PDA

View Full Version : Bills' Evans deserves longer, richer contract

Mitchy moo
04-04-2007, 06:45 AM
One area the Bills haven't touched so far this offseason, and rightly so, is the No. 1 receiver position. Three-year veteran Lee Evans became one of the top wideouts in the NFL in 2006, catching 82 passes for 1,282 yards and eight touchdowns. What makes the speedy Evans' numbers more impressive is that he really didn't get consistency from talented quarterback J.P. Losman -- who experienced difficulty for the first part of last year and eventually came on during the latter half of the schedule -- or have another offensive threat to take pressure off him.

The good news for the Bills is that Evans is currently under contract through 2009. However, the 2004 first-round pick (13th overall) from the University of Wisconsin is grossly underpaid for the production he's put up. Despite dealing with average QB play from three different passers over as many years, Evans -- who is scheduled to make $773,750 in 2007, $1.05 million in '08 and $1.23 million in '09 -- has still racked up 178 receptions (16.2 yards per catch) and 24 touchdowns.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/04/bills-evans-contract040407.html

clumping platelets
04-04-2007, 06:47 AM
He can also void the last year of his deal :ontome:

YardRat
04-04-2007, 06:48 AM
Evans is the real deal...I'd be surprised if we didn't lock him up to a longer deal before this season is over.

Don't Panic
04-04-2007, 06:53 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/04/bills-evans-contract040407.html

The good news for the Bills is that Evans is currently under contract through 2009. However, the 2004 first-round pick (13th overall) from the University of Wisconsin is grossly underpaid for the production he's put up. Despite dealing with average QB play from three different passers over as many years, Evans -- who is scheduled to make $773,750 in 2007, $1.05 million in '08 and $1.23 million in '09 -- has still racked up 178 receptions (16.2 yards per catch) and 24 touchdowns.

Is now the time to get this done? He essentially is a FA after '08, so it wouldn't be preposterous to restructure now, although if his camp doesn't bring it up, we could wait until next year. Still, it'll probably save us a little to get it done now, seeing that the cap will rise again next year. I'm thinking that its going to have to be a 5 or 6 year deal averaging around $10 million... well worth it in today's market.

Don't Panic
04-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Sorry Skoob... started another right behind you.

Statman
04-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Here's the problem, given the money we gave Kelsay, Walker, and Dockery, Evans deserves more in contrast and comparison. So now he approaches the type of contract that Clements got.

I thought we don't have that kind of money?

Or is he going to get less than those guys on a per year basis?

Unfortunately there are problems when you obscenely overpay non-marquee players.

Would he be worth it, or more, if Clements wasn't?

EDS
04-04-2007, 07:21 AM
Marv better not let Evans leave. With his production, professionalism and talent he is easily worth a big contract. Without him the offense is completely devoid of game breaking ability.

Michael82
04-04-2007, 08:52 AM
There's no way that the Bills will allow Lee Evans to leave. He's just the kind of guy that the team is looking for. Plus, he's a damn good player too. :drool:

gr8slayer
04-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Andrew (Syracuse, N.Y.): Lee Evans has "Hall of Fame" talent? Are you kidding me? KC, I think you've had one too many.

Joyner: I can promise you that inebriation had nothing to do with my comments on Evans. He led the NFL last season with a 10.6 yards per attempt. This wasn't an anomaly, either, because he also led the league in this category in 2004. He is well known as a dominant deep pass threat, but also placed in the top 10 in short pass YPA in 2006.

Given Buffalo's lack of a quality No. 2 wide receiver, Evans' ability to post this level of performance is simply amazing. This isn't to say I think Evans will be a Hall of Famer, because he can't even get elected to the Pro Bowl. But the numbers do prove he has that kind of talent.

ddaryl
04-04-2007, 08:54 AM
and all of a sudden cash to cap starts to make sense.

If the Bills spent past the cap with bonuses and such to fill every hole it has with prime FA's we would have pretty much shot down are ability to get Evans and JP locked up long term.

yet I'm sure the ignore crew will have something to say about Raph being senile and cheap.

justasportsfan
04-04-2007, 09:06 AM
I used to wonder if Evans was nothng more but a deep threat. Last year proved that he can also fight for balls in traffic ,up the middle, anywhere on the field. He is also a punishing wr. Remember when he took out that security guy?

