PDA

View Full Version : PFT: Turner comp less than 1st

Ickybaluky
04-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Yeah, it is just a rumor site, but they say:

An industry source tells us that the San Diego Chargers might be willing to accept a trade proposal for running back Michael Turner that includes less than a first-round pick.

Though Turner is tendered as a restricted free agent at the highest possible level, which would require compensation in the amount of a first-round pick and a third-round pick, no one is expected to give up that much for a guy who'll be unrestricted in 2008.

Per the source, G.M. A.J. Smith could be ready to accept a second-round pick this year and a second-round pick or a third-round pick in 2008 for Turner's rights.

The thinking is that Smith wants to end up with three picks in the first two rounds of this year's draft, so that the team can fill needs at receiver, safety, linebacker, and guard with guys who are ready to play right now.

Turner has visited the Titans and the Bills this week.

That sounds about right. They can't really ask a first for the guy unless someone is crazy to offer them that much, but IMO they are better off keeping him than taking less than that.

LINK (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm)

Gunzlingr
04-06-2007, 10:45 AM
I think I could live with that.

gr8slayer
04-06-2007, 10:46 AM
:bf1:

patmoran2006
04-06-2007, 10:51 AM
2nd this year and a third next year?

I think I can work.. Not too much to give up for him, you take care of your RB situation, and you still have 3-first day picks this month in the draft; including #12.

Another note: Let's say we got Turner and Willis is gone before 12.. We can always trade that pick down to the early 20's.. Still get Beason or someone like that, and maybe recoup that 2nd pick. If Willis was gone, now that would me a major score.

jdbillsfan
04-06-2007, 10:52 AM
If we did trade our 2nd and 3rd, I would love to trade down to try and aquire more picks. There is going to be a lot of talent in the 2nd round.

gr8slayer
04-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Turner in demand
<Apr. 6> The interest Turner is starting to sizzle, writes ESPN.com's John Clayton. The restricted free-agent running back had a good visit with the Titans on Tuesday, and Tennessee is clearly interested in trading for him. Turner had flight problems getting to Buffalo for a visit on Wednesday, so Bills owner Ralph Wilson dispatched his private jet to get him into town Thursday.

Two other teams -- the Cowboys and Jets -- are monitoring the talks.

It will cost at least a first-round draft choice -- either this year or next -- to get Turner in a trade. Any team that signs Turner to a restricted free-agent offer sheet would have to compensate San Diego with first- and third-round draft choices, provided the Chargers did not match the offer sheet. Expect trade talks to heat up over the next couple of days.

jdbillsfan
04-06-2007, 10:53 AM
2nd this year and a third next year?

I think I can work.. Not too much to give up for him, you take care of your RB situation, and you still have 3-first day picks this month in the draft; including #12.

Another note: Let's say we got Turner and Willis is gone before 12.. We can always trade that pick down to the early 20's.. Still get Beason or someone like that, and maybe recoup that 2nd pick. If Willis was gone, now that would me a major score.

I agree.

njsue
04-06-2007, 10:55 AM
He is worth a third this year and a 3rd or 4th next year. Turner is a backup!!!!!!! No way is he or any other back up rb worth a second or a first.

clumping platelets
04-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Swap 2nd's and give them a cond 3rd (upgrade to a #2) in '08

The Spaz
04-06-2007, 10:56 AM
He is worth a third this year and a 3rd or 4th next year. Turner is a backup!!!!!!! No way is he or any other back up rb worth a second or a first.

He wouldn't be a backup to whoever he gets traded too...

Ickybaluky
04-06-2007, 10:57 AM

However, the question is whether it is worth trading if that is all he will get back. If you are the Chargers, you would rather hold onto him for 2007 and take the comp pick when he signs elsewhere next year.

They don't have to trade him, the guy is a good player. If they get a good enough deal they are willing to do it, but it isn't like they don't like the guy.

chernobylwraiths
04-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Why are the Jets interested? Didn't they just trade for Thomas Jones?

gr8slayer
04-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Why are the Jets interested? Didn't they just trade for Thomas Jones?
I don't know why they would have interest, they have Jones and Washington. Great 1-2 punch.

patmoran2006
04-06-2007, 11:02 AM
However, the question is whether it is worth trading if that is all he will get back. If you are the Chargers, you would rather hold onto him for 2007 and take the comp pick when he signs elsewhere next year.

