PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Stingley dead at 55

Ickybaluky
04-05-2007, 07:21 AM
I remember watching the preseason game where Jack Tatum hit him and put him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. He was a very graceful and athletic WR who was on his way to a hell of a career. However, he never let himself get consumed by bitterness, and was a very inspirational guy. I remember reading his book and being amazed at what a great attitude he had.

It is also why, to this day, I will always respect John Madden. Madden visited him regularly in the hospital and was very good to Darryl and his family. He ended up retiring after that season, and a lot of people think the Stingley play had a lot to do with him giving up coaching.

LINK (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-070405stingley,0,6146376.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed)

NJFINSFAN1
04-05-2007, 07:48 AM
I remember watching the preseason game where Jack Tatum hit him and put him in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. He was a very graceful and athletic WR who was on his way to a hell of a career. However, he never let himself get consumed by bitterness, and was a very inspirational guy. I remember reading his book and being amazed at what a great attitude he had.

It is also why, to this day, I will always respect John Madden. Madden visited him regularly in the hospital and was very good to Darryl and his family. He ended up retiring after that season, and a lot of people think the Stingley play had a lot to do with him giving up coaching.

LINK (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-070405stingley,0,6146376.story?coll=chi-newsbreaking-hed)

Yeah, it seems like yesterday too! RIP D.S.

Earthquake Enyart
04-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Tatum suffered his own setbacks, eventually losing his left leg to diabetes and his right leg to an arterial blockage.

I never knew this. Talk about karma....

NJFINSFAN1
04-05-2007, 07:49 AM
I never knew this. Talk about karma....

Yeah, I never knew that either, that is something!

Jan Reimers
04-05-2007, 08:04 AM
Sad story for both players. It shows how one moment can change so many lives.

R. Rich
04-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Very sad story. I have an uncle who is a quadriplegic, so I've seen how tough it can be to exist while confined to a wheelchair. He's done it for 'bout 35 years now, and I couldn't imagine living that long while paralyzed. I remember when musician Curtis Mayfield was paralyzed and how it really altered his life. He could no longer play guitar (he had a signature style of playing) and when he completed his last studio album, he basically had to record it line by line due to respiratory problems and had to have his chair elevated when recording. He died 9 years after the accident which paralyzed him; guys like my uncle and Stingley have lived many years longer w/ paralysis. It really makes you not only think of the struggles they go through, but admire the ones who can survive and perservere despite the paralysis.

Side note: I was in attendance a couple years ago when my uncle accepted his doctorate in child psychology, more than 30 years after his accident. Amazing.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 08:46 AM
Don't think I have ever heard of him.

SquishDaFish
04-05-2007, 09:10 AM
That sucks RIP. Ive heard some good stories from my dad a Dallas fan and my uncle a Pats fan. Another sad moment in sports.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Wow I just read that, how freaking sad. I wonder what he ended up dieing of.