PDA

View Full Version : Who is the last valuable Bills FA Wilson has retained?

patmoran2006
04-08-2007, 10:55 AM
I know this may sound like a dig at Wilson, and maybe unconciously it is... But who is the last Buffalo free agent that was of good value that we have retained (by retained I mean signing him to a multi-year deal, not tagging him like we did to Clements last year)

The last one I could think of Eric Moulds, who we resigned in 2001.

Seriously, maybe I'm forgetting. Is he the last really valuable FA (at the time) that we resigned?

Mr. Pink
04-08-2007, 10:59 AM
Jason Peters comes to mind...seeing he's our best offensive lineman.

patmoran2006
04-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Peters wasn't an unrestricted FA. But I'll give ya that we did lock him up before he could become one.

As far as a FA goes, unless Im forgetting someone (possible) I think its Moulds six years ago.

YardRat
04-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Aaron Schobel.

patmoran2006
04-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Aaron Schobel.
Great player.. Was he ever a FA though?

ddaryl
04-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Let's not take digs at Ralph. I seriously doubt its his iron fist making any of the decisions on who stays and who goes.

Marv and Co. are the ones determining who needs to stay and who goes, and Marv said on his 1st day of the job there will be lots of work to do and decisions to be made. I believe Marv and Co. are exercising THEIR rebuild plan that drags us out from the Tom Donablow rebuild plan. It'll be painful in the beginning but you can't expect Marv and Co. to compromise their plan and shoot for partial success early when the goal is to get this team into a postion to make playoff runs for multiple years.

I hate going through these rebuilds like everyone else, but the problem here has not been Ralph not willing to sign our FA's, it has been Ralph's inability to keep his top GM while hiring questionable replacements.

Ralph was a fool to fire Polian, he was a bigger fool to hire Butler and Donablow (in hindsight becuase I never questioned these moves when they happened). I think Ralph was smart to get Levy back into the fold but that is yet to be determined.

patmoran2006
04-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Im not digging at Ralph, I was asking a question.

So it seems to be that Buffalo either locks up a player before they become a FA (Schobel and Peters); or once they hit FA on the open market they are gone.

YardRat
04-08-2007, 11:13 AM

Does it really matter whether or not Schobel or Peters actually reached the UFA level?

They are valuable players, and they were re-signed by Buffalo. Players reach the UFA market for a reason: A)They feel, or they are, worth more money on the open market then their current team is willing to pay, or B)They don't fit the future plans of the team, whether that is because of age or skill-set.

theanswer74
04-08-2007, 11:14 AM

He was heading into his last year. But if your talking a guy who was currently an unrestricted free agent, Eric Moulds in 2001.

Ruben Brown was the last top UFA before Moulds that the bills kept, but we have not had many.

Pat Williams walked because Tom Donahoe called him fat, or we definatley sign him.

But if you look back, we have not had many top players hit free agency, and we have not had many top players period.

Tatonka
04-08-2007, 11:25 AM
peerless price.. kinda..lol

more cowbell
04-08-2007, 12:04 PM
terrence mcgee was signed mid season in 05 when he was set to become a free agent with clements this season

Devin
04-08-2007, 12:11 PM
Peters, Crowell, Tmac, Schobel, Moulds

I dont care when they are signed as long as we keep the important pieces.

Ed
04-08-2007, 01:06 PM
I don't think Moorman was a UFA, but we re-signed him to an 8 year deal.

Ed
04-08-2007, 01:11 PM
He was heading into his last year. But if your talking a guy who was currently an unrestricted free agent, Eric Moulds in 2001.

Ruben Brown was the last top UFA before Moulds that the bills kept, but we have not had many.

Pat Williams walked because Tom Donahoe called him fat, or we definatley sign him.

But if you look back, we have not had many top players hit free agency, and we have not had many top players period.
True. How many players have we drafted, watched them become top players and leave in their prime without any compensation? I can only think of Clements and Winfield.

We haven't really re-signed a lot of our own top FA's recently, but we haven't had a whole lot either. It has been 7 years now since we've had a playoff team.

justasportsfan
04-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Im not digging at Ralph, I was asking a question.
. you'd have to rephrase your question then. It's not like Ralphy was the one who made all the decisions by himself. He put his entire trust on TD and now Marv.

justasportsfan
04-08-2007, 03:30 PM
True. How many players have we drafted, watched them become top players and leave in their prime without any compensation? I can only think of Clements and Winfield.

We haven't really re-signed a lot of our own top FA's recently, but we haven't had a whole lot either. It has been 7 years now since we've had a playoff team.

Kelsay is one but some people here think he's a tool. Same goes with Denney and Reed.

Michael82
04-08-2007, 06:56 PM
The fact that you don't count extensions that happen before they are free agents is pathetic! :rolleyes:

In today's NFL, if you don't get them locked up the year before, you aren't going to get them re-signed. :shakeno:

So because of this, I'm going to say.....

Jason Peters, Aaron Schobel, Angelo Crowell, Terrence McGee, Rian Lindell, Brian Moorman, Eric Moulds.....

YardRat
04-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Kelsay :D

clumping platelets
04-09-2007, 03:06 AM
So I guess Ralph should grossly overpay to keep players who do not wanna be here? :blah:

YardRat
04-09-2007, 04:59 AM
I know this may sound like a dig at Wilson, and maybe unconciously it is... But who is the last Buffalo free agent that was of good value that we have retained (by retained I mean signing him to a multi-year deal, not tagging him like we did to Clements last year)

The last one I could think of Eric Moulds, who we resigned in 2001.

Seriously, maybe I'm forgetting. Is he the last really valuable FA (at the time) that we resigned?

I think you should do some research on this subject for an article, pat.

League-wide, over the last 5-10 years, how many players hit the UFA market and ended up staying with their original team? What percentage go to a different team?

Coach Sal
04-09-2007, 07:51 AM
1) Moulds never actually hit the FA market. He was re-signed a few weeks before that.

2) Terrence McGee would not have been an UFA. He had an original 3-year rookie deal. So, he would have only been a RFA if he did not sign his extension in 2005.

Stewie
04-09-2007, 01:40 PM
This is the dumbest thread ever.. not counting guys we lock up? Why?

If we let them get to FA, you'd be *****ing about that.