X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

New 49ers Stadium Would Bring In $250 Million A Year

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) -- A new stadium for the 49ers football team would create more than 2,200 jobs and generate $249 million each year in new economic activity in Santa Clara County, according to an economic impact study commissioned by the team.

The 49ers called the numbers a "conservative" view of the boost that a 68,000-seat stadium would give to the city of Santa Clara, about 45 miles south of San Francisco, and the surrounding areas.

The report released Wednesday was prepared by the consulting firm Conventions, Sports & Leisure International in Wayzata, Minn. It comes as the 49ers are expected to ask the Santa Clara city council this month to invest about $180 million in public money to help pay for the new facility.

But some economists cautioned the city against expecting a windfall from a new stadium, saying that sports stadium supporters often overestimate the benefits of such an endeavor while underestimating the costs. They also said the report was lacking in key details including local costs such as road wear and car accidents, and information on how many of the jobs would be full- or part-time.

"I would be cautious or wary of any economic study that claims to bring great wealth to any city that builds a stadium for a pro-sports franchise," said Leo Kahane, a professor at California State University, East Bay who edits the Journal of Sports Economics.

The 49ers are considering a move from its aging current stadium in San Francisco. Team officials have balked at Mayor Gavin Newsom's proposal to build the new facility on the former Hunters Point Naval Shipyard, a Superfund toxic waste site. They doubt the site can be cleaned up in time to meet the goal of having a new stadium by the start of the 2012 football season.

The San Jose Mercury News reported that rising construction costs have driven the price of the new stadium to more than $950 million, which would make it the most expensive open-air NFL stadium ever built.
    Come on Ralph. Get on it.
  • T-Long
    Circling the Wagons since 1982.
    • Sep 2003

Re: New 49ers Stadium Would Bring In $250 Million A Year

I hope that deal gets done. I live in Santa Clara County...much shorter drive then an hour north to SF

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by tlong8212
      I hope that deal gets done. I live in Santa Clara County...much shorter drive then an hour north to SF
      It needs to happen in freaking Buffalo.

Comment

• dolphan117
        • Dec 2005

A new stadium for the 49ers football team would create more than 2,200 jobs and generate $249 million each year in new economic activity in Santa Clara County, according to an economic impact study commissioned by the team.
        I am all for building stadiums as the centerpiece for a whole development of hotels restaurants etc to help bring revenue to teams but IMO these numbers are probably too high, which is why I highlighted that part. Its not like the team was going to commission a report that did anything other than say the new stadium would bring in a tone of money.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gr8slayer
          It needs to happen in freaking Buffalo.
          After 10 years you finally are getting the Bass Fishing Outlet. Next the Bridge in 2015, and than the hopefully, in 2025, Golisano's kid can buy the Bills back from LA.

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
            After 10 years you finally are getting the Bass Fishing Outlet. Next the Bridge in 2015, and than the hopefully, in 2025, Golisano's kid can buy the Bills back from LA.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

No chance, at least not anytime soon. It was just announced in the new revenue sharing agreement that if you have built a new stadium or build one soon, you are exempt from the extra revenue sharing.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by tlong8212
                Take your avatar down IMMEDIATELY

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                  Take your avatar down IMMEDIATELY
                  Why? he'll need it once Poz becomes a Bill.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                    Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                    • Jun 2005

POZ POZ POZ POZ!!

Comment

Working...
                    X