PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Draft In Retrospect (ESPN Insider)

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 03:03 PM
Buffalo Bills
The Bills' 2004 draft would be considered average but could swing up or down depending on the fortunes of first-round QB J.P. Losman, who became the full-time starter last season and made a huge jump in maturity and production. The jury is still out, because he has not played well enough to be considered a good choice or poorly enough to be considered a bust. Fellow first-round pick Lee Evans has become the team's No. 1 receiver in his third season. Evans filled the void when Eric Moulds departed and caught 82 passes for 1,292 yards last season. Third-round DT Tim Anderson and fourth-round TE Tim Euhus have taken opposite paths, with Anderson becoming a durable, steady player, though not an impact defender, and Euhus, now with Pittsburgh, providing little production or depth. The Bills did not hit on their seventh-round choices; both OT Dylan McFarland and WR Jonathan Smith are no longer in the league.
• In retrospect, what draft grade would you give the Bills?

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 03:04 PM
I would give the Bills a C+ in retrospect.

patmoran2006
04-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Right now a B- and potentially an "A"

We have one of the 5 most talented WR's in the league from this draft. and we have a potential franchise QB who is starting to step up.

I"ll take two franchise players over 5-6 decent ones anyday

ddaryl
04-05-2007, 03:09 PM
If JP continues to get better then Evans and JP alone would make this an A draft IMO.

Evans is a bonafide stud, so the jury is still out on JP. Anderson is a depth DT on a team weak at DT

mikemac2001
04-05-2007, 03:46 PM
B

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 03:47 PM
B
If J.P. can keep improving then hell yes.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 04:10 PM
For NE39

New England Patriots
The Patriots had an above-average draft in 2004 with four first-day picks, including NT Vince Wilfork and TE Benjamin Watson in the first round. Wilfork has been a durable force in the middle against the run, and Watson stepped up in 2006 as the second-leading receiver for the Patriots and brings great versatility to the position. The other first-day picks didn't pan out quite as well, though. Second-round DE Marquise Hill was active for only four games in 2006. He has been banged up some and is still very raw. Third-round S Guss Scott is out of the league. Fourth-round S Dexter Reid is out of the league, and fourth-round RB Cedric Cobbs has been a career backup now with the Denver Broncos. Seventh-round CB Christian Morton also has been a career backup, currently with the Carolina Panthers. The Patriots did hit on their two first-round picks but did little else in the rest of the draft.
• In retrospect, what draft grade would you give the Patriots?

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 04:13 PM
San Diego Chargers
The 2004 draft started with a bang for the Chargers, who drafted QB Eli Manning with the first overall selection despite Manning and his family having no interest in going to San Diego. In a bold move, first-year GM A.J. Smith was able to swing a trade that sent Manning to the New York Giants and brought Philip Rivers to San Diego. It would be the first of many great moves by Smith. The Chargers selected 11 players in the 2004 draft, and six are starters. Rivers is one of the best young quarterbacks in the NFL. DE Igor Olshansky (second round) is one of the most underrated defensive ends in the NFL and is a great fit in the Chargers' 3-4 defense. PK Nate Kaeding (third round) is one of the best in the NFL. C Nick Hardwick (third round) anchors one of the best offensive lines in the NFL, and OLB Shaun Phillips (fourth round) has amassed 22.5 sacks in three years, including 11.5 last season, his first as a starter. RB Michael Turner (fifth round) has been a nice complement to starter LaDainian Tomlinson. OT Shane Olivea, one of three seventh-round picks, has been a starter since the moment he arrived and has been signed to a long-term extension. Overall, this was an excellent class, producing a franchise-caliber quarterback and a solid group of starters in Smith's first draft and helping build the talented team the Chargers have become.
• In retrospect, what draft grade would you give the Chargers?

Holy **** that was a good draft. One of the best ever?

