X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LtBillsFan66
    • Jul 2002

Since when in the hell are RBs a dime a dozen

I've read this WAY too much on this board.
  • X-Era
    What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
    • Feb 2005

Re: Since when in the hell are RBs a dime a dozen

Originally posted by billsfanone
    I've read this WAY too much on this board.
    Since people assume moves like letting Ahman Green go, letting Edge go means no one thinks they are that important.

Its just not true.

Having a top 5 RB year in and year out is NOT as easy as grabbing whatever retread is available in free agency.

Grabbing whatever retread in free agency or via trade is a way to get just about 1000 yards. Im sorry, but I dont think thats good enough. Its not even 100 YPG, its 62.5.

If we had a RB averaging 62.5 YPG, you mean to tell me that people here wont be *****ing? Nice flippin try. But thats what you get with the dime a dozen concept.

However, I think you may be using this to argue Turner is worth trading a bunch for. I disagree, I think Turner is likely to get you 1000 yards and be a "dime a dozen" type player, I want more.

The reason teams draft RB's in the 1st is they think they will become much much more. Lynch could be that.

The key that many forget here is that the reason they are drafted in the 1st is based on LIKELYHOOD of success. Its playing a game of probability. Its the assumption that they rate that high because they have the greatest chance to be great.

Therefore, saying they are a dime a dozen is a simple way of denouncing the method of rating draftees. Its to say that you can easily get a stud in later rounds. Well, the teams dont agree because thats why they rate prospects, and thats why they keep drafting them in the 1st round.

No, I agree some players are a dime a dozen, but at RB I think we should adopt the saying, "you get what you draft for", or pay for for that matter.

Turner is no better than A-Train to me. I dont see much upside. I think he is what he is and hes simply a hot name right now because the draft isnt here yet.

I say wait. Hes not going anywhere. Let the chips fall at the draft and evaluate the propects available at 12 vs. Turner, then make your move.

I think Lynch or maybe even Peterson is likely and makes more sense due to potential and youth.

RB is one of the few positions where mileage matters the most. Therefore, youth is better for long term success.

Comment

• LtFinFan66
      • Mar 2005

Very good question indeed BF1

Comment

• dannyek71
        Drink Responsibly
        • Dec 2004

outside of about 5 teams in the league, no team has a "bad" rb
        [

Comment

• kgun12
          • Jul 2002

It means you can get a good RB in any round of the draft! T. Thomas in the 2nd, Terrell Davis late in the 7th round. There are many examples of this, and it is even more true in this watered down version of the NFL. By this I mean in the old NFL (pre free agency), it would take a draft choice 2-4 years to make an impact on a team, because teams could stock pile good players. Now rookies have to come in and produce. It has ALWAYS been true, you get a good line ie. Denvers and supporting cast, and any running back will do well. That's why for about 6 years in Denver no matter who run the ball they got 1000+ yards. Same for N.E, S.D (LT and Tuners 6.0 yards per carry Dallas, Jags, KC, Buffalo during the SB runs. Did you notice how the production of Seattle's running game went down this year, yes Alexander got hurt, but they didn't run the ball as well cause the lost 2/5 of the SB O-line. So yes, give me a good line and supporting cast and RB's are a dime a dozen!
          Retired Air Traffic Controller
          USAF VETERAN
          DAV

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
            • Jul 2002

I guess becasue of Joe Montana and Tom Brady you can say QBs are a dime a dozen too. What BS!

Comment

• Philagape
              WIN NOW
              • Jul 2002

How many Tom Bradys have there been?
              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• kgun12
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsfanone
                I guess becasue of Joe Montana and Tom Brady you can say QBs are a dime a dozen too. What BS!
                You are entitled to your opinion and so am I, for every good 1st round back, there are equal or better numbers to support a later rounder just as good. BTW I would never take a QB in the first round either. They are the biggest risk/reward there is. More good Qb come out of the later rounds then the 1st. The 2 guys you talk about are great examples! It's like 68% of all first round QB's are busts.
                USAF VETERAN
                DAV

Comment

• X-Era
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                  How many Tom Bradys have there been?
                  How many LT's again?

RB is no better or worse than any other positions. I think the issue lies around needing a really good one, since there most often only one. Theres less support to back you up.

LB's almost always play in a group, as does DL, as does OL. One can cover for another.

But your asking one guy to get through 3 or 4 D-linemen that weight half again as much as he does, then get through LB's, and then get through DB's that can run as fast as he can.

Unfortunately, the need for a stud athlete becomes more neccessary when your running them through the guantlet like that.

No, there may be dozens worth dimes, but very few are worth gold and thats what this team needs.

1000 yards is average, we shouldnt be shooting for average, all the other aspects of our game would have to compensate to make us great.

Get the best one you can, thats probably not SD's backup.

