PDA

View Full Version : Weighing Options...

RedEyE
04-05-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm guessing the majority of this board is leaning towards signing Michael Turner, and I for one would not at all be disappointed to see him in a Bills uniform, but at what price?

Hear me out:

As others have already mentioned, giving up a 1st and a 3rd is preposterous and absurd. It's pure team desperation that has him valued that high. And again, giving up more then what we received for Willis McGahee, or what the Jets gave for Jones seems even more preposterous.

Does he have talent? Yes. Does he have potential? Yes. And he even comes packaged with an added level of professional experience. However, for the price the Bills will have to pay to trade for this guy, the Bills may instead want to consider taking that package and waving it under the noses of one, or even several, of the top 5 teams in the upcoming draft. For what the Bills might have to give up to grab a back up RB, they could use the same formula to move up in the draft and grab Adrian Peterson.

I know what some of you will say: "Why take a chance on unproven rookie talent when you have an experienced back like Turner?" Well, my answer to you is a biased one but also one that is rather simple.

Peterson is a "play maker". A guy that can cut through traffic on a dime and see the whole field in an instance. He makes solid on field decisions and has burst to remove himself from trouble when necessary.

Turner marches through traffic and prefers to grind his way through you, rather than "Barry Sanders" his way around the pile. While Turner might get you that extra yard that grabs you a first down, Peterson has more ability to find the endzone in the same exact position.

Noticably, they both have very strong legs and never stop moving forward, creating opportunity at every purging movement. Yet, Peterson can spring away from the tackle where as Turner will have no choice but to continue forward and drive though you.

I guess my point is this: At what cost do you reel in Turner? (retorical)

Peterson and Turner are obviously on different levels of the playing field. Turner will probably grind out 1200-1300 yards in a good year, but Peterson has that special sauce that can bring running back to Buffalo the way it was meant to be played.

If your willing to trade the farm for Turner, you at least owe it to yourself to weigh that package against a valued trade that could land you Adrian Peterson.

Just my thoughts.

Philagape
04-05-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't know if comparing Turner to Peterson straight up is a fair comparison; the only way to get AP is to draft him in the first round, but I don't think the consensus here is to trade our first pick straight up for Turner.

I think the choice is:
-- Draft Peterson and hope for the best at LB
-- Draft a LB first (either Willis at 12 or trade down for another one) and hopefully get Turner for less. Or even settle for a RB in round 2 or 3.

Given the nature of the positions, especially in our defense, what's easier to live with? A lesser LB, or a lesser RB (meaning a lower-round rookie)? If we can get Turner and a starting LB, obviously that's the best-case scenario.

Mitchy moo
04-05-2007, 09:57 PM
I say we give up our first and 3rd to move up in the first to grab AP, I watched the video and seen the kid play, he's looks like a monster.

I like watching monsters in Bills uni's.

X-Era
04-05-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm guessing the majority of this board is leaning towards signing Michael Turner, and I for one would not at all be disappointed to see him in a Bills uniform, but at what price?

Hear me out:

As others have already mentioned, giving up a 1st and a 3rd is preposterous and absurd. It's pure team desperation that has him valued that high. And again, giving up more then what we received for Willis McGahee, or what the Jets gave for Jones seems even more preposterous.

Does he have talent? Yes. Does he have potential? Yes. And he even comes packaged with an added level of professional experience. However, for the price the Bills will have to pay to trade for this guy, the Bills may instead want to consider taking that package and waving it under the noses of one, or even several, of the top 5 teams in the upcoming draft. For what the Bills might have to give up to grab a back up RB, they could use the same formula to move up in the draft and grab Adrian Peterson.

I know what some of you will say: "Why take a chance on unproven rookie talent when you have an experienced back like Turner?" Well, my answer to you is a biased one but also one that is rather simple.

Peterson is a "play maker". A guy that can cut through traffic on a dime and see the whole field in an instance. He makes solid on field decisions and has burst to remove himself from trouble when necessary.

Turner marches through traffic and prefers to grind his way through you, rather than "Barry Sanders" his way around the pile. While Turner might get you that extra yard that grabs you a first down, Peterson has more ability to find the endzone in the same exact position.

Noticably, they both have very strong legs and never stop moving forward, creating opportunity at every purging movement. Yet, Peterson can spring away from the tackle where as Turner will have no choice but to continue forward and drive though you.

I guess my point is this: At what cost do you reel in Turner? (retorical)

Peterson and Turner are obviously on different levels of the playing field. Turner will probably grind out 1200-1300 yards in a good year, but Peterson has that special sauce that can bring running back to Buffalo the way it was meant to be played.

If your willing to trade the farm for Turner, you at least owe it to yourself to weigh that package against a valued trade that could land you Adrian Peterson.

Just my thoughts.

It makes sense. The injury issue is the question.

gr8slayer
04-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Turner is more of a lock than any draft pick at this point.

Philagape
04-05-2007, 10:14 PM

Certainly no more a risk than any rookie

Michael82
04-05-2007, 10:28 PM
It makes sense. The injury issue is the question.
it's a HUGE question.

Michael82
04-05-2007, 10:28 PM
agreed.