They don't have to trade him, the guy is a good player. If they get a good enough deal they are willing to do it, but it isn't like they don't like the guy.
They won't necessarily get a comp pick for him if they let him walk next year. It depends on how active SD would be in the FA market.

If I'm not mistaken, say they let Turner walk next year, and then they signed a value WR in the free agent market; doesnt that even each other out, therefore they wouldn't get the comp pick?

I do agree with you though, they wont just give him away now. They are a championship team and he's valuable insurance.

njsue
04-06-2007, 11:08 AM
He wouldn't be a backup to whoever he gets traded too...

He is a backup on the Chargers!!!!!! Just a shadow behind LT!

patmoran2006
04-06-2007, 11:09 AM
He is a backup on the Chargers!!!!!! Just a shadow behind LT! You look like your about to TOSS that baby..

Michael82
04-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Excellent! I'd give our 2nd rounder this year and a conditional pick that can be upgraded to a 1st or 2nd next year with no problem.

HHURRICANE
04-06-2007, 11:30 AM
"It will cost at least a first-round draft choice -- either this year or next -- to get Turner in a trade. "

If this happens the team who does this deal should lose their franchise. You can't have 2 starters get less in FA than a backup. The Bills second round pick is all he's worth, and that's alot.

Considering San Diego only invested a 5th in him to begin with, the 44th pick in this years draft is pretty nice. The sad part is that we should have been able to get a second for Mcgahee in this years draft.

The Answer
04-06-2007, 11:32 AM
The Answer is offering a 3rd rounder only for Turner - SD can take it or leave it.

Might possibly consider throwing in Josh Reed or a bag of peanuts - both have the same value anyway.

~The Answer

SquishDaFish
04-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Just like the answers posts = A pile of Dog Crap

njsue
04-06-2007, 11:58 AM
The Answer is offering a 3rd rounder only for Turner - SD can take it or leave it.

Might possibly consider throwing in Josh Reed or a bag of peanuts - both have the same value anyway.

~The Answer

I know that's right!!!

JJamezz
04-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Is TBD down today or something??

njsue
04-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Just like the answers posts = A pile of Dog Crap

Why would Turner be worth any higher pick? He is a back up running back on the San diego Chargers!!! A BACK UP to LT.

How much has this San Diego Charger back up RB done to earn a first or second round pick????

Romes
04-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Why would Turner be worth any higher pick? He is a back up running back on the San diego Chargers!!! A BACK UP to LT.

How much has this San Diego Charger back up RB done to earn a first or second round pick????

He is worth a higher pick because the Chargers have no need to trade him. Any team that wants him will probably have to overpay just to pry him from San Diego. It isn't like the Thomas Jones or McGahee situation, both those players wanted out. The bears and bills were determined to trade those guys let it be known they wanted to trade those players. Where as the Titans and Bills are approached the Chargers with interest in Turner, that why he'll cost more.

The Answer
04-06-2007, 01:20 PM

Don't try to reason with homers like Billsin05 - they don't realize that Turner plays behind one of the best players in NFL history, and the best player in the league right now. They also don't account for the fact that San Diego has one of the best Oline's in the league, a top 3 tight end, etc - all contributing factors to Turner's success.

The dude is worth a look, especially since it's slim pickings in terms of available FA's - and The Answer would take Turner over garbage like Chris Brown and Kevin Barlow - but no way he's worth anything more than a 3rd rounder.

~The Answer

Romes
04-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Don't try to reason with homers like Billsin05 - they don't realize that Turner plays behind one of the best players in NFL history, and the best player in the league right now. They also don't account for the fact that San Diego has one of the best Oline's in the league, a top 3 tight end, etc - all contributing factors to Turner's success.

The dude is worth a look, especially since it's slim pickings in terms of available FA's - and The Answer would take Turner over garbage like Chris Brown and Kevin Barlow - but no way he's worth anything more than a 3rd rounder.

