PDA

View Full Version : Turner is a good player but

Sportsuser101
04-05-2007, 12:28 PM
swapping 1st round picks or even giving up a 2nd round pick is too much. Running backs are a dime a dozen. You can get a player just as good in the 2nd round and alot cheaper. It makes no financial or player personal sense to make this trade. Basically you're trading Willis and a swap of 1st round picks for Turner (and his huge contract he'll get) and 2 3rd round picks. Am I the only 1 that thinks that is just not logical at all? I will not be happy if the Bills acquire Turner for anything more then a 3rd round pick.

Night Train
04-05-2007, 12:36 PM
This is a paper thin year for RB talent in the Draft.

No 2nd round RB even comes close to Turner in talent. If he was in this draft, he'd be picked in Round 1.

Please don't try and tell me a RB like Ohio St.'s Pittman is just as good. It's not even close.

Amare
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
if we got any chance of making the playoffs, it's turner.

Mr. Pink
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
swapping 1st round picks or even giving up a 2nd round pick is too much. Running backs are a dime a dozen. You can get a player just as good in the 2nd round and alot cheaper. It makes no financial or player personal sense to make this trade. Basically you're trading Willis and a swap of 1st round picks for Turner (and his huge contract he'll get) and 2 3rd round picks. Am I the only 1 that thinks that is just not logical at all? I will not be happy if the Bills acquire Turner for anything more then a 3rd round pick.

Basically we're getting a 1st round pick and a legitimate NFL running back for a 1st round pick.

You can't say who we're drafting at number 12, because we don't know who will be there. Willis is NOT a certainty to be available at pick 12 anyways.

It makes tons of financial sense, because the money you'd be paying the number 12 pick is money that you're instead paying to Turner. And with how far under the cap we are, we can afford it.

Paying the 30th pick is a lot different than the 12th pick. Haloti Ngata was picked 12th last year....Joseph Addai 30th. Ngata got a five-year $11.9 million contract Addai Signed a five-year, $11.65 million contract. Addai's contract is similiar because he's an impact player. But still cheaper than a DT based on position. Comparing a comparative player, Nick Mangold at 29th overall...He received a 5 year 7.4 million deal. And McCargo, our pick at DT, got a 5 year 8 million dollar deal.

So we'll get Turner a proven NFL commodity...sure he may cost between 3-4 million a year with a decent bit upfront. Still be able to draft someone 30th...a Poz, Timmons, McAuley, Hughes, etc. And fill 2 holes instead of 1.

How does this not make sense? It's not like we're one LB away from being a contender and Willis is gonna put us in the promise land, if he's even available at the 12th pick overall.

Saratoga Slim
04-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Well said funtimes. like someone else said in another thread, swapping firsts would be eons better than drafting Lynch at 12. Even assuming Lynch and Turner are equals, by swapping first we'd get Turner AND yet still pick in the first round. At least one of Beason, Poz, or Timmons will likely be there if we're focused on LB, and if not, there'll be some good talent at WR and CB. It's win win.

The Answer
04-05-2007, 12:56 PM

The Answer agrees - you can find a stud like Travis Henry/Frank Gore in the 3rd round or later....

~The Answer

ddaryl
04-05-2007, 12:59 PM
I want Turner in a Bills uniform.

1.) because I do believe (arguably) he is of equal value to the top RB's in the draft
2.) Because I believe Turner will not eat up our 1st rd pick and it frees us up to fill another hole.

Worst case scenario it costs us a 2nd rd pick. Which I don't want ot give up either, but I could live with that and feel it benefits the bills more so then drafting a RB in the 1st rd, or selecting a 2nd rd RB

Sportsuser101
04-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Can someone please explain to me how Michael Turner is a proven NFL running back? The guy has had 1 start in his career. Now it's not his fault that he got drafted to a team with the greatest running back of all time but he still has only 1 start. The guy has only 157 carries 941 yards and 7 catches in his 3 seasons. He hasn't exactly been healthy either. He's missed 5 games in his 3 seasons. He is a great backup running back and maybe even a good starting running back but to give up that many spots in the NFL draft or even give up a 2nd rounder and a ton of cash for an unproven running back? I'd take the chance and draft a running back in the 2nd round then pay alot more for an unproven player. As the NFL has proven (with Turner himself being a 3rd round pick) you can get a good running back in round 2, 3 or even later. We have more pressing needs then to address a position that historically has been easy to get a good back. Now if there was a good young proven back out there then yes I would certainly do the deal but Turner as a starter is just as much a mystery as anyone in the 2nd round but for a lot more money.

OpIv37
04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Can someone please explain to me how Michael Turner is a proven NFL running back? The guy has had 1 start in his career. Now it's not his fault that he got drafted to a team with the greatest running back of all time but he still has only 1 start. The guy has only 157 carries 941 yards and 7 catches in his 3 seasons. He hasn't exactly been healthy either. He's missed 5 games in his 3 seasons. He is a great backup running back and maybe even a good starting running back but to give up that many spots in the NFL draft or even give up a 2nd rounder and a ton of cash for an unproven running back? I'd take the chance and draft a running back in the 2nd round then pay alot more for an unproven player. As the NFL has proven (with Turner himself being a 3rd round pick) you can get a good running back in round 2, 3 or even later. We have more pressing needs then to address a position that historically has been easy to get a good back. Now if there was a good young proven back out there then yes I would certainly do the deal but Turner as a starter is just as much a mystery as anyone in the 2nd round but for a lot more money.

