PDA

View Full Version : The perfect CB for us...

Tatonka
04-05-2007, 07:47 AM
Daymeion Hughes - 5'11", 192lbs.

a lot of other cbs are getting pushed ahead of him because they "worked out well".. Hughes ran a 4.6 at the combine.. then ran a 4.51 at his proday.. but the combine numbers did their damage.. people seem to be looking at him differently.

and guys like chris houston, who ran 4.3s and 4.4s, are now rising up the boards.

i am fine with that.. because if a guy like hughes is there in the 2nd round.. he is worth the pick.. or using our 2 thirds to get back into the second to get him.. i cant imagine that a guy of his talent level would make it to the 3rd, but i think the guy is a stud.

i listened to his interview yesterday on sirius, and i was so impressed by his demeanor.. the way he handled himself.

he was by far the best cb at the senior bowl and the guy is just a natural ball hawk.

there have been some cbs that have dropped in the past that have great instincts and great football speed.. and fit in perfectly in the cover 2... think rhonde barber..

i wouldnt be mad if the bills added this guy.

Daymeion Hughes
CB, California
War Room analysis
Coverage skills: Consistently stays on receivers' hips in nearly all types of coverage despite lacking elite speed and explosiveness. Shows a compact and efficient backpedal, and transitions out of it quickly to close on passes in front of him in a flash. Cuts in front of receivers to make tough interceptions. Excels in most tight man-to-man situations; is most effective when keeping hands on receivers and being physical throughout routes. Reads quarterbacks well in zone coverage, closing fast to play the ball. Grade: 8.5

Run/pass recognition: Shows great instincts, a big reason for elite productivity in the pass-happy Pac-10 despite lacking elite speed and explosiveness. Does not get fooled by play-action fakes or double moves. Doesn't bite on receivers' dips and fakes in their routes. Grade: 8.5

Closing speed: Is biggest deficiency. Shows a good burst on passes in front of him but struggles to recover once losing a step in man-to-man. This will limit him from being as productive in the NFL. Grade: 6.5

Ball skills: Is outstanding; consistently breaks up passes and gets in position for interceptions. Excels with his back to the quarterback in man-to-man coverage downfield; gets head and hands turned quickly to make tough picks. Grade: 9.0

Run support: When aggressive, comes up quickly in run support to make physical tackles. Does not always work hard; sometimes can be blocked out of plays easily. Grade: 7.0

Bottom line: Hughes, also known as "Donte," has the tools to be a good NFL cornerback, and could move into the top half of the first round if able to show improved speed (run in the 4.4 range) in workouts. Hughes will start early in his NFL career and be productive. He is best suited to go to a team that plays the Tampa-2 style of defense where the cornerbacks get coverage help downfield and can focus on playing passes in front of them.

Saratoga Slim
04-05-2007, 08:06 AM
yeah, hughes looks great. Assuming we don't get Turner, I'd be OK with a draft of

1. Patrick Willis
2. Marcus McCauley/Dameon Hughes
3. Antonio Pittman
3b. Best WR on the board.

Tatonka
04-05-2007, 08:09 AM
yeah, hughes looks great. Assuming we don't get Turner, I'd be OK with a draft of

1. Patrick Willis
2. Marcus McCauley/Dameon Hughes
3. Antonio Pittman
3b. Best WR on the board.

yeah, that would be a great draft.. jacoby jones with that 2nd 3rd rounder.

and bush with a second day pick.

patmoran2006
04-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Not that it means ****.. but I currently have Hughes going around the middle to later part of round two. If we wanted a CB in round two, I dont think we'd have to move to get him.

Saratoga, I very highly doubt that Pittman will be there in round three. I think he's currently the clear 4th RB (AP, Lynch, Leonard)- IF anything, Buffalo would have to move up to get back into the mid-second round to get him, IMO

Jan Reimers
04-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Some guys just have football instincts and a nose for the ball, which to me is far more important than a 40 time run on a track in shorts.

