PDA

View Full Version : Right now, what positions need to be added to make the playoffs?!!

HHURRICANE
04-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Offense:

1) RB
2)#2 receiever

Defense:

1) LB
2) Another LB
3) DE

Are the Bills this close? I think the Offense is going to be very good this year. The OL is the best it's looked in 7 years. We need a starting RB and this is where we could screw the pooch. It's also clear that Peerless is not a #2 receiver but more like a #4.

The Defense already looks better. Hargrove will be much improved now that he knows the system. Walker, is an upgrade over Anderson. One more DE to get rid of Denney would help and I think we will definately draft one in a later round. It comes down to LBs and how many.

What do you think?

Bill Brasky
04-05-2007, 09:45 AM
bonafied #1 RB
LB
lockdown CB (i'm not sold on McGee as a CB yet)
a solid, legit #2 WR

OpIv37
04-05-2007, 09:46 AM
bonafied #1 RB
LB
lockdown CB (i'm not sold on McGee as a CB yet)
a solid, legit #2 WR

add "TE worth a damn" to that list and I think we're good.

Bill Brasky
04-05-2007, 09:47 AM
yeah, well they are set on Royal so I don't see them making any moves there, though they should.

I think there are bigger priorities right now though

acehole
04-05-2007, 09:48 AM
I would add a DT to this list and one more CB.

Offense:

1) RB
2)#2 receiever

Defense:

1) LB
2) Another LB
3) DE

Are the Bills this close? I think the Offense is going to be very good this year. The OL is the best it's looked in 7 years. We need a starting RB and this is where we could screw the pooch. It's also clear that Peerless is not a #2 receiver but more like a #4.

The Defense already looks better. Hargrove will be much improved now that he knows the system. Walker, is an upgrade over Anderson. One more DE to get rid of Denney would help and I think we will definately draft one in a later round. It comes down to LBs and how many.

What do you think?

BigGabes23
04-05-2007, 09:49 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=59&articleid=28015

There are some interesting notes in this link.

Personally, I say we need offense. I think D Jarret would be a PERFECT compliment to Lee Evans. If we could trade up into the First to get him, just think of this:

Trade 3rd round pick for Turner (People thinking that we have to give up the #12 pick for him are CRAZY)

Draft Willis 12
Trade 2nd and Third Rounder for Jarret at around pick 20

Biggest three needs are met. Thoughts?

feelthepain
04-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Offense:

1) RB
2)#2 receiever

Defense:

1) LB
2) Another LB
3) DE

What do you think?

So you think a DE, LB and the addition of Walker is all the Bills need to be a playoff defense after finishing last year with the 27th best rusing defense??

Wow!!!

justasportsfan
04-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Aside from that list, I'm not sold on Walker or the entire DT position yet. Youboty is a question mark and McGee is inconsistent.

HHURRICANE
04-05-2007, 09:51 AM
I didn't add TE or CB because I really don't believe we need either to get to the playoffs.

Royal and Cieslak played well in the end and if you look at teams around the league it's not a difference maker. It helps.

I'm not sure we had a lock down corner in Nate. His 5 ints over 2 years isn't a tremendous hole.

EDS
04-05-2007, 09:52 AM
I think right guard is still very much an issue. There are lots of bodies now to fill that position but someone has to step-up to fill what was the weakest position on the line last year.

I wish the Bills resigned Gandy, kept him at left guard where he worked well with Peters and then signed Dockery to play right guard.

justasportsfan
04-05-2007, 09:56 AM
I didn't add TE or CB because I really don't believe we need either to get to the playoffs.

Royal and Cieslak played well in the end and if you look at teams around the league it's not a difference maker. It helps.

I'm not sure we had a lock down corner in Nate. His 5 ints over 2 years isn't a tremendous hole.

I don't have a problem with our TE's. Wouldn't mnd a probowl TE but there are bigger holes IMO.

Bill Brasky
04-05-2007, 09:57 AM
the only thing i'm worried about is if Brad Cieslak has a touchdown dance?

that is #1 on my 10 burning questions for this coming season.

HHURRICANE
04-05-2007, 09:57 AM
So you think a DE, LB and the addition of Walker is all the Bills need to be a playoff defense after finishing last year with the 27th best rusing defense??

