PDA

View Full Version : The #23 pick......

clumping platelets
03-11-2003, 06:44 AM
What can we expect from the #23 overall? Of course, the draft is a :horse: crapshoot, but quality players can be had at this position of rd 1.

2002: Oakland selected LB Napoleon Harris from Northwestern
2001: New Orleans selected RB Deuce McAllister from Ole Miss
2000: Carolina selected DB Rashard Anderson from Jackson St
1999: Buffalo selected CB Antoine Winfield from Ohio St :)
1998: Oakland selected OL Mo Collins from Florida
1997: Buffalo selected RB Antowain Smith from Houston
1996: Detroit selected C/G Jeff Hartings from Penn St
1995: New England selected CB Ty Law from Michigan

Only the pick of DB Rashard Anderson can be considered a bust. However, a couple of picks later, Minnesota took DT Chris Hovan from Boston College. In 1996, Bills selected some guy named Moulds right after Detroit took Hartings.

Bufftp
03-11-2003, 06:58 AM
great post clump! what value players do you think will be around at 23 this year!

clumping platelets
03-11-2003, 07:12 AM
You must have ESP bufftp :chuckle:

I believe the Bills can draft any position in rd 1 except QB, RB, K, or P

YES.....WR could be a consideration if we are unable to sign a FA.

Some players that I expect to be available at #23 and that could help the Bills (in no particular order):

TE Jason Witten(Tennessee): Dave Moore is 32 and recently acquired Mark Campbell will be UFA after 2003. I believe he's the only true "do-it-all" TE available in the draft.

DT Kenny Peterson(Ohio St): Versatile player who can play any position on DL IMO. Anyone who has seen any of my draft related posts, will understand that I move a player up because of versatility. However, I think he would excel inside at DT.

FS/CB Rashean Mathis(Bethune-Cookman): Small-school prospect rising on the draft boards. May be someone that can be drafted a few picks later. He's a coverage FS, not heard much about him being a overly physical player, but we need a "ball hawk" at FS. Someone with the CB instincts and coverage abilities.

DT Ty Warren(Texas A&M): Tom Donahoe saw him first hand last week at the Aggies Pro-Day. He also provides a measure of versatility as he can play DE as well.

A couple players I want the Bills to stay away from..

WR Kelley Washington(Tennessee): I don't care if he's still available in rd 4, he's a major-league egomaniac and has been injury-prone.

DT Rien Long(Washington St): Too soft a player for his size. Needs a killer-instinct. I think he came out of colege too early.

:scared: I wonder how ingtar33 will respond ;)

clumping platelets
03-11-2003, 07:27 AM
#23 pick could be a target for teams to trade up as well. Last part of rd 1:

23) Buffalo(ATL)
24) Indy
25) NYG
26) SF
27) PITT*
28) TENN
29) GB*
30) PHIL
31) OAK*
32) OAK(TB)*

2nd rd

33) CIN*
34) DET
35) CHI*
36) HOU
37) ARIZ*

Pitt, GB, Oak, Cin, Chi, and Ariz are all teams rumored to be looking at QB's. A few QB's (Grossman, Boller, and Ragone) could still be on the board and with a number of teams at the end of the first and top of the second needing QB's, Bills could trade down to say #29 (swap spots with GB) and get the guy I want DB Rashean Mathis (I really want DT Kevin Williams(Okla ST), but he's now a solid top 15 pick).

Earthquake Enyart
03-11-2003, 07:32 AM
You're right about the QB's. This could turn out to be sweet.

But who's to say TD doesn't trade up? :ontome:

clumping platelets
03-11-2003, 07:38 AM
Now with all that being said............my latest Bills' mock draft. Bills will not qualify for comp picks.

I will trade down in rd 1 and add a 3rd and also trade down in rd 3 to add a 5th

1) DB Rashean Mathis(Bethune-Cookman)
2) DT Jarret Johnson(Auburn)
3) WR Billy McMullen(Virginia)
3) TE Robert Johnson(Auburn)
4) C/G Bruce Nelson(Iowa)
5) RB B.J. Askew(Michigan)
5) LB Mario Haggan(Mississippi St)
6) OL Jordan Black(Notre Dame)
7) DE Dan Rumishek(Michigan)

clumping platelets
03-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
You're right about the QB's. This could turn out to be sweet.

