PDA

View Full Version : What is so great about drafting a stud RB in the 1st round?

Michael82
04-05-2007, 10:17 PM
I have been reading soo many posts clamouring for the Bills to draft Adrian Peterson and/or Marshawn Lynch in the first round and I decided I would do some research and see what 1st round RBs have done lately. It's all a crapshoot IMO and that's why I would rather get a guy like Willis or trade down and get one of the OLBs. Check this out.....

2000 Draft
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=left>Jamal Lewis</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Tennessee</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=left>Thomas Jones</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Virginia</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=left>Ron Dayne</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Wisconsin</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=left>Shaun Alexander</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Alabama</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>31</TD><TD align=left>Trung Canidate</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Arizona
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
- yeah Jamal Lewis and Shaun Alexander are pretty damn good and Thomas Jones has looked good at times. But the rest is crap!

2001 Draft
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=left>LaDainian Tomlinson</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Texas Christian</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=left>Deuce McAllister</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Mississippi</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=left>Michael Bennett</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Wisconsin</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
- This was actually a pretty good pair. LT is awesome and Deuce has been a very good RB for the Saints. Bennett sucks. Keep in mind that Travis Henry and LaMont Jordan were available in the 2nd round. And get this, Rudi Johnson was a 4th rounder!

2002 Draft
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>16</TD><TD align=left>William Green</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Boston College</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>18</TD><TD align=left>T.J. Duckett</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Michigan State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
- :rofl: Who wants these guys? :ill: DaShaun Foster and Clinton Portis were 2nd rounders, Brian Westbrook was a 3rd. Chester Taylor was a 6th round pick!

2003 Draft
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=left>Willis McGahee</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Miami</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=left>Larry Johnson</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Penn State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
- Not bad! The Bills took a risk on McGahee, but Larry Johnson has turned out to be a stud for the Chiefs! The rest of the draft was crap for RBs.

2004 Draft
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=left>Steven Jackson</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Oregon State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>26</TD><TD align=left>Chris Perry</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Michigan</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>30</TD><TD align=left>Kevin Jones</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Virginia Tech</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
- So far, Steven Jackson is the only one that has stood out. He's been a pretty damn good RB for the Rams. Perry has been a backup and Jones has been injured every year. Tatum Bell and Julius Jones were both 2nd rounders. Michael Turner was in the 5th round.

2005 Draft
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=left>Ronnie Brown</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Auburn</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=left>Cedric Benson</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Texas</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=left>Carnell Williams</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Auburn</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>- We can't judge this too much, but Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams have looked pretty good when they are healthy. Benson is just getting his chance now. Frank Gore was the best of this draft so far and he's a 3rd rounder!

2006 Draft
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=left>Reggie Bush</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Southern California</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>21</TD><TD align=left>Laurence Maroney</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Minnesota</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=left>DeAngelo Williams</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Memphis</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>30</TD><TD align=left>Joseph Addai</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Louisiana State</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
- This draft is too new to comment on, but so far it looks pretty damn good. Reggie Bush was great last year and should have been the rookie of the year. Maroney is not the main back in NE and should easily get 1,200 yards. Addai stepped up and took over at times for the Colts and is now the only starter. Williams looked good to me when given a chance. Keep in mind that the best RB of this draft may have been a 2nd rounder - Maurice Jones-Drew. Leon Washington also looked good for the Jets and was drafted in the 4th round.

BILLSROCK1212
04-05-2007, 10:19 PM
is Trung Candidate retired?

Michael82
04-05-2007, 10:25 PM

either that or working at McDonalds. :funny:

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-05-2007, 10:46 PM
I am not trying to discount you, but let us look at the best running backs in those drafts:

Jamal Lewis - 1st Round

Ladanian Thomlinson - 1st Round

Clinton Portis - 2nd Round

Larry Johnson - 1st Round

Steven Jackson - 1st Round
(Debatable)

To early to tell, maybe it will be one of those 1st rounders or Frank Gore - 3rd round.

Michael82
04-05-2007, 10:46 PM
bump for kgun12! This is a huge example for what you were talking about. 22 first round RB's and only about half of them are really good.