Wow!!!

McCargo (a 1st round pick) was lost in week 5. Hargrove who didn't show up on our roster until mid-season, saw limited playing time because he didn't know our system. Assuming they are healthy both will have a year under their belt, ready to go. Add Darwin Walker and another DE as Denney's eventual replacement and, yes I feel pretty good here.

It's obvious that we need at least (2) new LBs.

HHURRICANE
04-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I think right guard is still very much an issue. There are lots of bodies now to fill that position but someone has to step-up to fill what was the weakest position on the line last year.

I wish the Bills resigned Gandy, kept him at left guard where he worked well with Peters and then signed Dockery to play right guard.

???? Dude we have alot of depth right now. Even if Langston screws the pooch someone is going to come in and play RG. Hell, Whittle is better than Villareal or Preston.

patmoran2006
04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
1. Brady goes down early and is out for the season.
2. Bellicheck falls ill.
3. Pennington- see #1
4. Mangini- See #2

acehole
04-05-2007, 10:04 AM
This might sound crazy....but a Run and stop the run draft is what we need. A branch or Akoi would be just fine with me in the first and the Best ILB in the second would also be fine with me. This years (Ravens)3rd and next years second for Turner is also fine with me for turner. OLB like Durant or Alexander with our first third is ok by me as well...... We can move crowell to OLB and ILB Davis will cover the middle and Alexander/durant/elison on the other. We need to also end the under achieving Tripplet experiment also....replacing him with a branch/Akoi next to Mcargo would be a sick deffense.

Aside from that list, I'm not sold on Walker or the entire DT position yet. Youboty is a question mark and McGee is inconsistent.

justasportsfan
04-05-2007, 10:07 AM
1. Brady goes down early and is out for the season.
2. Bellicheck falls ill.
3. Pennington- see #1
4. Mangini- See #2
stay on topic.

patmoran2006
04-05-2007, 10:10 AM
I am on topic.

To make the playoffs, key players in our division must go down; we're not in the same league as NE and we're not better than the jets either.. Dont kid yourself into thinking a couple of rookies are going to change that. Be realistic with it.

This is a team that could improve; but its not good enough to beat these teams without major injuries

justasportsfan
04-05-2007, 10:11 AM
This might sound crazy....but a Run and stop the run draft is what we need. A branch or Akoi would be just fine with me in the first and the Best ILB in the second would also be fine with me. This years (Ravens)3rd and next years second for Turner is also fine with me for turner. OLB like Durant or Alexander with our first third is ok by me as well...... We can move crowell to OLB and ILB Davis will cover the middle and Alexander/durant/elison on the other. We need to also end the under achieving Tripplet experiment also....replacing him with a branch/Akoi next to Mcargo would be a sick deffense.
yup, I forgot about the lb'er. I don't think we'll be grabbing another DT anymore though. I think th FO will stick with Mccargo and Williams now that they've had one year under their belt + Walker.

justasportsfan
04-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I am on topic.

To make the playoffs, key players in our division must go down; we're not in the same league as NE and we're not better than the jets either.. Dont kid yourself into thinking a couple of rookies are going to change that. Be realistic with it.

This is a team that could improve; but its not good enough to beat these teams without major injuries Usual comprehension problems. Read the tittle of the thread. Ask around work what it means if you still don't get it.

EDS
04-05-2007, 10:14 AM
???? Dude we have alot of depth right now. Even if Langston screws the pooch someone is going to come in and play RG. Hell, Whittle is better than Villareal or Preston.

Maybe, but it is still open because we do not know how any of these guys will do.

I also think Gandy is better then Whittle and Langston Walker, especially for guard.

ddaryl
04-05-2007, 10:16 AM
Offense:

1) RB
2)#2 receiever

Defense:

1) LB
2) Another LB
3) DE

What do you think?

On O:

I really believe a stud pass catching TE would better serve us over a #2 WR IMO. I still believe Reed, Price, and Parrish will all benefit from the improved OL which will give JP and the WR's those split extra seconds needed for seperation. Add a TE that can block and get open and all of our WR's will become more effective.