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 04:16 PM
For Bling :snicker:

Miami Dolphins
The Dolphins had a below-average 2004 draft. Their only first-day pick was first-round OT Vernon Carey, who has been a durable and productive player. He played right tackle in 2006 and has shown enough athleticism and effectiveness that the new coaching staff is considering moving him to the left side. However, his success is offset by the fact the Dolphins did not have picks in the second or third rounds, and fourth-round CB Will Poole and fifth-round LB Tony Bua already are out of the league. Miami did find a starter in the sixth round in center Rex Hadnot, who has been a durable and effective player for the middle of the Miami offensive line. Two seventh-round picks that have had little impact. OT Tony Pape has been off and on practice squads and has not provided even effective depth to a team. LB Derrick Pope has good speed and is a solid hitter but has been primarily a special teams contributor.
• In retrospect, what draft grade would you give the Dolphins?

Sportsuser101
04-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Holy **** that was a good draft. One of the best ever?

Well they did have the #1 overall pick but yeah a very good draft and it doesn't even mention that they got Merriman in a trade from the Giants that year and also traded the 5th round pick they got from the Giants for Oben who was a stud for them for 2 years at LT.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Well they did have the #1 overall pick but yeah a very good draft and it doesn't even mention that they got Merriman in a trade from the Giants that year and also traded the 5th round pick they got from the Giants for Oben who was a stud for them for 2 years at LT.
True but think of all the teams that have had that number one pick and ruined it.

Sportsuser101
04-05-2007, 05:19 PM
True but think of all the teams that have had that number one pick and ruined it.

True. I'm not questioning how good their drat is I'm just saying that it wasn't like they were picking in the 2nd half of the draft. Bears and Jets both had good drafts too but were in the upper half of the draft as well. Overall it doesn't look like it was a strong draft so far but its way too early.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 05:23 PM
True. I'm not questioning how good their drat is I'm just saying that it wasn't like they were picking in the 2nd half of the draft. Bears and Jets both had good drafts too but were in the upper half of the draft as well. Overall it doesn't look like it was a strong draft so far but its way too early.
Good call on the Bears

Chicago Bears
GM Jerry Angelo's philosophy of building a dominating defense was evident during the 2004 draft, as the Bears selected six defensive players with their eight selections, including two who were selected to the Pro Bowl. First-round DT Tommie Harris is a force on the interior, and with second-round DT Tank Johnson becoming a starter, the defensive tackle rotation is a position of strength for Chicago. WR Bernard Berrian (third round) added a vertical threat to the Bears' offense. Fourth-round CB Nathan Vasher has made the Pro Bowl, and fourth-round LB Leon Joe has provided athletic linebacker depth and is a special teams star. Two Pro Bowl players, four starters and a special-teams stalwart make the Bears' 2004 draft class a special one.
• In retrospect, what draft grade would you give the Bears?

Mr. Pink
04-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Where is the Browns for me? lol

Sportsuser101
04-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Yeah I was actually 1 of the guys who wanted the Bills to draft Harris. Not that I'm not happy with Evans but at the time I wanted to try and build a strong defense and worry about offense later. I also wanted to draft Schaub in the 3rd instead of trying to trade up for Losman if he was there. Either way I still like the way our draft ended up.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Do you really want to see it? :D

Cleveland Browns
Despite his injury problems, it's hard to argue with the Browns' selection of Kellen Winslow (No. 6 overall) in Butch Davis' final draft as Cleveland's head coach. Winslow showed last season what a great player he can become. If he can stay healthy and fully recover, he quickly will rank among the very best tight ends in the NFL. Second-round SS Sean Jones, who also missed significant time at the beginning of his career with a serious knee injury, is healthy now and had an outstanding 2006 season. He is the thumper coach Romeo Crennel needs at strong safety (think Rodney Harrison) in Cleveland's 3-4 defense. While it's hard to criticize a draft class that eventually should net two Pro Bowl players, the Browns got next to nothing from this draft class after Winslow and Jones. Sixth-round OT Kirk Chambers has seen some action, but that was more a result of the awful talent base along Cleveland's offensive line than his own ability. QB Luke McCown (fourth round) also briefly saw the field, but he looked like a deer in headlights and now risks falling out of the league. After the top two rounds, the Browns have little to brag about. They also sacrificed a second-round pick to move up just one spot (seventh overall to sixth) to select Winslow, which might not have been worth it for a team with many needs.
• In retrospect, what draft grade would you give the Browns?

