PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Williams/Dan Patrick Show

!Papacrunk!
04-07-2007, 09:18 AM
An interesting interview, even if it's coming from a non-Bills player:
DAN PATRICK RADIO SHOW LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?context=podcast&id=2828373)

RADIO SHOW TRANSCRIPT (http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2007/04/rickys_transcri.html)

.....there’s a clinically evaluation and then the medical part of the program. You know they’ll sit and they’ll talk and they’ll make a decision and I’m sure they’ll give a recommendation to the commissioner, but basically part of the drug program; half of it is testing and the other half you have to talk to someone on a weekly basis. And I think for the most part as long as you follow the rules then you have a pretty good shot to be reinstated
DP – last time you were tested

RW: the last time I was tested was two minutes ago.

DP – Did you pass?

RW: I’m sure

DP: Last time you were high?

RW: It’s been maybe three years, almost.

KO: Has the feel of a parole board…what sort of impact does that have on you?

RW: Well I’m ok with it; I mean I’ve been in the program for… 4 years. So I’m okay with it, I understand it is just a process and the decisions that I’ve made put me in here and so it was tough at first and I’ve learned to deal with it and its good practice for me following the rules.

DP: If you weren’t playing football would you be getting high?

RW: No, no. Again it comes back to asking why are you doing this. I have had a lot of time to ask myself why and I was very fortunate when I retired a couple of years ago I left the country I went to travel, you could say to find myself, I was on a soul searching journey. And what I found was yoga, and I don’t mean the exercise part of yoga I mean the spiritual practice part of it. And through these practices you know meditation and etc. I found a way to relax without having to use anything and even more so to nip in the bud the things that cause stress to me. Because I have a spiritual practice now I don’t have as much stress one and two when the stress comes I have better ways to deal with it

KO: When you talk to people who don’t have any experiential reference to playing pro-sports or being in the public limelight… that they can’t understand what why there would be stress involved in playing football and making a lot of money?

RW: I think that with people that value the things that I gave up, it’s difficult. Because we all experience stress and what happens is when we value what we want more than we value the stress, then we deal with the stress, it’s ok. But when we value something more, we value that relaxation we value that peace of mind then you know we do things alcohol, drugs, sex, other things we do to get that relaxation other places.

KO: Give us an example of one thing that was stressful in the NFL that you couldn’t handle without marijuana

RW: I think the physical pain and having to play through the physical pain is probably the most stressful, And the second is, in the situation I was in, we had a decent offense, we had a great defense but our coach was predominantly a defensive coach and so every time we threw the ball it seemed that it was an interception or something really bad happened and so what our offense just turned into was give the ball to Ricky and play defense. And to me that wasn’t really football. But at the same time I had a lot of respect for this coach and so I didn’t say anything, I didn’t do anything and also our line wasn’t doing a very good job blocking. So I was kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

here's my favorite quote from the interview:

DP: I get the feeling that you’ll run over a line backer and then say “I’m really sorry about that,” and then help him up.

RW: That’s ok, he still got ran over (everyone laughs)

Love him or hate him, Ricky Williams has always been a very intriguing person, quite a odd duck, not your average football player and not your average person. I really hope he's able to come back and join the team, the past is the past.

gil
04-07-2007, 09:23 AM
I've been hard on guys like Pacman and whatnot, but I have never thought Ricky was in their league as far as troublemakers go. He seems like a pretty cool cat - my only issue with him was the way he left his team, without really giving anyone any notice.

But, I hope he gets back in.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-07-2007, 09:37 AM
The threat of having to play in Canada would scare me straight too.

feelthepain
04-07-2007, 09:57 AM
I've been hard on guys like Pacman and whatnot, but I have never thought Ricky was in their league as far as troublemakers go. He seems like a pretty cool cat - my only issue with him was the way he left his team, without really giving anyone any notice.

I give Ricky a little latitude on that decision. He was way over used in the two seasons leading up to the retirement. DW had the chance to make some changes to the Dolphins lineup, but did nothing. Heading into yet another season full of give Ricky the ball 40 times a game and play defense. Ricky was tired and was getting abused, I can't say as I blame him entirly for his decision. I think Ricky has started to mature and figure out how important and rare his opportunity and his talent are, he still has the chance to have a decent career. I think he will contribute a great deal be it with Miami or someone else, though I hope it's Miami.