On D:

I know we need an immediate fix on LB, and some depth as you mention. I also wouldn't argue with a DE, but not sure if we need another 2nd or 3rd rd DE, we need a 1st rd DE, and that ain't happening this year.

I would call CB a bigger need then DE because we can better serve our depth at CB with a latter 1st day pick at CB IMO then we could at DE.

just my opinion on our quick needs

jamesiscool
04-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Read the tittle of the thread.

hahaha u said tit..... ok now THAT was off topic

patmoran2006
04-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Usual comprehension problems. Read the tittle of the thread. Ask around work what it means if you still don't get it.
Question posed: Right now, what positions need to be added to make the playoffs?!!

Answer: Too many for a draft to fill. We only upgraded undisputably ONE position via FA.

Therefore: "To make the playoffs, key players in our division must go down; we're not in the same league as NE and we're not better than the jets either.. Dont kid yourself into thinking a couple of rookies are going to change that. Be realistic with it.

This is a team that could improve; but its not good enough to beat these teams without major injuries "

bflojohn
04-05-2007, 10:31 AM
I say solve the LB issues right away! Draft Patrick Willis and trade back up into the first round for Jon Beason! I'm convinced that the Bills love both players!! I'd even Mortgage the '08 draft to get this accomplished! Next, with just 43 and 92 available, (74 traded) we select RB Brian Leonard at 43 and follow that up with TE Scott Chandler at 92. The fourth rounder could then be OL depth, at that point, say OG Mike Jones. WR can be had late into this draft due to the depth at this position! Dallas Baker at 184 might fill the bill.

justasportsfan
04-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Question posed: Right now, what positions need to be added to make the playoffs?!!

Answer: Too many for a draft to fill. We only upgraded undisputably ONE position via FA.

Therefore: "To make the playoffs, key players in our division must go down; we're not in the same league as NE and we're not better than the jets either.. Dont kid yourself into thinking a couple of rookies are going to change that. Be realistic with it.

This is a team that could improve; but its not good enough to beat these teams without major injuries "

Had he asked, what needs to happen to the other teams for us to make playoffs you'd be on topic. Go fork the thread if you must .

realdealryan
04-05-2007, 10:43 AM
2 more receivers

a fat boy NT

RB

CB

DE

a 2 or 3 on the QB depth chart

FB

2 linebackers

owner

kernowboy
04-05-2007, 10:46 AM
To make the playoffs .....

1) Youboty needs to demonstrate solid play
2) With the extra bulk we need good play from Kyle Williams and John McCargo at the 1-tackle
3) Tripplett has to start on fire, not need to wait until the second half of the season
4) Schobel needs another great season, Denney-Kelsay-Hargrove need to continue their progress
5) Our LBs need to avoid injury
6) Pennington or Butler need to beat out Walker
7) Preston or Merz need to beat out Walker
8) We need a decent draft with 3 starters - I'd be content with Posluzny, Leonard and Gonzalez

feelthepain
04-05-2007, 11:15 AM
2 more receivers

a fat boy NT

RB

CB

DE

a 2 or 3 on the QB depth chart

FB

2 linebackers

owner

This evaluation seems closer to realistic.

Mr. Pink
04-05-2007, 11:24 AM
To make the playoffs .....

1) Youboty needs to demonstrate solid play
2) With the extra bulk we need good play from Kyle Williams and John McCargo at the 1-tackle
3) Tripplett has to start on fire, not need to wait until the second half of the season
4) Schobel needs another great season, Denney-Kelsay-Hargrove need to continue their progress
5) Our LBs need to avoid injury
6) Pennington or Butler need to beat out Walker
7) Preston or Merz need to beat out Walker
8) We need a decent draft with 3 starters - I'd be content with Posluzny, Leonard and Gonzalez

If 6 and 7 occur Marv is a complete idiot for offering that bum Walker 25 million dollars. I think Marv/Modrak/Guy whoever pulled the strings for that deal is an idiot regardless.

I think 8 happens regardless of who we draft, to be honest. It'll only take drafting a FB, LB, CB, TE. And we'll have 4 starters.

Now what does this team need to make playoffs besides luck and injuries to other teams in the division you ask!

