X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Life Time Bans Could Be Coming In The NFL

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's new player conduct policy might allow him to issue lifetime bans for players involved in serious criminal activity, according to a published report.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell's to-be-unveiled player conduct policy might allow him to issue lifetime bans for players involved in serious criminal activity, according to a published report.

NFL Players' Association executive director Gene Upshaw, who was briefed on Goodell's policy, told The Washington Post, however, that Adam "Pacman" Jones and Chris Henry are not facing lifetime punishments. Jones and Henry met with the commissioner Tuesday in New York.

"None of these cases we're talking about will be a permanent ban," Upshaw told The Post in a telephone interview. "I don't think we're at that point yet with these cases. We understand there will be some type of suspension, but not that."

Upshaw and six players met with Goodell on Tuesday. The commissioner briefed the panel on several issues, including the conduct policy, but Upshaw told The Post that Goodell didn't brief the panel specifically on Jones' or Henry's situations. Upshaw and the players left before Goodell's meetings with Henry and Jones.

Upshaw told The Post that under the new policy, a first-time offender would have to undergo counseling and be placed on probation and might be fined. A second-time offender might face suspension if his infraction was considered severe.
    Good, get rid of the thugs.
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Re: Life Time Bans Could Be Coming In The NFL

Wow, I wonder what will constitute a lifetime ban?

Good to see they are taking action as the league is headed the direction of the NBA with all these overpaid thugs.

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jfreeman
      Wow, I wonder what will constitute a lifetime ban?

Good to see they are taking action as the league is headed the direction of the NBA with all these overpaid thugs.
      Well apparently it's only for "big crimes." I'm guessing murder, but I personally think they need to just have a three strikes and your out rule.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
        • Jan 2004

so I guess raping and pilaging isn't a lifetime ban?

I wonder if this was instituted about 10 years ago, if Ray Lewis' actions would have constituted a lifetime ban?

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jfreeman
            so I guess raping and pilaging isn't a lifetime ban?

I wonder if this was instituted about 10 years ago, if Ray Lewis' actions would have constituted a lifetime ban?
            I don't know exactly what will warrant a life time ban. I'm just guessing.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
              • Jan 2004

what good are you then!?!

Comment

• blackonyx89
                HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
                • Mar 2005

Yaaaay!!! It's sad to see that you have to tell grown men to stop behaving like street thugs and play the game,and lead a normal life. Obviously this is targeted for black players and a few white players,but it has to be done.
                Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Comment

Working...
                X