PDA

View Full Version : what if marv played hard ball

djjimkelly
04-08-2007, 12:00 PM
with AJ smith. and told him forget your demands this is what we will offer. you can keep turner for 1 more year right now or lose him for NOTHING NEXT YEAR.

i think one angle no one is looking at this is the year the chargers can get something now for turner next year he becomes a UFA and they get nothing

I SAY WE PLAY HARD BALL AND TELL THEM U GET A 3RD AND GFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEXT YEAR

Mr. Pink
04-08-2007, 12:04 PM
That would work if these things are present....

A. Aj wants to dump Turner...he's publicly stated otherwise.

B. No other team was interested.

On A. AJ might be smokescreening..so it may be a non-factor. Problem is with B. the Titans are also interested. So in order to get Turner we have to do better than them in trade offer.

jamze132
04-08-2007, 12:23 PM
I really don't think that Marv is going to play "hardball" with someone who he respects. Besides, the Chargers have something that Marv wants.

Meathead
04-08-2007, 01:15 PM
you can call it hardball or you can call it making a determination of value and sticking to that

despite all this irrational exhuberance the facts remain that turner is what he is, a former fourth rounder who has established himself as a quality backup behind footballs best rb and very arguably the best ol but has never carried the load beyond a single game in the nfl. could be a star could be a dud as a feature back

that sounds an awful lot like a value of a third rounder and another pick somewhere. thats why i felt the most i would want marv to give up is two third rounders

if its higher than that he can tell his good friend aj to kindly suck his salty chocolate balls

Mr. Miyagi
04-08-2007, 02:00 PM
i think one angle no one is looking at this is the year the chargers can get something now for turner next year he becomes a UFA and they get nothing
Yeah, we talked about that.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=123816&highlight=business+turner

MVP
04-08-2007, 07:38 PM
if jones is worth a swap in seconds then turner is only worth a 3rd.

LtFinFan66
04-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Marv is too old to play baseball IMO

djjimkelly
04-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah, we talked about that.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=123816&highlight=business+turner

didnt see that thread but your bang on bro. i know we need a RB but for lack of a better word screw the chargers they will be forced to make a move just like we was forced with henry a few years ago

Goobylal
04-08-2007, 07:53 PM
There are 4 teams interested in Turner, but only the Bills are truly interested now. The Jets and Cowboys have feature backs. The Titans just recently announced that last year's 2nd round pick LenDale White lost 9 pounds. That leaves the Bills.

TigerJ
04-08-2007, 07:57 PM
The San Diego media thinks the Chargers hold all the cards in any negotiations with the Titans or Bills. If AJ Smith feels the same way and wants to play hardball with the Bills, I say the Bills should take their chances with the draft. They have two options. They can go with Lynch in the first, or take a chance on a pick somehwere lower than the first, from Antonio Pittman to Jackie Battle or Chris Henry, Brandon Jackson etc.

The Bills need a running back, but the also need other players, and giving away the store to get Turner is a bad strategy. Screw the Chargers if they want to play hardball.

Goobylal
04-08-2007, 07:59 PM
There's no reason to make a trade with the Chargers until the 12th pick in the draft, unless they're willing to accept a 3rd rounder.

Michael82
04-08-2007, 08:15 PM
All you people who want to offer a 3rd rounder straight up and say take it are fools! There's no way in hell that all it would cost would be our 3rd round pick. Right now, I'm guessing that San Diego is trying to get our 1st rounder...but I have a feeling that they will finally cave and take our 2nd rounder straight up.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-08-2007, 08:22 PM
:hitself:

Goobylal
04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
All you people who want to offer a 3rd rounder straight up and say take it are fools! There's no way in hell that all it would cost would be our 3rd round pick. Right now, I'm guessing that San Diego is trying to get our 1st rounder...but I have a feeling that they will finally cave and take our 2nd rounder straight up.
Too much. Forget the deal.

Michael82
04-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Too much. Forget the deal.
You won't find a better back in the 2nd round...ifyou think giving a 2nd round pick for a 25-year old RB with tons of potential is too much, then you must be another Lynch fan. :ill:

Goobylal
04-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Nope, not a Lynch fan. I just can't see justifying giving-up more than what the Ravens gave-up for Willis, or the Jets gave-up for Jones, both FAR more proven RB's, just because there might not be anyone better in the 2nd round.

Michael82
04-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Nope, not a Lynch fan. I just can't see justifying giving-up more than what the Ravens gave-up for Willis, or the Jets gave-up for Jones, both FAR more proven RB's, just because there might not be anyone better in the 2nd round.
Ummm....the Bears are cheap and stupid. They got ripped off on that Jones deal. Willis McGahee was forcing himself out of here, he HAD to be traded or would have been a disaster in the locker room. You CAN NOT compare the two! :shakeno:

Goobylal
04-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Fine, take a look at RB's who have been traded in the past. Has ANY backup RB been traded for a 2nd rounder?

djjimkelly
04-08-2007, 09:31 PM
i also like kenny irons

that being said we i think can all agree we can get same yardage from a train + draft pick or picks as we did last year behind a revamped o line. SCREW THE CHARGERS AND GIVING AWAY 12th pick in draft

Pinkerton Security
04-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Fine, take a look at RB's who have been traded in the past. Has ANY backup RB been traded for a 2nd rounder?

i think you may agree that this is a pretty unique situation, when is the last time a backup running back was so highly coveted and was shopped around?

feldspar
04-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Marv is too old to play baseball IMO

I'm not sure Marv could play tee-ball very effectively at this point. lol

I kid because I love the Marv.

Anyway, the premise of this thread is faulty. The Chargers are not in a position to be intimidated or bullied by the Bills over Turner right now in any way. Quite frankly, I wish there was something else to talk about other than Turner because this stuff is getting old.