PDA

View Full Version : News Bits and Pieces

YardRat
04-05-2007, 05:32 AM
http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070404/APS/704043766

11. SAN FRANCISCO. The 49ers may end up being a trendy choice to make the playoffs because they picked up so much in free agency. But they still need help on defense and some people think PATRICK WILLIS, LB, Mississippi, is Ray Lewis. (Those people should wait a while.)

12. BUFFALO. The Bills have done some strange things in the offseason, shedding CB Nate Clements because he was too expensive, then overpaying G Derrick Dockery. They drafted Donte Whitner "too high" last season and he turned out to be very good. "Too high" for MARSHAWN LYNCH, RB, Cal. So he'll be a stud.

13. ST. LOUIS. Buyer beware. ALAN BRANCH, DT, Michigan, is the poor man's Brady Quinn, bouncing up and down the board. He might be a run-stuffing catch here, although the Rams haven't had much luck with DTs taken high.

http://www.thetowntalk.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070405/SPORTS/704050327/1006

In 1969, (James) Harris was the first black person drafted as a pro quarterback and became the first black to start a season as quarterback with the Buffalo Bills.
"I remember one thing he (coach Eddie Robinson) said to me before I left to go to professional football and not knowing if I would get a chance. He said, 'Don't expect it to be fair,'" Harris said. "'You're just going to have to be better.'"

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=632746

Takeo Spikes doesn't fit the profile of the kind of veteran player the Eagles normally go after. He's older (turned 30 in December), has a major injury in his recent past (ruptured Achilles tendon in '05) and is expensive ($4.6 million salary for '07.

But head coach Andy Reid knew he had to do something.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 09:01 AM
I like that draft pick.

OpIv37
04-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Whoever wrote that can't do math- the amount we paid Dockery is chump change compared to what Nate got, but they make it sound like we could have kept Nate if we didn't get Dockery. Not exactly.

Also, it's quite clear that a lot of these national guys watch SportsCenter and don't watch the actual games- Bills fans know damn well that Nate isn't worth anywhere close to 80 million.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 09:13 AM
Whoever wrote that can't do math- the amount we paid Dockery is chump change compared to what Nate got, but they make it sound like we could have kept Nate if we didn't get Dockery. Not exactly.

Also, it's quite clear that a lot of these national guys watch SportsCenter and don't watch the actual games- Bills fans know damn well that Nate isn't worth anywhere close to 80 million.
I'll take Dockery at $49 million over Clements at $80 million any day.

HHURRICANE
04-05-2007, 09:22 AM

Yep, right on OP!!

Out of everybody we lost the one that is the most justifiable as a loss would be Fletcher because he played every game.

1) Spikes hasn't had an impact in two years. That's a a fact because if you are injured and not on the field than you were already a hole.

2) Clements vs. Dockery. Why do you think Bills fans don't want Hall in the draft? We have more pressing needs on the team and "Playmaker" had 5 ints in 2 years so it's not like we lost Champ Bailey. Nate will be the least missed player on this team. I'll bet huge money that Dockery has way more impact this year than losing Nate.

3) McGahee, 990 yards, 4th and 1, missed blocks. Enough said.

bigbub2352
04-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Clements deal was a joke, he will have half the INT's now that we doesnt get his usual 5 from Miami evey year

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Clements deal was a joke, he will have half the INT's now that we doesnt get his usual 5 from Miami evey year
Hell he had trouble even getting that many while he was here.