Michael82
04-05-2007, 10:48 PM
I am not trying to discount you, but let us look at the best running backs in those drafts:

Jamal Lewis - 1st Round

Ladanian Thomlinson - 1st Round

Clinton Portis - 2nd Round

Larry Johnson - 1st Round

Steven Jackson - 1st Round
(Debatable)

To early to tell, maybe it will be one of those 1st rounders or Frank Gore - 3rd round.

yes, but there were 22 of them drafted in the first round and only 10 or so really stand out.

Mitchy moo
04-05-2007, 10:56 PM
~50 / 50 odds??

JJamezz
04-05-2007, 11:00 PM
If you went through the 1st rounders at any position you'd find the same thing

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-05-2007, 11:04 PM
How about the playoff teams starting running back:

San Diego Chargers - LT - 1st Round
Baltimore Ravens - J. Lewis - 1st Round
Indianapolis - split Rhodes - Addai - Undrafted F/A - 1st Round
New England - Dillon - Maroney - 2nd Round - 1st Round
NY Jets - Leon Washington - Cedric Houston - 4th Round - 6th Round
Kansas City - Larry Johnson - 1st Round

Chicago Bears - Thomas Jones - Cedric Benson - 1st Round - 1st Round
New Orleans Saints - McCallister - Bush - 1st Round - 1st Round
Philadelphia Eagles - Westbrook - 3rd Round
Seattle Seahawks - Alexander - 1st Round
Dallas Cowboys - Julius Jones - Marion Barber - 2nd Round - 4th Round
NY Giants - Tiki Barber - 2nd Round

A lot of 1st or 2nd round picks there.

kgun12
04-05-2007, 11:13 PM
bump for kgun12! This is a huge example for what you were talking about. 22 first round RB's and only about half of them are really good.

Thanks Mikey, but I am suprized there where that many. I guess it goes back to what I said in the other thread about the league being watered down! Again if you look at the draft from 1995-2004, RB's didn't pan out as well!

http://www.cstv.com/genrel/040805aaa.html

Michael82
04-05-2007, 11:40 PM
Thanks Mikey, but I am suprized there where that many. I guess it goes back to what I said in the other thread about the league being watered down! Again if you look at the draft from 1995-2004, RB's didn't pan out as well!

http://www.cstv.com/genrel/040805aaa.html
yeah, it does go back to the fact that it's watered down.

Tatonka
04-06-2007, 12:08 AM

i bet that goes for any position.. hell.. i bet that is better than most positions..

i bet less than half of the wrs are "good". i know less than half the qbs are "good".

Crisis
04-06-2007, 12:08 AM
I hate when people point to late-round picks being able to fill needs like that...I'd bet that more players don't amount to anything in later rounds than ones who actually do have an impact.

You can't point out all the late-round impact players without showing all the crappy players taken too...all I'm saying, sure, you could draft Turner in the 5th, but you could also end up with the Lionel Gates of the world.

justasportsfan
04-06-2007, 07:33 AM
If you went through the 1st rounders at any position you'd find the same thing
we have a winner.

Ickybaluky
04-06-2007, 07:49 AM

Yes, he is out of the NFL. Candidate may have been fast, but he was a track guy and a soft player. He got most of his yards on delays and draws, and was useless otherwise. He didn't like getting hit, was a terrible blocker in blitz pickup and fumbled a lot. The guy could run like a deer, but he sucked.

Washington picked him up because they thought he would be a good fit in Steve Spurrier's wide-open offense, and he hurt his foot late in 2003. When Gibbs got there the next season he wasn't fully recovered from the foot injury, and Gibbs felt he didn't have the toughness the RB in his offense needed. He was dumped and has been out of the NFL since.

X-Era
04-06-2007, 07:54 AM
I have been reading soo many posts clamouring for the Bills to draft Adrian Peterson and/or Marshawn Lynch in the first round and I decided I would do some research and see what 1st round RBs have done lately. It's all a crapshoot IMO and that's why I would rather get a guy like Willis or trade down and get one of the OLBs. Check this out.....

2000 Draft
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">5</td><td align="left">Jamal Lewis</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Tennessee</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">7</td><td align="left">Thomas Jones</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Virginia</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">11</td><td align="left">Ron Dayne</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Wisconsin</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">19</td><td align="left">Shaun Alexander</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Alabama</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">31</td><td align="left">Trung Canidate</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Arizona
</td></tr></tbody></table>
- yeah Jamal Lewis and Shaun Alexander are pretty damn good and Thomas Jones has looked good at times. But the rest is crap!