Missing 5 games out of 48 in the NFL is not a problem. His YPC is amazing and unlike any college back he's actually PLAYED in the NFL as a starter. He has numerous huge runs (20+ yards- I forget the actual number but it's been posted several times). The guy bowls over NFL defenders AND has breakaway speed- no draft pick has demonstrated that yet. The one knock on Turner is that he hasn't been asked to carry the full load since college, but no college RB has proven they can carry the load either and the guy has absolutely proven he can play and excel at the NFL level.

Night Train
04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Can someone explain to me how some 21-22 year old College player, picked in Round 2, is a proven NFL anything ?

ddaryl
04-05-2007, 01:20 PM

He is not "proven" as a starter but whenever he gets his touches he seem to be able to carry the Chargers along without them missing a beat.

he had more 20 yard runs last year then Willis Mcgahee did last year

he averages 6.0 ypc, which is no slouch.

He has NFL experience.

also,
He studies the playbook, and he'll show up in the offseason IMO

Look at Turners college stats and he had a better yard per game average then other RB's drafted ahead of him... including Willis Mcgahee. Turner just didn't benefit from a bigger named school IMO.

Heck even though Turner did spell LT and never caried a full load its hard ot argue that he didn't do some amazing stuff when he was asked ot. in fact he consistently did quite well reliably when the Chargers called his name.

On top of all that most Charger fans insist the Chargers keep Turner unless they get a 1st rd pick, and although they won't get that it shows you how hightly they regard Turner even with LT on their roster. in fact many Charger fans want ot keep Turner because they know how dependable he is for them and how scary the though of not having him there backing up LT is.

camelcowboy
04-05-2007, 01:20 PM
The Answer agrees - you can find a stud like Travis Henry/Frank Gore in the 3rd round or later....

~The Answer

Not this year.

ddaryl
04-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Not this year.

well one thing "The Answer" seems to lack is answers that make sense

camelcowboy
04-05-2007, 01:30 PM

First of all turner was 5th rounder, His 157 nfl careers is 157 more carries then all the rookie running backs in this draft. He was as productive as any back in college, and now he has shown he can play in the NFL. This running back class is not very strong. Every back including Peterson has major issues. Most first round backs don't run for a thousand yards in their rookie season, so how do you expect the bills to find one in the 2nd or 3rd that can. This team has lost alot of veterans and even though Turner has little playing expierence he has been in some big games, and will have a smaller learning curve then a rookie. Say the swap goes down then it allows us to focus on other positions. Any rookie back taken this year may take a year to reach their potential"especially this years class". Turner gives us a better chance of winning this year.

The Answer
04-05-2007, 01:31 PM
well one thing "The Answer" seems to lack is answers that make sense

The Answer has never been a big fan of drafting RB's, DT's, or OLine in the first round - even QB's to a certain extend.

The Answer has analyzed many draft trends over the years and there's a direct correlation with LB's, DE's, WR's and DB's taken in the 1st round and becoming instant starters/contributors right of the bat.

~The Answer

camelcowboy
04-05-2007, 01:42 PM
The Answer has never been a big fan of drafting RB's, DT's, or OLine in the first round - even QB's to a certain extend.

The Answer has analyzed many draft trends over the years and there's a direct correlation with LB's, DE's, WR's and DB's taken in the 1st round and becoming instant starters/contributors right of the bat.

~The Answer WR's awwwww no. Very rare a wideout helps immediately. Rule of thumb it takes three years. Any wide out you say is your example of a successful first round wideout, ill show you six bust. Draft is a crap shoot, and you can analyze all you want take the best player on the board. After Peterson and maybe lynch no rb taken any later will give production the bills need for this year.

Sportsuser101
04-05-2007, 01:42 PM
Can someone explain to me how some 21-22 year old College player, picked in Round 2, is a proven NFL anything ?

They're not going to get big time money coming out of the 2nd round. Turner is. Turner hasn't proven to be an NFL starter and either has a 2nd round pick but you're also paying alot more. It's the old Alvin Harper type move. Once he moves out of the #2 spotlight into the #1 spotlight and you pay him alot money there's a chance he won't be very succesful. I'd rather take the chance (almost as big a chance as Turner as a starter) on a 2nd round pick and pay him little money then pay Turner big money. And don't tell me about Turners college #s. He played at Northern Illinois.

Sportsuser101
04-05-2007, 01:45 PM
WR's awwwww no. Very rare a wideout helps immediately. Rule of thumb it takes three years. Any wide out you say is your example of a successful first round wideout, ill show you six bust. Draft is a crap shoot, and you can analyze all you want take the best player on the board. After Peterson and maybe lynch no rb taken any later will give production the bills need for this year.

Didn't realize you had a crystal ball.

dannyek71
04-05-2007, 02:28 PM

Rob Johnson had great potential too!

Novacane
04-05-2007, 02:35 PM
Turner is not worth the #12 pick.

Michael82
04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
:bf1:

Night Train
04-06-2007, 04:59 AM
They're not going to get big time money coming out of the 2nd round. Turner is.

Saving $$ ?? That's your argument ?? That's pathetic !!

What the hell does that have to do with winning football games ?? Are you Jeff Littman ??

Sportsuser101
04-06-2007, 05:29 AM
Saving $$ ?? That's your argument ?? That's pathetic !!

What the hell does that have to do with winning football games ?? Are you Jeff Littman ??

What does $ have to do with winning football games? Did you really just ask that?

alohabillsfan
04-06-2007, 05:44 AM
Give up 2nd round pick and no more!

Philagape
04-06-2007, 08:55 AM

No less proven NFL anything than Round 1