~The Answer

He may not be worth more than a 3rd. But if the Bills want to improve on the "garbage" that are the Bills options at RB at the moment. They will have to pay more than a 3rd. So what are you gonna do? Settle for garbage, hope a RB in the draft pans out, or pay up for Turner?

Sometime you just have to pay over value to get something you need.

*worth and value are italisized because both of them are subjective. I happen to think a 2nd or swap of 1sts is good value for Turner.

njsue
04-06-2007, 05:00 PM
He may not be worth more than a 3rd. But if the Bills want to improve on the "garbage" that are the Bills options at RB at the moment. They will have to pay more than a 3rd. So what are you gonna do? Settle for garbage, hope a RB in the draft pans out, or pay up for Turner?

Sometime you just have to pay over value to get something you need.

*worth and value are italisized because both of them are subjective. I happen to think a 2nd or swap of 1sts is good value for Turner.

The Bills need help at DT. This is the area a first round pick should be used on, not another teams BACK UP RB that has not proven himself. You use a first round on a probowl RB. Turner has not reached that point.

acehole
04-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I am one of the few who agree with the DT in the first round idea. We were weak in Running and stopping the run last year. So I agree a DT like Branch or A Okiobi (Spl) would be my choice.... you have to have a stud on the other side who can eat clock. So not for a first OK......but a second round pick has to atleast be considered. He would be better then any RB there allthough I dont know if he is the BAP there. The next couple of days will be exciting......

The Bills need help at DT. This is the area a first round pick should be used on, not another teams BACK UP RB that has not proven himself. You use a first round on a probowl RB. Turner has not reached that point.

YardRat
04-06-2007, 05:08 PM
I don't buy the 'he's a back-up to the best RB in the league, therefore he's starter material or better than any other back-up'.

He's not worth a first at this point, maybe not even swapping firsts and dropping that much.

I like clump's idea of swapping seconds and a conditional pick next year.

Philagape
04-06-2007, 08:48 PM

And how many college RBs have made the Pro Bowl?

Patti120
04-06-2007, 09:02 PM
I'm with the answer on this one. We need help but I don't think Turner is worth that much. He's unproven at this point in his career. Could he be great? yes, but could he also be nothing more than a bakup? yes. I'd rather see us take a running back in round two or round three and if they don't pan out then we grab a running back next year as there are more options.

I'm in the line of thinking that we keep our draft picks and use them, we've got to many holes to fill on this team.

acattack15
04-06-2007, 09:36 PM
I agree, we should not be giving up a 1st or even a 2nd for a backup RB. Yes i think Michael Turner is a solid back that has starting potential, but from what we've seen he is not a garenteed sucess, so why give up soo much for a big ???.

I belive we should go after him and offer a swap of our 2nd round pick and give them one of our 3rd. That way we only lose 1 draft choice and keep our 12th pick. If San Diego doesn't like the trade, let Turner stay.

I also think we should see wat pans out in the draft. You never know what could happen!! I don't think Adrian Peterson will drop to 12, but i do belive there will be trade possiblities to trade up and get him. Many teams in the top of the draft are looking to trade out of their spot (Tampa, Washington), maybe trade the 12th pick and our 2nd for Peterson. But i'm all for waiting for the draft to see what happens then if the Bills don't get a solid RB in the draft make a trade for Turner.

The Spaz
04-06-2007, 10:32 PM
He is a backup on the Chargers!!!!!! Just a shadow behind LT!

Ok and whoever he would be traded to would be a starter hence the compensation they want is high.

njsue
04-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Ok and whoever he would be traded to would be a starter hence the compensation they want is high.

Let's examine this:

A running back that has accomplished these marks is worth a first round pick:

1. Rushed for over a thousand yards.

2. Made the Probowl

Has turner accomplished these NO he has not.

A third rounder is all he his worth.

Ickybaluky
04-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Let's examine this:

A running back that has accomplished these marks is worth a first round pick:

1. Rushed for over a thousand yards.

2. Made the Probowl

Has turner accomplished these NO he has not.

A third rounder is all he his worth.

A player is worth whatever a team pays, it comes down to whether the team wants the player or not.

The fact is SD isn't going to let the guy go for low value, because they will just keep him. He is a very good player, and has value to them on their team.