Illmatic15
04-07-2007, 11:00 AM
The threat of having to play in Canada would scare me straight too.

He loved it here in canada, he was freakin leading a caribana parade lol..

Tatonka
04-07-2007, 11:42 AM

i agree.

Tatonka
04-07-2007, 11:43 AM
ricky seems like a marv guy now...

:couch:

:snicker:

Meathead
04-07-2007, 12:19 PM
i would love having him here right now

mikemac2001
04-07-2007, 08:14 PM
the thing is RW could have been something real special and just puffed it away thats what i hate

gil
04-07-2007, 09:24 PM
the NFL can use a few guys like Ricky who march to their own drummer in the sense that he doesn't seem to be all about the money, the girls, the fame, etc., etc., - granted he's not a role model, but being a philosophy major myself, I appreciate the guy who takes off to India for a while to "figure himself out" kinda like Larry Darrell in the Razor's Edge.

Dozerdog
04-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Hasn't smoked in 3 years?

:liar:

gr8slayer
04-07-2007, 10:26 PM
So why are we so willing to give Ricky Williams all these chances but were ready to give up on Pacman?

LifetimeBillsFan
04-08-2007, 01:45 AM
So why are we so willing to give Ricky Williams all these chances but were ready to give up on Pacman?

Because, as far as I know, Rickey hasn't beaten up any strippers or been known to hang around with people who cowardly go and shoot a guy who is just trying to do his job at a nightclub. Also, Rickey hasn't been arrested or questioned in ten separate police incidents involving violence or refused to cooperate with the police when questioned about the activities of the people that he hangs out with. There is a HUGE difference between the kind of illegal activities that Rickey has been involved in compared with those that A.Jones has been involved in.

Rickey may be different and he may have been big on smoking weed and he may have walked out on his team and teammates, but he isn't a gangsta thug who is too stupid to realize that he is wasting his talent by hanging with homies who are thugs that don't care what they do because they have nothing to lose. To the best of my knowledge, Rickey and his friends haven't hurt anyone--except, arguably themselves--while a decent, hard-working man is lying in a hospital right now, totally paralyzed for the rest of his life (which will undoubtedly be shorter than it otherwise would have been) because of PacMan and the actions of one of PacMan's friends--and, as of now, that man is unlikely to ever receive any justice or fair recompense for the injuries that he sustained because PacMan will not cooperate with the police investigation of that man's shooting. If that isn't reason enough to see Rickey and his offenses in a different light than PacMan, I don't know what is!

feldspar
04-08-2007, 04:18 AM
Hasn't smoked in 3 years?

:liar:

I believe that. Why not? It's been 3 years since he "retired." Over 3 years since he tested positive. He was suspended for a year (last year) for taking an herbal dietary supplement that the league disallows.

feldspar
04-08-2007, 04:18 AM

If you don't already know, there is no telling you.

If you know the stories of both men, you should at least agree than Pacman's behavior is WAY worse than Ricky's. Following that obvious premise, it should follow that Pacman's punishment should AT LEAST equal Ricky's. Therefore, Pacman should be suspended for a year at least.

Pacman has some sort of run-in with the law every 2 months on average. Ricky has never been in trouble with the law. Pacman Jones is a menace to society. 3 people being shot (one palarlysed) cannot be compared to a guy smoking weed. Weed is nothing.

!Papacrunk!
04-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Weed is nothing.

it's enough for some people to saddle up on their high horses

ParanoidAndroid
04-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Because, as far as I know, Rickey hasn't beaten up any strippers or been known to hang around with people who cowardly go and shoot a guy who is just trying to do his job at a nightclub. Also, Rickey hasn't been arrested or questioned in ten separate police incidents involving violence or refused to cooperate with the police when questioned about the activities of the people that he hangs out with. There is a HUGE difference between the kind of illegal activities that Rickey has been involved in compared with those that A.Jones has been involved in.