Sportsuser101
04-05-2007, 05:30 PM

Winslow is finally healthy and looks good. Jones I like but he also has/had health problems. Thought McCown was a good pick at the time but looks like nothing. I would say a C and thats if Winslow and Jones can stay healthy.

Mr. Pink
04-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Do you really want to see it?

Sure why not! I'll get me one of them bags handy beforehand!

Botch Davis wasn't good at handling the draft.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Winslow is finally healthy and looks good. Jones I like but he also has/had health problems. Thought McCown was a good pick at the time but looks like nothing. I would say a C and thats if Winslow and Jones can stay healthy.
You my friend need a new avatar.

Sportsuser101
04-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Yeah I remember them trading up to get Winslow. 1 spot for a 2nd round pick? That draft was doomed from the start.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah I remember them trading up to get Winslow. 1 spot for a 2nd round pick? That draft was doomed from the start.
:bf1:

Mr. Pink
04-05-2007, 05:33 PM
I remember that draft...The only move that Matt Millen has done right in his career at a GM was robbing Botch Davis of a pick that he never had to give up, seeing the Lions weren't taking KII anyways.

YardRat
04-05-2007, 05:35 PM

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tableclmhdr colSpan=5>2004</TD></TR><TR><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>1.06</TD><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>TE</TD><TD class=sort1 noWrap bgColor=#ffffff> Kellen Winslow (http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerprofile.php?PlayerID=3063)</TD><TD class=sort1 bgColor=#ffffff> Miami</TD><TD class=sort1 bgColor=#ffffff>from DET; trade draft pick 2004 1.07 and 2004 2.05</TD></TR><TR><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>2.27</TD><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>DB</TD><TD class=sort1 noWrap bgColor=#ffffff> Sean Jones (http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerprofile.php?PlayerID=7952)</TD><TD class=sort1 bgColor=#ffffff> Georgia</TD><TD class=sort1 bgColor=#ffffff>from IND; trade draft pick 2004 3.05, 5.09 and 6.08 plus rec'd draft pick 2004 5.29</TD></TR><TR><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>4.10</TD><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>QB</TD><TD class=sort1 noWrap bgColor=#ffffff> Luke McCown (http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerprofile.php?PlayerID=3104)</TD><TD class=sort1 bgColor=#ffffff> Louisiana Tech</TD><TD class=sort1 bgColor=#ffffff> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>5.29</TD><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>DT</TD><TD class=sort1 noWrap bgColor=#ffffff> Amon Gordon (http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerprofile.php?PlayerID=8013)</TD><TD class=sort1 bgColor=#ffffff> Stanford</TD><TD class=sort1 bgColor=#ffffff>from IND; trade draft pick 2004 3.05, 5.09 and 6.08 plus rec'd draft pick 2004 2.27</TD></TR><TR><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>6.11</TD><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>OG</TD><TD class=sort1 noWrap bgColor=#ffffff> Kirk Chambers</TD><TD class=sort1 bgColor=#ffffff> Stanford</TD><TD class=sort1 bgColor=#ffffff>from BUF; compensation TE Mark Campbell (2003)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>7.07</TD><TD class=sort1 align=middle bgColor=#ffffff>RB</TD><TD class=sort1 noWrap bgColor=#ffffff> Adimchinobe Echemandu (http://www.fftoday.com/stats/playerprofile.php?PlayerID=3137)</TD><TD class=sort1 bgColor=#ffffff> California</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Not so hot, FTY.

justasportsfan
04-05-2007, 05:52 PM
For Bling :snicker:

I think the fins gave up a 3rd to move up one spot to grab Carey . One of the dumbest move in draft history.

I miss Wanny and now I'm missing Saban. :sigh:

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 05:54 PM
I think the fins gave up a 3rd to move up one spot to grab Carey . One of the dumbest move in draft history.

I miss Wanny and now I'm missing Saban. :sigh:
Hey at least Wanny could beat us. Saban was always our *****.