Comment

• X-Era
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by kgun12
                    You are entitled to your opinion and so am I, for every good 1st round back, there are equal or better numbers to support a later rounder just as good. BTW I would never take a QB in the first round either. They are the biggest risk/reward there is. More good Qb come out of the later rounds then the 1st. The 2 guys you talk about are great examples! It's like 68% of all first round QB's are busts.
                    Im sorry but if your going to try to tell me that your just as likely in the 7th round to get a great one as you are in the 1st your nuts and the stats wont back you.

Reggie Bush, Shaun Alexander, LT

You find me any 3 7th rounders that are as good that play right now, hell I will give you ANY other round or even ALL other rounds combined. You might, I say, MIGHT be able to find 3 other current RB's as good from any round other than the 1st.

No, the stats dont back this guys.

It may be that 50% or even more than 50% are busts, but I think the percentage gets worse not better as you get farther from the 1st round.

Comment

• lightningbolt444
                      • Mar 2007

peyton and tom at qb. Now running back Lt is the best everyone knows that but after that LJ, Shaun Alexander, Frank Gore, The Edge, Healthy Clinton Portis , Bryan Westbrook, hell even Reggie Bush see the difference. Running Backs have and always will be an expendable position on ANY football team. Sure some are more talented than others but look what belicheck says The running game is a team game -- everyone contributes," says Belichick, whose Patriots currently stand with the league's sixth-best rushing yard total per game (139.0). New England's attack is led by rookie rusher Laurence Maroney, who tops the team and all NFL rookies with 332 yards on the ground. "That's what a good running game is, and what a good running team does -- you execute the play in its entirety," says Belichick. "It extends to all 11 guys on the field. The running game is a team play."

And now look at these facts about running backs over the past few years they have become Expendable to say the least
                      •Since the advent of the 16-game schedule in 1978, five of the past six years register in the eight highest yards-per-carry season averages.
                      •NFL rushers have recorded 32 200-yard rushing games since 2000 (1,520 games played) compared to 39 such single-game outbursts from 1980-99 (4,456 games).
                      •Since 2000, there has been an average of .56 1,000-yard rushers per NFL team compared to .44 from 1980-99, excluding the shortened seasons of 1982 and 1987.
                      •Since 2000, running backs have rushed for 1,500 yards in a season 25 times compared to 33 such performances in the previous 18 full seasons.

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jp-era
                        How many LT's again?

RB is no better or worse than any other positions. I think the issue lies around needing a really good one, since there most often only one. Theres less support to back you up.

LB's almost always play in a group, as does DL, as does OL. One can cover for another.

But your asking one guy to get through 3 or 4 D-linemen that weight half again as much as he does, then get through LB's, and then get through DB's that can run as fast as he can.

Unfortunately, the need for a stud athlete becomes more neccessary when your running them through the guantlet like that.

No, there may be dozens worth dimes, but very few are worth gold and thats what this team needs.

1000 yards is average, we shouldnt be shooting for average, all the other aspects of our game would have to compensate to make us great.

Get the best one you can, thats probably not SD's backup.
                        Less support?

Um, you do realize a RB has five 300-poundish guys and sometimes a FB and TE helping him right?
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• kgun12
                          • Jul 2002

I think this explains my view on this subject. This is a draft history of the 1st round from 1995-2004

CBS Sports features live scoring, news, stats, and player info for NFL football, MLB baseball, NBA basketball, NHL hockey, college basketball and football.

or this one is the 1995 complete draft, note that Terrell Davis was taken at 197 and look at the 4 RB taken in the 1st round.

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

The draft is a crap shoot plain and simple, this is why I wouldn't have any problem giving up a 2nd for Turner or Briggs.
                          USAF VETERAN
                          DAV

Comment

• Bling
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by lightningbolt444
                            peyton and tom at qb. Now running back Lt is the best everyone knows that but after that LJ, Shaun Alexander, Frank Gore, The Edge, Healthy Clinton Portis , Bryan Westbrook, hell even Reggie Bush see the difference.
                            Ronnie Brown.

Comment

• X-Era
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
                              Im sorry but if your going to try to tell me that your just as likely in the 7th round to get a great one as you are in the 1st your nuts and the stats wont back you.

Reggie Bush, Shaun Alexander, LT

You find me any 3 7th rounders that are as good that play right now, hell I will give you ANY other round or even ALL other rounds combined. You might, I say, MIGHT be able to find 3 other current RB's as good from any round other than the 1st.

No, the stats dont back this guys.

It may be that 50% or even more than 50% are busts, but I think the percentage gets worse not better as you get farther from the 1st round.
                              Top 5 rushers last season:

Tomlinson- 1st round
                              Johnson- 1st round
                              Gore- 3rd round
                              Barber- 2nd round
                              Jackson- 1st round

So 3 of the top 5 rushers were 1st rounders, 2 came from later rounds, NONE from day two.

Comment

Working...
                              X