2001 Draft
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">5</td><td align="left">LaDainian Tomlinson</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Texas Christian</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">23</td><td align="left">Deuce McAllister</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Mississippi</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">27</td><td align="left">Michael Bennett</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Wisconsin</td></tr></tbody></table>
- This was actually a pretty good pair. LT is awesome and Deuce has been a very good RB for the Saints. Bennett sucks. Keep in mind that Travis Henry and LaMont Jordan were available in the 2nd round. And get this, Rudi Johnson was a 4th rounder!

2002 Draft
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">16</td><td align="left">William Green</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Boston College</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">18</td><td align="left">T.J. Duckett</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Michigan State</td></tr></tbody></table>
- :rofl: Who wants these guys? :ill: DaShaun Foster and Clinton Portis were 2nd rounders, Brian Westbrook was a 3rd. Chester Taylor was a 6th round pick!

2003 Draft
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">23</td><td align="left">Willis McGahee</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Miami</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">27</td><td align="left">Larry Johnson</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Penn State</td></tr></tbody></table>
- Not bad! The Bills took a risk on McGahee, but Larry Johnson has turned out to be a stud for the Chiefs! The rest of the draft was crap for RBs.

2004 Draft
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">24</td><td align="left">Steven Jackson</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Oregon State</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">26</td><td align="left">Chris Perry</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Michigan</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">30</td><td align="left">Kevin Jones</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Virginia Tech</td></tr></tbody></table>
- So far, Steven Jackson is the only one that has stood out. He's been a pretty damn good RB for the Rams. Perry has been a backup and Jones has been injured every year. Tatum Bell and Julius Jones were both 2nd rounders. Michael Turner was in the 5th round.

2005 Draft
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">2</td><td align="left">Ronnie Brown</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Auburn</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">4</td><td align="left">Cedric Benson</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Texas</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">5</td><td align="left">Carnell Williams</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Auburn</td></tr></tbody></table>- We can't judge this too much, but Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams have looked pretty good when they are healthy. Benson is just getting his chance now. Frank Gore was the best of this draft so far and he's a 3rd rounder!

2006 Draft
<table border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">2</td><td align="left">Reggie Bush</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Southern California</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">21</td><td align="left">Laurence Maroney</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Minnesota</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">27</td><td align="left">DeAngelo Williams</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Memphis</td></tr><tr class="bg2" align="right" height="17" valign="center"><td align="left">1</td><td align="right">30</td><td align="left">Joseph Addai</td><td align="left">RB</td><td align="left">Louisiana State</td></tr></tbody></table>
- This draft is too new to comment on, but so far it looks pretty damn good. Reggie Bush was great last year and should have been the rookie of the year. Maroney is not the main back in NE and should easily get 1,200 yards. Addai stepped up and took over at times for the Colts and is now the only starter. Williams looked good to me when given a chance. Keep in mind that the best RB of this draft may have been a 2nd rounder - Maurice Jones-Drew. Leon Washington also looked good for the Jets and was drafted in the 4th round.

5 of the last 7 superbowl winning teams had 1st round RB's as starters.

gr8slayer
04-06-2007, 08:25 AM
In that case, what's so great about drafting anyone in the first round?

Dr. Lecter
04-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Do you have any stats on how successful back-up RB's acquired in a trade are?

Philagape
04-06-2007, 08:49 AM
5 of the last 7 superbowl winning teams had 1st round RB's as starters.

Four. Parker, Dillon and Pittman were not. And Antowain Smith didn't play like one.

And of course, you stop at seven because the next ones are Terrell Davis twice (sixth round) and Dorsey Levens/Edgar Bennett (fifth/fourth round). If you go through SB history, you'll find a similar mix.

Mixed results = not essential.

Ickybaluky
04-25-2007, 07:36 PM

You must be clairvoyant, because he is back on the radar.

The Dallas Cowboys are working him out tomorrow, per the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram (http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/80232.html). Apparently he wants to make a comeback. He just turned 30 years old.

The Cowboys plan to bring in former St. Louis Rams running back Trung Canidate today for a workout Thursday.

Canidate, drafted 31st overall by the Rams in 2000, has been out of football since 2003 because of a foot injury.

He is now healthy and trying to make a comeback. According to a source, the Cowboys view his workout as more of a look-see, but if Canidate is impressive he could get an invitation to training camp.