PDA

View Full Version : Going to Clearwater Beach, FL next week

mackey789
04-06-2007, 09:21 PM
I will be in Clearwater Beach Florida all next week and i was wondering if anyone knew where I could watch the Sabres games (bar/restaurant)- particularly the playoff games! Someone told me of a few places to watch the games but I can't remember where they said to go. I would love to watch it with other Sabres fans.

Does anyone have any advice??? Anyone know if any places has NHL center ice? Thanks.

Coach Sal
04-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Dave Andreychuk's Grille - directly across from the St. Pete Times Forum (where the Lightning play). With a name like that, I can't imagine they wouldn't have NHL Center Ice :D

Of course the Sabres may be a national game, anyway.

But, you'll probably want to call just to make sure:

490 Channelside Drive
Tampa, FL
(813) 272-1430

Here's an on-line review:

The Word: During Lightning games, you have the infectious enthusiasm of fans cheering and yelling. During concerts at the Forum, the Grille puts on DVDs featuring performance footage of headliners to ramp up excitement. During non-event hours, the parking is convenient - and free - and the bar serves two-for-one drinks. Live music is featured every Friday and Saturday night and on event nights.

The Spot: Named after Tampa Bay Lightning team captain Dave Andreychuk, the sleek indoor-outdoor establishment opened in the early fall in a twice-jinxed location (previously Rivals and Beef O'Brady's). It's a clean and smartly decorated space that's smaller than neighbor Newk's but well laid-out, boasting impressive Lightning/Andreychuk treasures on display, polished oak furniture that contrasts brownish-plum walls. You can see a TV from every seat, including the gargantuan 10-by-12 big-screen jobber. Open Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. to midnight, and noon to 9 p.m. Sundays. Hours will be subject to events occurring at the St. Pete Times Forum.

The Juice: Around 36 specialty drinks, shots and martinis with hockey buzzword names - like the Slap Shot Red Apple and Chocolate Zamboni martinis - appeal to folks from mild to wild alcohol preferences. The Red Line has a thirst-quenching concoction of Smirnoff Black Cherry Twist Vodka, lemon-lime soda and a splash of cranberry juice. A standard selection of domestic and bottle imports line the fridge, with Anheuser-Busch and Newcastle drafts, and a modest and respectable selection of wine and Champagne.

The Grub: The must-have for nonvegetarians is the simply amazing half-pound burger made of certified Angus beef. Wings with unique sauces like chipotle barbecue underscore a meticulous and inventive approach to food prep. The grilled grouper salad comes with a zingy marinade dressing, but the greens are dominated by iceberg and wilt quickly.

The Selling Point: It's got a lot of personalized touches, not just your garden variety prefab sports celeb joint. On the patio, the manager himself performs classic rock tunes, singing and playing acoustic guitar. (The boss does a mean Boss, as well as Billy Joel and Jim Croce!)

There's also a great place called Newk's right there. Whenever I go up to see the Sabres, that's where we hang out before the game and there are a TON of Sabres fans!!

shelby
04-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Newk's rocks, you'll love it.

gr8slayer
04-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Wow, wrong forum.

tampabay25690
04-07-2007, 08:48 AM
I will be in Clearwater Beach Florida all next week and i was wondering if anyone knew where I could watch the Sabres games (bar/restaurant)- particularly the playoff games! Someone told me of a few places to watch the games but I can't remember where they said to go. I would love to watch it with other Sabres fans.

Does anyone have any advice??? Anyone know if any places has NHL center ice? Thanks.

Thats not a bad place to watch things either, hey you never know the Sabres might play the Lightning.....But closer for you is a place called Nickel City Cafe on Central Avenue in St Pete, its a true Buffalo bar....Like the other poster said there is Sabres fans all over. Also if there is a Beef O Bradys near you they will have the games also....BUT honestly I watch all the games at my own house...I have the package and a 47 inch TV......I laways have cold Labatt Blue and Kettle One...

Tatonka
04-07-2007, 11:17 AM
i was in clearwater about 15 years ago.. i was 16 and my father and i were out on a sandbar about 150 yards out.. with fins and norkles.

i see this big dark spot on the far side of the sand bar kinda moving around.. i point it out to my dad, and he says that it is a towel that has floated into the water.. he really could have come up with something better than that to keep me calm..

so this guy on a jet ski comes flying by and actually goes almost directly over this large dark thiing.. as he goes over it.. i see him look down.. his eyes got about the size of baseballs, and he guns it.. so at that point.. i am scared..

but at this point.. we still dont know what it is.. so i am not terrified yet.. im trying to think positive.. maybe it is a stingray.. a dolphin.. something nice and friendly...

2 seconds later, i guess startled from the jet ski.. this "thing" swims over the sand bar, which is only about 3 or 4 feet deep.. and as it swims over.. the fin on its back slowly appears then disappears between us and the beach.. it clearly is not a towel.. it is a big as ****ing sand shark.

at this point, i am having flashbacks to every one of the worst scenes in jaws.. i could literally hear my heart beating in my ear drums.

we had no choice but to sit there while this thing circled us for 5 minutes.. every time it circled it got closer.. it got to the point where my dad was actually trying to hit it with his snorkel. the shark clearly didnt give 2 ****s about the snorkel slapping.

so finally my dad looks me dead in the eyes and tells me that when the shark swims back to the ocean side of the sandbar, we are going to haul ass and swim back to the shore.. my dad assures me that he would swim behind me so if anyone got bit, it would be him.. again.. we are 150 yards out.. it is not a short swim.. i am so terrified that i actually have tears streaming down my face.. i am sure we are going to die.

he says go and i think i actually walked on the water like jesus i was swimming so fast.. my dad is literally swimming backwards while this shark slowly swims along with him. up until about 50 feet.. i am screaming "SHARK!!!" at the top of my lungs.. just like in the movies..

the whole thing seems sureal to me thinking back about it.. definately the most prolonged state of true terror i have ever felt..

they had boats all over the place within 20 minutes and actually caught the shark.. it was 13 feet long.. which doesnt seem big.. it is not like a 30 foot great white.. but let me tell you.. stand next to a 13 foot shark and see how small you feel.

anyways.. i thought i would share my story about clearwater, florida.

BSU Drew
04-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I just got back from the Tampa / Clearwater area.. you'll love it. Go to the bar across from the St Petes Forum.

feelthepain
04-07-2007, 01:01 PM

Holliday Inn Surfside, right on the beach as you come across the causway the road will split and you'll go over a small bridge as you come to the main strip, it will be right in front of you.

tampabay25690
04-08-2007, 12:55 PM
The Tampa are is known as some of the most shark infested waters in the world......I have seen a few and friends of mine catch them like you catch a BASS in Lake Erie.....Summer time is the worst but when it gets cooler they go farther out...ENJOY your time why you are down here because I love living here now...