Thus, any team that wants him has to probably pay a premium over what he would normally be worth. They have to make it worthwhile for SD to trade him, because keeping him isn't a bad option for them.

That seems to be what you don't want to recognize, that in this particular case SD doesn't just want to get rid of the guy. I'll agree a first is too high, but a combination of picks that add up to some real value (ie. 2 2nds, or a 2nd, 3rd) may make them consider it.

The market bears what teams are willing to pay, and if a team wants the player bad enough they will pay it. The easiest way to set market value on a player is to pay it.

jpdex12
04-07-2007, 08:10 AM
A player is worth whatever a team pays, it comes down to whether the team wants the player or not.

The fact is SD isn't going to let the guy go for low value, because they will just keep him. He is a very good player, and has value to them on their team.

Thus, any team that wants him has to probably pay a premium over what he would normally be worth. They have to make it worthwhile for SD to trade him, because keeping him isn't a bad option for them.

That seems to be what you don't want to recognize, that in this particular case SD doesn't just want to get rid of the guy. I'll agree a first is too high, but a combination of picks that add up to some real value (ie. 2 2nds, or a 2nd, 3rd) may make them consider it.

The market bears what teams are willing to pay, and if a team wants the player bad enough they will pay it. The easiest way to set market value on a player is to pay it.

Exactly, case in point:

Back in 1988 or 1989 (not exactly sure) Marv, Ralph and Bill Polian traded away two first round picks for Cornelius Bennett. Bennett at that point was a first round talent but still somewhat unproven in the NFL. Our brass at that time saw what they needed in Bennettt and they gave up A LOT for him. Bennett wasn't on the market as much as a disgruntled player like Lance Briggs so Buffalo had to pay more to lure the Colts to trade him. That is what we will see with the Turner deal if it happens. Some of you guys will blow a nut when it happens!

Ickybaluky
04-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Back in 1988 or 1989 (not exactly sure) Marv, Ralph and Bill Polian traded away two first round picks for Cornelius Bennett. Bennett at that point was a first round talent but still somewhat unproven in the NFL. Our brass at that time saw what they needed in Bennettt and they gave up A LOT for him. Bennett wasn't on the market as much as a disgruntled player like Lance Briggs so Buffalo had to pay more to lure the Colts to trade him. That is what we will see with the Turner deal if it happens. Some of you guys will blow a nut when it happens!

How did that one work out?

That illustrates exactly that a player is worth what a team wants to pay. If they want the player bad enough, they will pay the price. In this case, SD sets the price and they have the option of holding onto the player. They aren't going to let him go unless they get value enough that it is worth it for them. This isn't a fire sale.

That doesn't mean Buffalo has to pay his price. What it means is they will pay the price if they want the player enough.

jpdex12
04-07-2007, 08:44 AM
I'd say it worked out well. Bennett was a great player for the Bills.

As far as clearing up any confusion about my post, I am agreeing with you that SD holds the deal until they get what they want or it's a dead deal. We will have to overpay for Turner if we want him just like we had to with "Biscuit".

Turner is only worth a third at most IMO, but SD doesn't have to trade him. Turner doesn't have any bargaining power with SD and they would laugh at him if he held out being a back-up. He won't do that. So the Bills WILL overpay for Turner if they want him bad enough and some of our fans will be pissed off beyond belief if this happens.

The question is...is he worth it? We will never know unless we make a deal or see him get dealt to another team that wants to take this gamble. The Bills did it before (sort of ) with Biscuit and they did it last year by picking Whitner, so I wouldn't be suprised if they did it again this year. I mean Ralph sent his private jet down to pick up Turner from Tennessee. They must want him bad. Earlier in the year Jauron said there was a RFA that they had their eyes on so prepare yourselves to see this happen.

Just because we might overpay for Turner doesn't mean we acted carelessly. If we pick up Turner it will allow the Bills more flexibility in the draft and that is something else to consider.

TigerJ
04-07-2007, 09:51 AM
San Diego's choice is to accept less than a first or to let Turner sit on the bench for most of the year while paying him nearly three million dollars. Seems like and easy decision for me. He's an awfully expensive insurance policy at running back at the moment.