The Spaz
04-05-2007, 08:18 AM
I like Huges too but it will be close if he is there for our pick in the 2nd.

Saratoga Slim
04-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Not that it means ****.. but I currently have Hughes going around the middle to later part of round two. If we wanted a CB in round two, I dont think we'd have to move to get him.

Saratoga, I very highly doubt that Pittman will be there in round three. I think he's currently the clear 4th RB (AP, Lynch, Leonard)- IF anything, Buffalo would have to move up to get back into the mid-second round to get him, IMO

funny, but my thought when typing that post was that it would probably be more realistic for Hughes to fall to the 3rd than Pittman. so you're probably right, Willis/Pittman/Hughes/WR is more realistic. Either way, I'll take it.

Saratoga Slim
04-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Some guys just have football instincts and a nose for the ball, which to me is far more important than a 40 time run on a track in shorts.

someone on Sirius NFLN earlier this week (think it was Pat Kirwin) said that a lot of times teams do better with their later round picks because the 3-7 rounders don't have top measurables and thus get judged more heavily on the game tape than on timed speed, weight room strength etc. thus for the later round guys its truly about what they have done on the football field, whereas for the early rounders its a combination of what they've done and percieved potential based on measurables.

Ickybaluky
04-05-2007, 08:29 AM
The guy he is usually compared to is Ricky Manning, Jr.

Robert Meachem of Tennessee used him last year. He is a good player, but Hughes is a gambler who will both give up and make big plays. The consensus is he ends up mostly as a slot defender in the NFL.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 08:53 AM
I just wish the damn draft would get here already. Curse you NFL for making it the end of April.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-05-2007, 09:03 AM
I like Hughes, but the guy that keeps coming back to me is Jonathan Wade.

The Spaz
04-05-2007, 09:17 AM
The Sporting News comapres him to Ty Law!:up:

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 09:17 AM
The Sporting News comapres him to Ty Law!:up:
Sounds good to me.

Don't Panic
04-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I really like Hughes... not sure about the 2nd round, though. If he slipped to the third, I'd be all for it. However, if Willis, Hughes and Leonard were our first three picks, no matter how they were chosen, I would be an extremely happy camper.

DraftBoy
04-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Hughes is a good Cover 2 CB and I wouldnt mind the addittion his 40 time does bother me somewhat and he is a gambler. He also needs to work on his open field tackling and I wish he was a little bit stronger when it comes to the jam.

Others I like;
CB Micheal Coe-Alabama State-6'1, 190, 4.49-40

War Room analysis
Strengths: Is strong and physical in coverage. Shows good athleticism, size, strength and long arms. Jolts receivers with hard hand punch. Can flip hips and stay right with receivers off the line. Sticks with receivers on short routes, consistently reaching in front of them to break up passes. Shows the ball skills to break up downfield passes. Shows a compact and efficient backpedal. Uses hands and body to reroute and squeeze receivers. Shows good instincts to read quarterbacks and close quickly on passes. When aggressive, defeats wide receivers' blocks to support the run. Is the son of Alabama State's coach; plays like he has been around the game his whole life. Is a good punt returner.

Weaknesses: Lacks elite speed to stick with the fastest of NFL receivers. Shows inconsistent transition out of backpedal in off coverage, hindering ability to close on out routes. Allows receivers to close cushions in off coverage before flipping hips to turn and run. Lacks a good recovery burst if a step behind. Doesn't always work hard in run support and can get blocked too easily. Does not always break down and tackle well in open field.

Bottom line: Coe was a starter at Arkansas in '05 but transferred to Alabama State to play for his father, Charles. Michael can become a good NFL starter who excels in physical man-to-man coverage. He really helped himself with consecutive strong weeks of work at the East-West Shrine and Senior Bowl.

CB Courtney Brown-Cal Poly-6'1, 200, 4.32-40
No Scouting Report

Both guys are project picks but could really pay off after a year or two in the system.