Rickey may be different and he may have been big on smoking weed and he may have walked out on his team and teammates, but he isn't a gangsta thug who is too stupid to realize that he is wasting his talent by hanging with homies who are thugs that don't care what they do because they have nothing to lose. To the best of my knowledge, Rickey and his friends haven't hurt anyone--except, arguably themselves--while a decent, hard-working man is lying in a hospital right now, totally paralyzed for the rest of his life (which will undoubtedly be shorter than it otherwise would have been) because of PacMan and the actions of one of PacMan's friends--and, as of now, that man is unlikely to ever receive any justice or fair recompense for the injuries that he sustained because PacMan will not cooperate with the police investigation of that man's shooting. If that isn't reason enough to see Rickey and his offenses in a different light than PacMan, I don't know what is!

I sincerely wish someone would start going Wyatt Earp on the friggin' gang bangers. As far as I am concerned, they would better serve the planet as fertilizer. Now I will go and think about what I just wrote because I kind of feel bad.

Saratoga Slim
04-09-2007, 09:53 AM
I sincerely wish someone would start going Wyatt Earp on the friggin' gang bangers. As far as I am concerned, they would better serve the planet as fertilizer. Now I will go and think about what I just wrote because I kind of feel bad.

Why feel bad. There are a helluva lot of people that have grown up in terrible neighborhoods with broken families and a dearth of role models. Not everyone has a choice about their poverty, but everyone has a choice as to whether to turn to gang violence. I can forgive a guy that sticks up a liquor store b/c he needs to eat, but not the criminals that perpetrate gratuitous violence and gang activity. I really could care less how those lowlifes are dealt with.

Saratoga Slim
04-09-2007, 09:54 AM

there's a big difference between Ricky and Pacman. Ricky's only hurt himself through his lifestyle choices. You can't say that for Pacman.

TedMock
04-09-2007, 10:06 AM
I have no problem with letting Ricky back in. There are a few things to this. He was a pot smoker. At one time in my life - so was I. I haven't been in many, many years. I realize what it does/what it did. I'm a husband, a father of two, have a graduate degree and a great job. Like Ricky; I have never beat up a woman and I have never sent my friends in to shoot somebody. I don't put smoking weed in a category even remotely close to these crimes. It's wrong, it's illegal, it should be dealt with accordingly, but it's not attempted murder.

Also, Ricky has a legit mental disorder that he has succsessfully dealt with. I've never had depression or social anxiety disorder, so I can't sit here and pretend that I know much about it. For this reason I can't sit here and tell him to suck it up because he's making millions. I have no idea what these disorders feel like. Apparently, leaving millions of dollars to live without the hassle was worth it to him. He appears to have straightened out and he's continuously tested, so I have no problem with him getting a last chance. This is it though. Do it, or don't, but now that you're better this is the final opportunity. A line eventually has to be drawn.

JP isn't a weed guy as far as we know, but he's a different cat just like Ricky. Spiritual, into the arts etc. I personally feel that it's a good thing for guys like this to be pro-athletes. You don't have to be in the "dumb jock" mold to be a great athlete. You can be your own person.

As far as I know; for all that Ricky did wrong, he was never an a-hole. He was mixed up and confused, but not a jerk.

HHURRICANE
04-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Ricky suffered from an anxiety disorder. Something that I spent thousands of dollars to recover from. A good CBT all but guarantee's a 100% cure rate.

Ricky, himself, is the only real victim.

Pacman suffers from a personality disorder. The cure rate on this is 10% and unfortunately everyone he gets near is the victim.

Pacman and Ricky are in completely different universes on this one.

The King
04-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Id like to see him run see what kind of shape he is in. Call me crazy and I know you will... he could be a realitively cheap fix at RB maybe a 4th or 5th rounder.

feelthepain
04-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Id like to see him run see what kind of shape he is in. Call me crazy and I know you will... he could be a realitively cheap fix at RB maybe a 4th or 5th rounder.

There's no way Miami gives him up for so little. He is cheap somewhere near league minimum this year and his talent far exceeds a 4th or 5th rounder. My guess is teams won't offer enough for Miami to let him go, therefore he will be a Dolphin this year and maybe we trade him next year.