• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ickybaluky
    • Jul 2003

PFT: Turner comp less than 1st

Yeah, it is just a rumor site, but they say:

An industry source tells us that the San Diego Chargers might be willing to accept a trade proposal for running back Michael Turner that includes less than a first-round pick.

Though Turner is tendered as a restricted free agent at the highest possible level, which would require compensation in the amount of a first-round pick and a third-round pick, no one is expected to give up that much for a guy who'll be unrestricted in 2008.

Per the source, G.M. A.J. Smith could be ready to accept a second-round pick this year and a second-round pick or a third-round pick in 2008 for Turner's rights.

The thinking is that Smith wants to end up with three picks in the first two rounds of this year's draft, so that the team can fill needs at receiver, safety, linebacker, and guard with guys who are ready to play right now.

Turner has visited the Titans and the Bills this week.
    That sounds about right. They can't really ask a first for the guy unless someone is crazy to offer them that much, but IMO they are better off keeping him than taking less than that.

LINK
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Re: PFT: Turner comp less than 1st

I think I could live with that.
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• gr8slayer
      • Feb 2005

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

2nd this year and a third next year?

I think I can work.. Not too much to give up for him, you take care of your RB situation, and you still have 3-first day picks this month in the draft; including #12.

Another note: Let's say we got Turner and Willis is gone before 12.. We can always trade that pick down to the early 20's.. Still get Beason or someone like that, and maybe recoup that 2nd pick. If Willis was gone, now that would me a major score.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• jdbillsfan
          • Oct 2002

If we did trade our 2nd and 3rd, I would love to trade down to try and aquire more picks. There is going to be a lot of talent in the 2nd round.

Comment

• gr8slayer
            • Feb 2005

Turner in demand
            The interest Turner is starting to sizzle, writes ESPN.com's John Clayton. The restricted free-agent running back had a good visit with the Titans on Tuesday, and Tennessee is clearly interested in trading for him. Turner had flight problems getting to Buffalo for a visit on Wednesday, so Bills owner Ralph Wilson dispatched his private jet to get him into town Thursday.

Two other teams -- the Cowboys and Jets -- are monitoring the talks.

It will cost at least a first-round draft choice -- either this year or next -- to get Turner in a trade. Any team that signs Turner to a restricted free-agent offer sheet would have to compensate San Diego with first- and third-round draft choices, provided the Chargers did not match the offer sheet. Expect trade talks to heat up over the next couple of days.

Comment

• jdbillsfan
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              2nd this year and a third next year?

I think I can work.. Not too much to give up for him, you take care of your RB situation, and you still have 3-first day picks this month in the draft; including #12.

Another note: Let's say we got Turner and Willis is gone before 12.. We can always trade that pick down to the early 20's.. Still get Beason or someone like that, and maybe recoup that 2nd pick. If Willis was gone, now that would me a major score.
              I agree.

Comment

• njsue
                Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                • Sep 2003

He is worth a third this year and a 3rd or 4th next year. Turner is a backup!!!!!!! No way is he or any other back up rb worth a second or a first.

Comment

• clumping platelets

Swap 2nd's and give them a cond 3rd (upgrade to a #2) in '08

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by njsue
                    He is worth a third this year and a 3rd or 4th next year. Turner is a backup!!!!!!! No way is he or any other back up rb worth a second or a first.
                    He wouldn't be a backup to whoever he gets traded too...

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                      • Jul 2003

Originally posted by njsue
                      However, the question is whether it is worth trading if that is all he will get back. If you are the Chargers, you would rather hold onto him for 2007 and take the comp pick when he signs elsewhere next year.

They don't have to trade him, the guy is a good player. If they get a good enough deal they are willing to do it, but it isn't like they don't like the guy.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                        • Jan 2003

Why are the Jets interested? Didn't they just trade for Thomas Jones?

Comment

• gr8slayer
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                          Why are the Jets interested? Didn't they just trade for Thomas Jones?
                          I don't know why they would have interest, they have Jones and Washington. Great 1-2 punch.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by NE39
                            However, the question is whether it is worth trading if that is all he will get back. If you are the Chargers, you would rather hold onto him for 2007 and take the comp pick when he signs elsewhere next year.

They don't have to trade him, the guy is a good player. If they get a good enough deal they are willing to do it, but it isn't like they don't like the guy.
                            They won't necessarily get a comp pick for him if they let him walk next year. It depends on how active SD would be in the FA market.

If I'm not mistaken, say they let Turner walk next year, and then they signed a value WR in the free agent market; doesnt that even each other out, therefore they wouldn't get the comp pick?

I do agree with you though, they wont just give him away now. They are a championship team and he's valuable insurance.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• njsue
                              Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
                              He wouldn't be a backup to whoever he gets traded too...

He is a backup on the Chargers!!!!!! Just a shadow behind LT!

Comment

Working...
                              X