Sign him to one of the biggest contract in franchise history. I'd hold off on JP though until the end of the year and see where he's at.

ublinkwescore
04-04-2007, 09:21 AM
I used to wonder if Evans was nothng more but a deep threat. Last year proved that he can also fight for balls in traffic ,up the middle, anywhere on the field. He is also a punishing wr. Remember when he took out that security guy?

Sign him to one of the biggest contract in franchise history. I'd hold off on JP though until the end of the year and see where he's at.

Not a Security guard - oh no - I'm impressed...

Devin
04-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Here's the problem, given the money we gave Kelsay, Walker, and Dockery, Evans deserves more in contrast and comparison. So now he approaches the type of contract that Clements got.

I thought we don't have that kind of money?

Or is he going to get less than those guys on a per year basis?

Unfortunately there are problems when you obscenely overpay non-marquee players.

Would he be worth it, or more, if Clements wasn't?

Unfortunatley I agree, if Schaub gets 48mil I hate to think what JP is gonna cost if he keeps improving.

I would guess Evans is gonna be a 50 mil or so contract if not more as well.

As much as id hate to see either gone I dont know that Ralph can afford both.

OpIv37
04-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I smell holdout with Evans- obviously not this year, but if he puts up good numbers in 07 and we don't re-sign him in the 07-08 off-season, it's gonna happen.

TacklingDummy
04-04-2007, 10:03 AM
yet I'm sure the ignore crew will have something to say about Raph being senile and cheap.

Ralph is not as cheap as Bills fans are.

Ralph should raise tickets prices to at least the league average.

TacklingDummy
04-04-2007, 10:04 AM

Keep Evans. He is far more important.

TacklingDummy
04-04-2007, 10:06 AM
Moulds had crappy QB throwing to him almost his entire career in Buffalo. Evans is going to be the new Moulds.

raphael120
04-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Evans is a pure buffalo player, he's so talented, and he's believed by many analysts to be a hall of fame calibre kind of receiver. he's like schobel in that theyre outstanding but at the same time, they let their plays do the talking, and not their mouths. he's like marvin harrison in a way and much unlike the thugs of the likes of t.o., etc...that run their mouths.

we need to lock up evans, he's high character and unbelievable talent.

and i say if jp continues on the way he is, we lock both of them up, this could be the new kelly to reed. jp to lee!

raphael120
04-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Unfortunatley I agree, if Schaub gets 48mil I hate to think what JP is gonna cost if he keeps improving.

if the colts can afford peyton and marvin, then we can afford jp and lee.

if they do not resign both of them (assuming jp continues progressing the way he is), it's going to be obvious that the bills front office is NOT committed to winning.

ddaryl
04-04-2007, 11:07 AM
as I mentioend above it is apparent that the cash to cap restrictions we applied to ourselves this season was implemented partially based upon these up and coming resignings.

gr8slayer
04-04-2007, 12:56 PM

If the Colts can afford to keep Peyton, Marvin, and Reggie why can't we afford to keep Lee and JP?

Bill Brasky
04-04-2007, 01:21 PM
It'd be nice to see a guy drafted and retire as a Bill for a change... instead of serving as a farm team for the entire league.

gr8slayer
04-04-2007, 01:21 PM
It'd be nice to see a guy drafted and retire as a Bill for a change... instead of serving as a farm team for the entire league.
I agree but that likely won't happen for anyone on any team anymore with FA.

Ultra Chimp 1
04-04-2007, 01:48 PM
If I were Evans agent, I'd tell him not to report until he gets a huge new contract done.

You never know, Evans could get hurt week 3 then he'd miss out on a big payday. His value is at it's absolute highest right now, and by sitting Evans is going to send his value through the roof.

Evans would be a a total idiot not to sit out this year until the Bills show him the money.

Mitchy moo
04-05-2007, 06:56 AM
Evans needs to be tied up for at least 5 years here, the cap is only going to get higher w/ salaries.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 09:18 AM
If I were Evans agent, I'd tell him not to report until he gets a huge new contract done.

You never know, Evans could get hurt week 3 then he'd miss out on a big payday. His value is at it's absolute highest right now, and by sitting Evans is going to send his value through the roof.

Evans would be a a total idiot not to sit out this year until the Bills show him the money.
Evans would be a total idiot to listen to anything you say.