A legitimate running back
B a FB
C A number 2 receiver who can take pressure off of Evans
D A TE that can take pressure off of Evans and open up the running game a bit, see what Gates does for the SD offense on the running game. With a good TE you have to respect play pass and it opens up some lanes in the run game.
E A more consistent pass rush on passing downs.
F Being better against the run.
G Ellison overachieving at LB if he ends up starting there or draft Willis.
H Youboty being able to stay on the field and know what he's doing or draft a new corner, Hughes or Mcauley for example.
I Better decision making from the coaching staff.
J JP progressing again and limiting boneheaded mistakes, INT for TD vs Texans and fumbling hitting the ref for example.

So there's 10 things we need to do better to be a legitimate contender in the AFC. If 5 to 7 of them fall our way, we can legitimately contend for a playoff spot.

patmoran2006
04-05-2007, 11:28 AM
It makes me sick that we're already worried about Langston Walker, and a few Raider fans I've spoken with aren't shedding tears he's gone either.

And you consider his money; and we could've had Travis Henry or Cato June for the same money-or- less- which would be a huge hole filled.

patmoran2006
04-05-2007, 11:35 AM
If 6 and 7 occur Marv is a complete idiot for offering that bum Walker 25 million dollars. I think Marv/Modrak/Guy whoever pulled the strings for that deal is an idiot regardless.
Absolutely.. Unless all fans are worried over nothing and Walker is the clear-cut starter, this is one of the dumbest FA signings I've ever seen in my life, ever.

I think 8 happens regardless of who we draft, to be honest. It'll only take drafting a FB, LB, CB, TE. And we'll have 4 starters.
Agreed. With these holes, almost anybody will start if your an early pick.

Now what does this team need to make playoffs besides luck and injuries to other teams in the division you ask!

A legitimate running back
Turner, Peterson or Lynch- in that order

B a FB
WOnt be as important in this offense.

C A number 2 receiver who can take pressure off of Evans.
im begging for an early draft pick on a WR- Jason Hill from Ariz State would be the man in round two. People have no clue right now how hard defenses will game plan to NOT let Evans beat them anymore after last year.

D A TE that can take pressure off of Evans and open up the running game a bit, see what Gates does for the SD offense on the running game. With a good TE you have to respect play pass and it opens up some lanes in the run game.
Agreed, but aint happening.

E A more consistent pass rush on passing downs.
I think our pass rush is a strength, actually.

F Being better against the run.
Single biggest reason why playoff talk is nonsense. That and a cheap owner

G Ellison overachieving at LB if he ends up starting there or draft Willis.
Elllison is starting whether we draft Willis or not. I agree, he needs to play like a big time starter now.

H Youboty being able to stay on the field and know what he's doing or draft a new corner, Hughes or Mcauley for example.
I think Kiwi Thomas is starting. Thomas and McGee must play well. I dont see us using a day one pick on a CB, but I obviously dont know. I will puke if we draft Hall at 12. It makes the offseason a joke if that happens.

I Better decision making from the coaching staff.
Yep. Jauron was really bad at decision making, at least early in the season. He did get better though as he gave Losman more leeway to make plays. that MOST continue.

J JP progressing again and limiting boneheaded mistakes, INT for TD vs Texans and fumbling hitting the ref for example.
Agreed. But he'll always make those kind of mistakes, he's that kind of player. The good news is he can make plays that few other QB's in the league do; so hopefully he'll make more of those.

So there's 10 things we need to do better to be a legitimate contender in the AFC. If 5 to 7 of them fall our way, we can legitimately contend for a playoff spot.
If last season's 2006 class ALL step up big time, especially Whitner and McCargo, Evans gets some help AND we get a legit RB in here, then we can possibly contend for a wild card. Over 16 games, we are NOT overtaking NE even if ALL these things happen.

The Answer
04-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Offense:

1) RB
2)#2 receiever

Defense:

1) LB
2) Another LB
3) DE

What do you think?

We are so far away from being a playoff calibur team right now it's laugable to even suggest this.

Can't fix all the holes in one offseason - but if we have a top 5 draft choice next year and fix our management issues we should be able to make an impact.

~The Answer