But who's to say TD doesn't trade up? :ontome:

Well, I wouldn't put it past him :chuckle:

BUT ONLY if it's for DT Kevin Williams!! :up:

Ebenezer
03-11-2003, 07:47 AM
You know what I say almost every year...trade down and get the extra pick...Buttler never did it and there were plenty of years that he should have.

WG
03-11-2003, 08:13 AM
I can't wait for the schedule to come out now. I wanna start planning for games.

At least the excitement of the draft has been brought back this year!

Ingtar33
03-11-2003, 09:00 AM
Great post clump... :bf1:

I think your pretty much right on with everything here, I also don't like Ryan Long, and I don't think Washington's as bad an egg as you do... healthy arrogance is what I call it... But that Said I don't disagree with your assessments.

BTW: I'm not that big a fan of Peterson...

As to your draft... I probably would have done a few things differently, but fairly good (probably better than teams like Cinci will manage).

clumping platelets
03-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Thanks ingtar :D

casdhf
03-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Ya hear that clump? You could run the Bengals.

SoCalBillsFan
03-11-2003, 06:10 PM
MATHIS!!

I really like this kid from what I have read about him, and it fills what hopefully will be our biggest weakness on D (if we can sign a DT!)

He could be a good FS

Tatonka
03-11-2003, 06:25 PM
ingtar, i would like to see your mock draft.. you dont have to do long write ups or anything.. just throw your 7 picks or so out there..

also, clump.. no DE till the 7th round?

clumping platelets
03-12-2003, 07:39 AM
Jarret Johnson can play some DE but his primary position is DT

Our DEs
Marcus Jones
Aaron Schobel
Keith McKenzie
Ryan Denney
Andy Bowers

and in definite passing downs......I bet Jeff Posey plays some DE

I think we have the makings of a decent 4 man rotation at DE. It all depends on how healthy Marcus Jones ends up being though. If Bills go DE early, then maybe Jones isn't as ready as we hope

Ebenezer
03-12-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by casdhf
Ya hear that clump? You could run the Bengals.

Cas, that screaming banshie in your avatar could run the Bengals better than Mike Brown.

Captain gameboy
03-12-2003, 08:38 AM
I like your no. 3. WR Billy McMullen from Virginia.
I've watched him very closely for the last three years. He's big, 6'4 and 208. I can't find his 40 time anywhere. I know he's not a pure burner, but he has great route skills, great hands, ocassionally acrobatic, and is a very smart, character guy.
Comes from a program that had no real passing game until this year-no QB. Has been coached in an NFL type system with Al Groh, ex Jets HC.
Somebody is gonna like him. If he was 1-2 tenths faster, he'd be up a round or two.

TigerJ
03-12-2003, 08:41 AM
I think McMullen runs in the 4.5-4.55 range. I remember seeing that somewhere. Can't recall where. That's not bad for a big guy.

Captain gameboy
03-12-2003, 08:47 AM
Sounds about right Tiger. He's big and smart.

TedMock
03-12-2003, 09:11 AM
What about Mike Doss out of Ohio State? He's not a speedster but he's a hitter and has a natural knack for the game. His instincts make up for his lack of speed which is obvious through his big play ability. He always seemed to make the huge play when necessary.

The Spaz
03-12-2003, 10:19 AM
How many times must this be said Mike Doss is a SS! There is a difference or else they would just be called a safety. Go Bills!

TedMock
03-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by The Spaz
How many times must this be said Mike Doss is a SS! There is a difference or else they would just be called a safety. Go Bills!

I know the difference between free and strong. I actually played strong in college. Thanks for the *****, wise ass remark though. What I was getting at is the instinctive, playmaking ability. Some players make the positional transition and are very successful. My only hangup is the speed thing but instinct if very underrated. I was thinking along the line of the old Bills philosophy of "best player available".