What is so great about drafting a stud RB in the 1st round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

What is so great about drafting a stud RB in the 1st round?

I have been reading soo many posts clamouring for the Bills to draft Adrian Peterson and/or Marshawn Lynch in the first round and I decided I would do some research and see what 1st round RBs have done lately. It's all a crapshoot IMO and that's why I would rather get a guy like Willis or trade down and get one of the OLBs. Check this out.....

2000 Draft
    15Jamal LewisRBTennessee
    17Thomas JonesRBVirginia
    111Ron DayneRBWisconsin
    119Shaun AlexanderRBAlabama
    131Trung CanidateRBArizona

- yeah Jamal Lewis and Shaun Alexander are pretty damn good and Thomas Jones has looked good at times. But the rest is crap!

2001 Draft
    15LaDainian TomlinsonRBTexas Christian
    123Deuce McAllisterRBMississippi
    127Michael BennettRBWisconsin

- This was actually a pretty good pair. LT is awesome and Deuce has been a very good RB for the Saints. Bennett sucks. Keep in mind that Travis Henry and LaMont Jordan were available in the 2nd round. And get this, Rudi Johnson was a 4th rounder!

2002 Draft
    116William GreenRBBoston College
    118T.J. DuckettRBMichigan State

- Who wants these guys? DaShaun Foster and Clinton Portis were 2nd rounders, Brian Westbrook was a 3rd. Chester Taylor was a 6th round pick!

2003 Draft
    123Willis McGaheeRBMiami
    127Larry JohnsonRBPenn State

- Not bad! The Bills took a risk on McGahee, but Larry Johnson has turned out to be a stud for the Chiefs! The rest of the draft was crap for RBs.

2004 Draft
    124Steven JacksonRBOregon State
    126Chris PerryRBMichigan
    130Kevin JonesRBVirginia Tech

- So far, Steven Jackson is the only one that has stood out. He's been a pretty damn good RB for the Rams. Perry has been a backup and Jones has been injured every year. Tatum Bell and Julius Jones were both 2nd rounders. Michael Turner was in the 5th round.

2005 Draft
    12Ronnie BrownRBAuburn
    14Cedric BensonRBTexas
    15Carnell WilliamsRBAuburn
    - We can't judge this too much, but Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams have looked pretty good when they are healthy. Benson is just getting his chance now. Frank Gore was the best of this draft so far and he's a 3rd rounder!

2006 Draft
    12Reggie BushRBSouthern California
    121Laurence MaroneyRBMinnesota
    127DeAngelo WilliamsRBMemphis
    130Joseph AddaiRBLouisiana State

- This draft is too new to comment on, but so far it looks pretty damn good. Reggie Bush was great last year and should have been the rookie of the year. Maroney is not the main back in NE and should easily get 1,200 yards. Addai stepped up and took over at times for the Colts and is now the only starter. Williams looked good to me when given a chance. Keep in mind that the best RB of this draft may have been a 2nd rounder - Maurice Jones-Drew. Leon Washington also looked good for the Jets and was drafted in the 4th round.
  • BILLSROCK1212
    !?!?!?!?!?
    • Mar 2006

Re: What is so great about drafting a stud RB in the 1st round?

is Trung Candidate retired?

Comment

• Michael82
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
      either that or working at McDonalds.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
        • May 2003

I am not trying to discount you, but let us look at the best running backs in those drafts:

Jamal Lewis - 1st Round

Ladanian Thomlinson - 1st Round

Clinton Portis - 2nd Round

Larry Johnson - 1st Round

Steven Jackson - 1st Round
        (Debatable)

To early to tell, maybe it will be one of those 1st rounders or Frank Gore - 3rd round.

Comment

• Michael82
          • Jul 2002

bump for kgun12! This is a huge example for what you were talking about. 22 first round RB's and only about half of them are really good.

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
            I am not trying to discount you, but let us look at the best running backs in those drafts:

Jamal Lewis - 1st Round

Ladanian Thomlinson - 1st Round

Clinton Portis - 2nd Round

Larry Johnson - 1st Round

Steven Jackson - 1st Round
            (Debatable)

To early to tell, maybe it will be one of those 1st rounders or Frank Gore - 3rd round.
            yes, but there were 22 of them drafted in the first round and only 10 or so really stand out.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

~50 / 50 odds??

Comment

• JJamezz

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

If you went through the 1st rounders at any position you'd find the same thing

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

How about the playoff teams starting running back:

San Diego Chargers - LT - 1st Round
                  Baltimore Ravens - J. Lewis - 1st Round
                  Indianapolis - split Rhodes - Addai - Undrafted F/A - 1st Round
                  New England - Dillon - Maroney - 2nd Round - 1st Round
                  NY Jets - Leon Washington - Cedric Houston - 4th Round - 6th Round
                  Kansas City - Larry Johnson - 1st Round

Chicago Bears - Thomas Jones - Cedric Benson - 1st Round - 1st Round
                  New Orleans Saints - McCallister - Bush - 1st Round - 1st Round
                  Philadelphia Eagles - Westbrook - 3rd Round
                  Seattle Seahawks - Alexander - 1st Round
                  Dallas Cowboys - Julius Jones - Marion Barber - 2nd Round - 4th Round
                  NY Giants - Tiki Barber - 2nd Round

A lot of 1st or 2nd round picks there.

Comment

• kgun12
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                    bump for kgun12! This is a huge example for what you were talking about. 22 first round RB's and only about half of them are really good.

Thanks Mikey, but I am suprized there where that many. I guess it goes back to what I said in the other thread about the league being watered down! Again if you look at the draft from 1995-2004, RB's didn't pan out as well!

CBS Sports features live scoring, news, stats, and player info for NFL football, MLB baseball, NBA basketball, NHL hockey, college basketball and football.
                    Retired Air Traffic Controller
                    USAF VETERAN
                    DAV

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kgun12
                      Thanks Mikey, but I am suprized there where that many. I guess it goes back to what I said in the other thread about the league being watered down! Again if you look at the draft from 1995-2004, RB's didn't pan out as well!

http://www.cstv.com/genrel/040805aaa.html
                      yeah, it does go back to the fact that it's watered down.

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                        i bet that goes for any position.. hell.. i bet that is better than most positions..

i bet less than half of the wrs are "good". i know less than half the qbs are "good".
                        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Crisis
                          • Aug 2004

I hate when people point to late-round picks being able to fill needs like that...I'd bet that more players don't amount to anything in later rounds than ones who actually do have an impact.

You can't point out all the late-round impact players without showing all the crappy players taken too...all I'm saying, sure, you could draft Turner in the 5th, but you could also end up with the Lionel Gates of the world.
                          Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                          Vanek is Austrian not European
                          Originally posted by Prov401
                          Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                          Originally posted by better days
                          I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by JJamezz
                            If you went through the 1st rounders at any position you'd find the same thing
                            we have a winner.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                              • Jul 2003

Originally posted by BILLSROCK1212
                              Yes, he is out of the NFL. Candidate may have been fast, but he was a track guy and a soft player. He got most of his yards on delays and draws, and was useless otherwise. He didn't like getting hit, was a terrible blocker in blitz pickup and fumbled a lot. The guy could run like a deer, but he sucked.

Washington picked him up because they thought he would be a good fit in Steve Spurrier's wide-open offense, and he hurt his foot late in 2003. When Gibbs got there the next season he wasn't fully recovered from the foot injury, and Gibbs felt he didn't have the toughness the RB in his offense needed. He was dumped and has been out of the NFL since.

Comment

Working...
                              X