• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Good point by Billsrock. Jones trade/Turner

ON a different thread, "Billsrock" made a good point.

Thomas Jones, who's more proven in this league, was recently traded from Chicago to the Jets. All the Jets did is swap second round picks, moving down from 37th to 63rd. It was a difference of 254 draft value points..
    If Buffalo traded second rounders with SD, we'd go down from 43 to 62, a trade value for SD of 186 points.

If Buffalo threw in their fourth rounder (72 points) it would bring the point value to 258 points, which is pretty much what the Jets gave up to Chicago for Jones.

Summary: Bills and SD swap second rounders, and BUffalo gives up a fourth... As I said, I think BIllsrock made a good point and the more I think about it and compare the Jones trade, this is a fair trade.

After seeing this, maybe the consensus (including from myself) is that Buffalo could be giving up too much for Turner? Or am I missing something?

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Good point by Billsrock. Jones trade/Turner

Now we are talking sense. All this talk of giving up our #1 for him is crazy

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Novacane
      Now we are talking sense. All this talk of giving up our #1 for him is crazy
      Yes it is

although Charger fans on Charger forums are pretty much telling everyone to STFU if a 1st rd pick is not involved...

boy are they going to be heartbroken when we steal him away for a couple of 3rds

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

I still think that swapping number one's is a good idea.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
          • Jul 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl
          boy are they going to be heartbroken when we steal him away for a couple of 3rds
          I don't think that happens. I think Smith will hold onto him unless someone gives him more than what has been the market. He is looking for first round value, and is willing to go to multiple or future picks to get it. However, if he doesn't get it I think Turner remains a Charger.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by gr8slayer
            I still think that swapping number one's is a good idea.
            I did..but after seeing what the Jets gave up for a more proven Thomas JOnes, I dont think its a great deal anymore.

We should be able to get him and keep our 12th pick.. Im for anything realistic that doesnt involve us giving up #12, not even a first round swap is a good idea anymore...

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

So swapping 1st would be overpaying now or giving up a second straight up for turner would be overpaying as well?
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

Based on BIllsrock's excellent point about Jones.. I think swapping 1st rounders would be overpaying.

Second rounder straight up.. I dont know. Maybe not- especially if we got our LB in round one and were going RB in round two. In that case, I think Turner is better than anything we'd get at RB in round two.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006

Thomas Jones, who's more proven in this league, was recently traded from Chicago to the Jets. All the Jets did is swap second round picks, moving down from 37th to 63rd. It was a difference of 254 draft value points..
                  If Buffalo traded second rounders with SD, we'd go down from 43 to 62, a trade value for SD of 186 points.

If Buffalo threw in their fourth rounder (72 points) it would bring the point value to 258 points, which is pretty much what the Jets gave up to Chicago for Jones.

Summary: Bills and SD swap second rounders, and BUffalo gives up a fourth... As I said, I think BIllsrock made a good point and the more I think about it and compare the Jones trade, this is a fair trade.

After seeing this, maybe the consensus (including from myself) is that Buffalo could be giving up too much for Turner? Or am I missing something?
                  I was looking at the draft order, SD has two thirds, the #30 pick in that round and a couple picks later they have a compensatory pick, which cannot be traded. If we give up the #2 for Turner, I'd want SD's 3rd round pick along with Turner. (I don't know how many draft picks that is.) There are alot of holes on this team, and I would want as many first day and 4th round picks as possible. So, to go along with all the other scenarios, here's mine:

Bills giive their #2 draft pick (43rd overall) for SD's third round (93rd) pick and Turner.
                  Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                    • Jul 2003

I did..but after seeing what the Jets gave up for a more proven Thomas JOnes, I dont think its a great deal anymore.
                    Situations are different. Jones wanted a new contract and let them know he wanted a new deal or a trade. They wanted to get rid of him to clear things away for Cedric Benson anyway, so they dealt him.

SD doesn't necessarily want to get rid of Turner, but they face losing him to FA in a year anyway. If they get value that makes it worthwhile, they are willing to deal him. Otherwise, they hold onto him and get another year before letting him go and taking a comp pick a year later.

It isn't like SD is holding a fire sale on the guy.

Comment

• BILLSROCK1212
                      !?!?!?!?!?
                      • Mar 2006

thanks Pat....If this gets done I'll be pretty happy I am just not sure about throwing in that 4th rounder but if that's what it takes to get it done well then lets do it

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

As much as I agree with you about value - personally, I don't want to see anything involving our 1st rounder, swap or otherwise.

It all comes down to how sure the Bills (or any other team) are about Turner living up to his potential - if they believe he can be an elite back, he's still young and he's worth more than somebody like Jones, who's ceiling has certainly been established, and who's getting old for a RB.

Personally, I think TJ played above his talent last year, and won't do much with the Jets.. I never thought he was that great a back to begin with.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                          • Mar 2005

Pat, you are on the ball. Turner is a 5th round draft choice, who plays on a great team, behind one of the greatest RBs in the league.

I'd give up no more than a second rounder and that would be a hell of a lot. than with our 3rd I take a chance on Michael Bush.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                            Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                            • Jan 2004

i think that would be more than fair considering Jones was a legit starter, and all we know about Turner is a bunch of hype and hearsay.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

At the end of the day , im a HUGE Turner fan and I really want him on our team.

I'd do any deal that's semi reasonable that DOESNT involve us not having the 12th pick anymore. I want to keep that pick for Willis, or to move down and recoup pick(s) we lose for Turner is WIllis isnt there.

We have a lot of options with #12.. We lose them if that's gone.

Turner is the bomb- I'd give up maybe even a slightly more than market value to get him. But not #12.

Comment

Working...
                              X