08-20-2002, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by lordofgun
After watching Bryson on various replays, and listening to commentary on the game, I am now ready to cut Bryson and admit that I was wrong. On that series where we were ready to punch it in to the endzone, he ran a couple of running plays where all he needed was less than a yard. The blocks were there on those plays, and he just missed them!! If you can't follow a block into the endzone for less than a yard, you don't belong as a starter in this league.

Lighten up Francis. You can't gauge an entire career on 3 plays. Bryson has speed you can't teach. He's worth keeping, particularly because Henry isn't a sure thing yet.

Judge
08-20-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I tried to tell you before. None of these guys are anything special. All this talk about getting decent draft picks for any of these guys is pure fantasy. And Henry can't catch.

Exactly. None of them are worth much.

Judge
08-20-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Also, IMO Bam's little brother is a better special teams player than Bryson, and that's the most important thing for the 3rd string RB, so I don't know how we could justify keeping Bryson and letting either of the other backs go.

I've seen it posted once before that Sammy Morris is Bam's little brother. Maybe by this guy.

Is it true? I've never heard that before somebody posted it last week. I don't believe it is, but tell me how you know this, because it isn't listed in the 2002 media guide.

HenryRules
08-20-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Judge

I've seen it posted once before that Sammy Morris is Bam's little brother. Maybe by this guy.

Is it true? I've never heard that before somebody posted it last week. I don't believe it is, but tell me how you know this, because it isn't listed in the 2002 media guide.

It was probably me that posted that before as well. Up until you posted your question, I would have said I was 100% sure that Sammy was Bam's little brother. Now I'm starting to doubt myself and can't remember where I heard it (I think it was when the Bills drafted him, but I'm not sure.

I'll see if I can find any supporting evidence.

HenryRules
08-20-2002, 10:06 PM
I can't find anything anywhere on it, so chances are he's not actually Bam's brother. Closest I could find was they attended the same college - but Bam went to high school in Dallas and Sammy in San Antonio. I still think that I heard somewhere Bam and Sammy were related, but right now, I'd have to say they probably aren't. Sorry.

BillsMan80
08-20-2002, 10:08 PM
Bryson isn't a true RB though...Bryson is a FB masquerading as a RB.

HenryRules
08-20-2002, 10:17 PM

Lighten up Francis. You can't gauge an entire career on 3 plays. Bryson has speed you can't teach. He's worth keeping, particularly because Henry isn't a sure thing yet.

I agree that Henry isn't a sure thing, but disagree about the importance of a blazer at RB. Guess it depends on the style of RB you want, but I prefer RB's that can play between the tackles and excluding Henry, I'd say that Sammy Morris is more of a between-the-tackles runner than Bryson. Morris also has more experience running the ball, so I'd prefer to have him as an insurance policy for the future.

bduff54
08-20-2002, 10:33 PM
i doubht he is Bam's brother seeing as Sammy Morris was born or atleast grew up in England and to the best of my knowledge i doubht Bam learned to carry 200 pounds of weed across the chunnel!

mchurchfie
08-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules

It was probably me that posted that before as well. Up until you posted your question, I would have said I was 100% sure that Sammy was Bam's little brother. Now I'm starting to doubt myself and can't remember where I heard it (I think it was when the Bills drafted him, but I'm not sure.

I'll see if I can find any supporting evidence.

I am almost positive that you are right Henry. Sammy is Bam's brother. I couldn't find any info verifying this other than they both went to Texas Tech, but I distinctly remember it being said that he was his brother back when he was drafted.

The_Philster
08-21-2002, 03:03 AM

Still waiting to see what you base that ridiculous assertion on.

Earthquake Enyart
08-21-2002, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster

Still waiting to see what you base that ridiculous assertion on. I say that every once in a while to try to smoke out stealth or shiva (I can't remember which). That used to drive one of them nuts every time I said that. :)

Buffarama
08-21-2002, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by lordofgun

He can't run between the tackles, he never could. The yards he got last year were on the sweep. which the Bill's never ran all year. Once the other teams caught up with the sweep, Bryson became unaffective.

John Doe
08-21-2002, 11:39 AM
Travis Henry and Sammy Morris are "locks" to make the team. Travis because he IS the starter, and Morris because he is the best speical teamer on the squad (the best special teams guy makes the cut just as any of the regular starters make it). The remaining question is: Bryson or Huntley? I don't think that we need Bryson's speed (that is all he has to offer) because Charlie Rogers is versitile enough to give us some added speed back there once in a while. Huntley is supposed to be fairly fast for a guy his size as well as showing a nose for the end zone. Bryson is expendable. Its too bad because he looks so darn good running up the field!

lordofgun
08-21-2002, 11:45 AM
Bryson has speed you can't teach.

So did Carl Lewis, but he wasn't our starting RB. My point is that speed does not make for an effective running back. The second Bryson touches the ball, all the defenders will be keying on the sweep around the end because Bryson can't follow the tackles.

The_Philster
08-21-2002, 03:51 PM
I say that every once in a while to try to smoke out stealth or shiva (I can't remember which). That used to drive one of them nuts every time I said that. :)

You forgot.....they aren't here. :lol: